3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sealing Staightened Shafts  (Read 253 times)

Offline Rick James

• Trad Bowhunter
Sealing Staightened Shafts
« on: January 10, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
After you have straightened wood shafts how long do you wait before you seal them--do you do it imediately or do you wait a while to make sure they hold their staightness?
thanks, Rick
"The credit goes to him who is in the arena, whose face is marred by sweat and blood, who, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat." T Roosevelt

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sealing Staightened Shafts
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »
I usually straighten one and dip it then grab another.  After the first coat is dry I will wipe it with steel wool, check and fix the straightness, and dip the second coat.

Dennis

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 07:38:00 PM »
I take a different path. I go through the whole batch maybe 6 or 12 shafts. If I'm in no hurry I wait a day and check them again. Then go through the sealing process. If the shafts required little correction it probably won"t matter.

if compression or considerable force was used they might try to remember where they came from after the first lession.

I have heard of folks needing to restraighten shafts after they become arrows. I've had a few bad ones but usually after sealing they stay straight, about plus or minus .005 for the worst ones.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
normally I'll check them a couple of times, straighten, band straightne band....to see how bad or good they really are.   Trying to sort out the socially unacceptable to my grousen arrows and the holier then thou's to my big game broadhead/practice arrows, obviously saving the best of the best for bh's.  

One thing I've noticed amongst those who shoot wood and complain about it is there abuse in handleing them.  Mostly pulling out of a bale.  Pay attn to how you grip your shafts as well as how you pull them out.  It's not rocket science, dont bend it when you grip it and pull it out straight...

Lastly.... Check them often, they are wood afterall.  Wood will warp over time due to gaining or loosing moisture.  Hopefully the sealer you choose allows this to happen sloooowly to minimize how badly your arrows warp.   Not all sealers are created equal as is not all wood is created equal.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
I will say this, I get mine staright and check them and strighten again than seal, but I noticed that unless they are real bad they all shoot pretty good. I mean have you seen some of the arrows of cane and bamboo and guys kill with them every year. I say this in comparison to al. and carbon. Shawn
Shawn

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
I've seen bamboo that will rival carbon.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©