3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Zwickeys No Mercy  (Read 1044 times)

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
Zwickeys No Mercy
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:55:00 PM »
Anyone have the down low on the new Zwickey No Mercy? Is this a single bevel head? Any result pictures out there?  :campfire:
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Zwickeys No Mercy
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
There's a pix in the latest Trad Bowhunter.  It's a double bevel, not a single bevel.  It represents a fairly small modification of the standard Delta.  They've taken an eight inch off the width of a standard Delta, which one could do with a file, and perhaps lengthened it by a sixteenth to an eight inch.  Don't know what that did to the weight, probably lightened the head to 125 grains or so, compared to 135 for the Delta.  Hmmmmmmm?  Why?

Offline 12ringman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I saw pic in 3 Rivers and at the angle it looked like a single bevel. It stated it weighted 130 grains on their site. I finally saw a pic on another site and seen that it was a double bevel.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
I have some, they are regular double bevel.  They fly good but I think I will stick with the eskimos because they are cheaper and do just as good a job.  I am not a sharpening ace but they seem harder to get sharp than the other zwickey heads.  Anyone know if it is the same steel?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I think they are harder, but they get shaving sharp once you get the hang of their needs.  

I used to cut down the Delta's to make basically the same head, so now...I can just buy them.  They are double taper. The rear edge gullwing shape is a little more rearward compared to the Delta so you get just a tad more edge.  

Weighed three loose ones   130, 133, 133.

This is a good time for someone to urge the Zwickey Co. to offer them unground.
ChuckC

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 02:53:00 AM »
i got some of these, i can get them very sharp but its a bit more effort than the other zwickeys, good head but for the price i would just get deltas
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Well you guys took a load off my mind, I am glad to hear the consensus is that it is different steel.  They are harder for me to get sharp but they do stay sharp a little longer shooting them into targets.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 01:52:00 PM »
the size shows to be the same as a eskimo, but with the profile of a delta, dont really see any gain from a eskimo..I have shot deltas for what seems like forever and dont see a reason to change, think zwickey would have done better making a 160gr or so head
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
ChuckC - that is a great idea; to ask Zwickey for unground heads!! That would save them some work - and allow us to put a single bevel on any way we want to.  
  Dats a shmart idear!!!   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
I think this one goes head to head with the STOs head, albeit a few years late.  It kinda fits in with Dr Ashby's info, longer, more slender.  I wonder if any of these manufacturers read Trad Gang or listen to the current talk ?

Actually....If they were available at the same price as the Deltas, I would prefer them over the Deltas.  I think they will be, eventually, but marketing by the one supplier of these heads means that this new head will cost more.  Always the way.

If Dale or his crew has any pull with Zwickey, they should suggest 1) offereing the head in heavier weights and offering the head unground.  

Granted...I am betting that this is not gonna replace the Delta or the Eskimo, although for me it will.  As I said above, I have been making these for years now.

The folks that will be interested in this sort of head are not the ones that require it to be sharp right out of the box cause they cannot sharpen them themselves,  they will typically be those folks that like to experiment make their own equipment their way. Offering unground versions allow me to make single, double left right or whatever kinda taper I want.  This way ...they don't have to make ten varieties.
Just my thoughts
ChuckC

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »
Though the beginning weight is 130 grains, or 132-133 as you found Chuck, by the time one finishes sharpening, I expect the'll be closer to 125 grains.

If they made their new head 160 grains or more, I think they would have something.

Chuck, are you suggeting an unground head so you can do your own single bevel?  The design of that head doesn't lend itself to a good single bevel because there are three thicknesses of steel near the tip.  The offside layer of steel will always be working against the single bevel cut into the other two.

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 01:59:00 PM »
Shaped like a STOS, but apparently not availible in the same weights, plus STOS is supposed to come out with a single bevel and heaver weights this year.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
Not following Jerry ?  If I make a single bevel, does it matter at all how many layers it is made up of ?
ChuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
Ah...think I get what you are saying.  I myself don't really care if it is single or double bevel, long as it is sharp.   I like the heads for what they are.
ChuckC

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
Took a Delta for kicks last night and made it a single left bevel. About 300 strokes per side on a curved tooth file and about 100 per side on a mill bastard. Knocked off the burr and it was sharp. This was after I flatened the double bevel.About an hour and a half to do this.
DonD

Offline Gene Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
Hence the phrase "No Mercy".
Yea,though i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,i will fear no evil:for thou art with me;thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.Psalm 23:4

"Speak softly and carry a big stick. . . . "           President Theodore Roosevelt

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Yes, Chuck, you can't make it a single bevel all the way unless you somehow distort the bottom third of the point.  I agree that the Zwickey is a good head.  Been shooting them for years.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
Just went and ground up a spare magnus I had.  Had to see it.  

Because of the third layer, you end up with some bulge in the front, but if you keep at abrading the front you can get it so close it doesn't really matter, I think.

You are right though, it isn't perfect.

I will post the thing eventually but my camera is out of juice I find.  If someone else can beat me to it, that would be fine by me.  If you can draw a straight line on white paper and lay the blade right next to it, it can give some perspective.

I will say this... it was a royal "Pain In T A" to do just one side, and I used a grinding wheel to rough it out first.

If the broadhead is already ground as a double taper you lose too much metal getting to ground zero to do this.  I think I will let the guys with the right equipment do the grinding.

I personally don't care if they are single or double bevel.  I shoot deer nearly exclusively.  Maybe when I go for moose some day I will get serious about that trick, but I currently have no trouble with penetration if I hit them anywhere close to correct.
ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©