3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grip Wraps  (Read 662 times)

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
Grip Wraps
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »
I see a fair number of pics of bows with the black grip wraps. Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of these and the best place to order them?

Thank you
BCD
BCD

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grip Wraps
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 03:12:00 PM »
All you need to do is go to your hardware store and buy a bicycle inner tube and cut it to length and slide it on over your riser handle.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Another good wrap is tennis raquet wrap that you can but at Wal-Mart for a dollar or two. It holds tightly and give you a great non-slip grip and looks alot like leather.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 04:31:00 PM »
Are these suggestions for longbow style grips or recurve or both?
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 06:54:00 PM »
Both, in the case of the tennis racquet wrap. I am pretty sure the inner tube would work on both as well.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 07:42:00 PM »
Inner tube could get HOT in direct sunlight.

Offline NorthShoreLB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »
Best type of grip I found so far !!

"Almost none knows the keen sense of satisfaction which comes from taking game with their own homemade weapons"

-JAY MASSEY-

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 08:38:00 PM »
Jbiorn, what are you talking about, inner tube could get hot in sunlight? Go look at one of the archery supply store's online. You will see the same I described for $8.00 for one small grip. It is the same material as a bicycle inner tube, what probaly only cost a couple dollars. I be more concered about delamination from the heat than on a grip. Myself, I prefere my wood riser over in material over it. Jbiorn, just did not understand your statement?
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
You ever touch black rubber layed out in the heat of the sun? Maybe my opinion is based on our hight desert sun here.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
I like to take buckskin from an animal I shot with the bow and put it on the bow. I have a lot of the skins of the animals I shoot tanned and then I use them to make more stuff with. Gary

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Well I guess you guy's in Idaho better put sun block on your bow's before setting them in the sun.  :biglaugh:

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
Rubber Sure-Grip from 3-rivers works wonderful on my Longbow.  Might be cheaper options, but I am satisfied.  Was a tough fit, so I wonder about it fitting anything with more of a handle.

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline brent d.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »
I like snake skin best for a grip.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
I agree with BobW on the Shur-Grip. I tried it on My Hybrid LB and it is working fine. It is not for large risers as it fits snug. I had a time getting it over the palm-heel, but it fits like a glove. I hate to cover beautiful wood, but it sure helps when I'm sweaty. I like NorthShoreLB's wrap, and someday when I have time I may try that, or a leather one. Here are a couple pics so you can see what it looks like.

"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
My Kota Prairie Nomad came with a Shur-grip. Liked it so much, I put one on my Pittsley Predator. Now that was a wrestling match getting it onto that riser!

I recently picked up a Kanati. While the grip is nice, I think it will be better with a Shur-grip...
Chuck

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
I have a sure-grip on my metal-risered Widow. It makes for a better feel in the summer, and it helps with the cold in Nov/Dec. Personally, I like it on all bows, so to me, it's worth the bit of wrestling to get it on some larger risers.

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
For those of you that haven't tried to put an inner tube or sure grip on- if your trying to put it on say a Black Widow recurve or the like I figured out that if you role the tube down over some rope, you can grab onto the rope a lot easier than trying to wrestle with just the rubber. You just pull on the rope thats now under the rubber and between the riser to help clear the larger areas of your bow, Longbows are easy some  of the others not so much.
Store bought inner tubes are not very good looking at all, at least the ones I bought a long time ago weren't. they had little lines running along them and they appeared shiny after awhile- support our sponsors and get a sure-grip, I did after trying to be cheap, although I don't use em anymore, always turned my hand black and I wore one of them out. Beaver Tail looks much better!!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
shur grip on mine.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
The best way I have found to get a Sure-Grip on is to take Vaseline and put gobs on the inside of the rubber and slide it on with no problem. Then wipe it off the bow and the Vaseline under the rubber dries up in nothing flat. I normally cut the rubber off with scissors because the length is too long. Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
not the best pic but all I've got.  

last winter I notice I was having trouble with my 'loose grip' on the wood handle whenever I had gloves on.  I used mountain bike inner tube.  haven't had a problem since and I think it looks just fine.  wish I had know the rope trick though, almost busted a 'you-know-what' pulling it over the wide parts of the riser.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©