3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Bows and other questions  (Read 351 times)

Offline dano140

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Bows and other questions
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
Hello!
I am new to archery, and have been bit by the traditional bug bad. I currently shoot a longbow, off the knuckle, and am looking for a good recurve.

I have been looking at Bear Grizzly and Kodiak bows at around 45 - 50#'s. I have also seen a Browning Challenge that I really liked.

Are those good beginning bows?

I also have a question about Bear bows. Most of them I have seen have the bear coin, and are made in Grayling, MI. A friend just purchased a Bear Grizzly, that was made in Gainsville, FL and the coin is a picture of Fred Bear instead of the bear coin. Is this really a Bear bow?

Thank you!
Dan

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Bows and other questions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with Bear bows if they were taken care of by there previous owners.  There are alot of used bows on the classifieds that you should look at as well, see what sparks your interests, different styles, woods, different builders, and if you try to buy a bear or browning on fleabay you'll likely pay more than fair market value, your best bet is the people here who know the values of particular bows.  Your first will rarely be your last as you progress.  Most of us are on a 12 step program for bow addiction.

Hello dano140, my name is Tim and I'm an addict.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
Grizzly is a great bow, that is why there are so many of them! If folks didn't like and buy them, they wouldn't make them. Check out the classifieds here and on other sites, shop around. There are usually tons of them hanging on used bow racks at shoots, too.

Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
posted by dano140:
I also have a question about Bear bows. Most of them I have seen have the bear coin, and are made in Grayling, MI. A friend just purchased a Bear Grizzly, that was made in Gainsville, FL and the coin is a picture of Fred Bear instead of the bear coin. Is this really a Bear bow?
Dan, the answer to your question would be either yes! or no! - depending on how "bad" someone is infected by the Bear-collecting virus.
The plant was shifted to Gainesville in 1978 - and lots of folks considere the Gainesville Bear's no "true" Bear's anymore (but they are of course). Any bow with "Grayling" on it will be at least 30 years old now.
A coin with Fred on it would be one of the latest models. I think it was first made in 2002 as a 100th anniversary tribute to Fred Bear. Not sure though.

Other then looking for specific models or brands I might suggest, that you pay special attention to the kind of grip/handle a bow has. You'll see many different shapes and some will fit your hand and how you hold/grasp your bow and others will not.
Coming from a LB I would stay away from any deep cut pistol style handle. It would always be best if you can actually handle the bow before buying it to make sure you like how it feels.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
Just do like the rest of us...and start buying used bows.You will find one that likes you.As mentioned above Bear moved about 1978 to sunny Gainsville.Yes they are all Bear bows.The Fred-Head coin was about 2000-2003 give or take,but was actuly Fred Bear Bowhunting Equitment Company,and I believe is no longer around,Back to Bear I believe ???????? bd

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
I have a eye for vintage Kodiaks. I lucked out and traded my boss a ultralight fishing rod/reel for a 1965 47#'er. I have been around the block or two in reguards to buying and selling bows. There isn't many makes/models I haven't owned at one time or another.

While the 65 doesn't have the cast as some of the screamers I own/owned, it holds it's own and is no slouch. The way they shoot is what gets me. They are forgiving, very quiet shooting bows. I will be adding a 1966 Kodiak to my collection pretty soon and looking forward to adding more as I can afford to do so. Some of the vintage collectable bows go for premium money these days but as stated earlier, if taken care of, should give you a plenty of service.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©