3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sheepeater or Arroyo  (Read 887 times)

Offline Ollie

• Trad Bowhunter
Sheepeater or Arroyo
« on: January 10, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Wow, I never thought choosing a bow would be so hard! A month ago I had decided to order an  RER Arroyo after the holidays. Then I seen the Black Mountain Sheepeater with the straight rattan grip and its calling to me. I find myself searching this site for any info I might have missed on these bows, I think this might be addictive.  :bigsmyl:             Ollie

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sheepeater or Arroyo
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »
I'm going to order a sheepeater,but I want the recurve grip.   :campfire:

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:34:00 PM »
I would go with, I mean went with, the Sheepeater.  I am sure the Arroyo is a good bow but haven't had the opportunity to shoot one.  I shot Brent's personal bow before he started selling them and knew I had to have one.  The turkey (Brent) made me go over to his place and build my own. Me working with fiberglass, now that is a sight.     :scared:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Both are fine bows but I own a Sheepeater Obsidian with the medium grip myself. I own an ACS-CX and Black Swan Hybrid and this little 48" bow shoots right with them. It is very light in the hand to boot.

TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »
Here is a sampling of the grips that Brent provides....rattan grip, low wrist, medium wrist and high wrist.I have the one, second from the left in stock...53#.

Offline Ralph Renfro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 09:01:00 PM »
Sheepeater for Sure!! I have one with the traditional handle, So it can be shot righty or lefty. I've been shooting selfbows for years and the traditional handle is basically what I've been shooting. You'll love Brent's bows.
Building Bows Is Only Half The Fun, The Other Half Is Passing That Knowledge On!

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Never shot an Arroyo but I know you can't go wrong with the Sheepeater. And Brent aint too bad a guy either even if he did make Walt build his own bow  ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
I just ordered mine on the phone. Brent is a good guy. Buy the sheepeater.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
The Sheepeater was the best shooting bow BY FAR that I shot at the Idaho trad expo last year. This bow is light, sure in the hand, and shoots with real authority.

Offline Brent Rudolph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
And besides, Walt WANTED to build his bow!
 "[dntthnk]"

Then the fiberglass started flying
 :eek:

He remembered why he liked osage!
  ;)  

Done a great job too.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 10:11:00 PM »
Sorry, never shot a sheep eater but will o against the grain here. I own an Arroyo and I have read the performance reviews on the SE and the Arroyo is the better performer and mine is very quiet and the best bow for me. I am sure the SE is a great bow, but the Arroyo is all of that. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Ollie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
ttt

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Hi-I won the Sheepeater Spirit at the St.Judes auction last Spring--Brent built it---51@26 my draw length--with a very high wrist grip like I am used to.This bow and I have been in some absolute hxll holes and tangles and thick bush--works perfect for me--its short length is super for the thick and dirty stuff and its  light weight makes carrying a dream.I use a side quiver and have nothing attached to the bow except me.I use aluminum arrows and 2016 @27 5/8---with a 145 2 bladed head.It will be perfect in a blind.Do I like mine?-------YOU BETCHA !!!!-----ELF.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »
Do you guys all work for Brent?    ;)  

I have been thinking about a Sheepeater for awhile, and I am going to stop by his place and see what all you guys are talking about.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
You're in for some fun Tom. Brent is one of the nicest and funniest guys you'll ever meet. Just make sure the Obsidian that says "Vermonster 13" on it is still there when you leave.    :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »
I never saw mine----exept in pictures till it arrived at my door in Canada.I always wanted a static recurve----and now I have a super shorty.ELF.

Offline Pinelander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Does anybody have photos showing a straight away side profile of the grips. With the angled photos, it's difficult to tell the difference of angle in the heel. I'm interested in seeing the difference between a low and medium grip. What is delivery time (ballpark est.) running at right now? Sure would like to have one by April, but I don't think that will happen.

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
exept should be-----except.-----ELF.

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
I think Brent told me he had an Obsidian almost ready to go, he just had to change the name on it.    :D    :thumbsup:

Offline Dirty Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
Sorry, never shot a sheep eater but will o against the grain here. I own an Arroyo and I have read the performance reviews on the SE and the Arroyo is the better performer and mine is very quiet and the best bow for me. I am sure the SE is a great bow, but the Arroyo is all of that. Shawn
You never shot one,but the arroyo is the best? Me thinks that's a bit of a biased opinion..      :rolleyes:     Blasphemy says I !!! GET A ROPE....       :eek:          :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©