INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2005 Southern NY Bunny Hunt  (Read 31506 times)

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2005 Southern NY Bunny Hunt
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
Shawn, They are here, but They do make my pup crazy. They take such long jumps, and go so far, but do circle back. This is a southern side hill, with real thick low ground cedar and pines, below it is thick bramble swamp and buck brush. They are feeding at night in the swamp and going back to the cedar and pines during daylight hours. When they jump they run up the mountain to the big timber, hardwood and large white pines, and make a long circle back to the thick cover. My pup trys his best but, they seem to dump him easy because they are so fast. The three I shot at were bumpers. Two large males and a smaller one. 10 to 15 yards running, but going fast. No excuse  I know. Now they do have runs like deer from the cedar and pines to the swamp. So an older esperienced dog would make it easier for one hunter, but I feel with few more hunters there would be more shots, because more ground covered.
     Mac, I have only seen this kind of hare activity in two places my whole life and that is up in the adirondacks around Speculator, this was years ago. The second was in Maine, when i lived in Wells. They would feed on my lawn and have runs like that in the snow. Around they are also rare, but since not many hunt them anymore I have seen some spotty groves with them in it. Another reason they are rare is because of the timber is such full growth anymore, not low line growth for them to hide from preditors. As you probably know they do not hole up like cotton tails they out run thier chaser. And man can they run long and hard. Also Mac at the rabbit hunt at Shawns, remind me to talk to you about some property in Chanango county. I believe you could hunt when you are at your daughters.

Bryan

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2005, 05:15:00 PM »
Bryan, remember to put the arrows in the snow and chase the rabbits towards them.   :D   I will remember to ask you for that place. Mac~
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2005, 06:55:00 PM »
Mac, Sent you a email but it got blocked   :confused:  

Bob
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »
I will let you in..Mac~
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2005, 09:22:00 PM »
I would take the shotgun next time, just to get one or two for the pup. It is not a bad thing to have a dog who gets behind, when my Ben was young he was always right on the bunnies tail and you could not shoot, he has gotten too old now, but still loves to go. He did ok last year and will do ok this year but not like when he was 5-9 years old. I am gonna take a walk in the morning to see if we have any snow left in the woods and valleys, maybe get a shot or two!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2005, 11:21:00 PM »
Shawn:

Snoopy is fast enough on cottontail, just snowshoe leap so far between tracks that the scent is so spread out, so it is tuff for him on checks, but he did fine for his first time with the white hare. Anyways, you didn't get snow this morning? We got about six inches this morning, instead of the rain they were calling for. Good Luck.

Bryan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
We got rain, I took a walk this morning and there is no snow left, well maybe some in the thick stuff and in the woods but not much. I did jump one bunny and missed a long running shot. It was cold 14 degrees but a beautiful morning, sunny and crisp. I must of shot 100 arrows in the hour and a half I walked around. Everything here is flooded and starting to freeze over. We need an inch or two of snow now and it will be great hunting, the rabbits have no place go because all there holes are filled with freezing water. We ar due some snow Sunday night and I have Monday off so we will see how it goes. Have Fun!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
I have not heard from many of you!! Do you go out bunny hunting or what? I thought we could here from some of you how the rabbit pop. is in your area. I e-mailed Guru about a little pre-bunny hunt scouting for next weekend. We will give a report on what we see. Have Fun!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »
Work weekends, but will be out on Wed. Hopefully on fresh snow for cottontails and then thurs. for snow shoe and then friday for not sure which one maybe both...

Bryan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2005, 11:41:00 PM »
Bryan sound good. What time you gong out weds. I get out of work by 2:30 and could be out your way by a little after 3. It would give us two hours!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2005, 12:06:00 AM »
Sounds good. I can wait until 3pm. I can meet you at one of the exits in Colbeskill, or do you know how to get to Jefferson? I can meet you there and go to the snow shoe spot for a couple hours.
If you came all the way to Stamford, we would just back track and waist daylight. Up to you.

Bryan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »
I would do one of the Cobleskill exits, whichever you think is best. Let me know and I am there!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2005, 12:14:00 AM »
Shawn: Give me a little, i'm trying to find out the exit number.

Bryan

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »
Shawn...I would like to drive up my donations on my days off. I need to get away from work....What days would be convient for you. Joe
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »
Shawn: Come Down The I, and get off of exit 20. Follow off ramp up and around until you get to the stop sign at the bottom of Richmonville Hill, It is a 4 way stop. I will meet you at the stop sign at 3 or a little after. We can confirm more on Tuesday night. Try to be there as soon as possible, because we have to go back toward Jefferson. And time is going to be close.

Bryan

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2005, 12:46:00 AM »
If this is not good for you we can, make a morning hunt on a sat. or during the week when you have off.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »
Bryan sounds good. I will e-mail my phone # to ya!! Joe any time after 3pm during the week and any sat. or Sunday is fine. Curt should be comng up next weekend to scout and stump some, if ya can make it with him that would be awesome!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2005, 01:07:00 AM »
Shawn I will call you on tuesday evening. Sometime between 5 and 8pm. And i have your number if it is still the same from last year.

Bryan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2005, 09:14:00 AM »
That would be cool. I am going out hunting in about an hour. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
"100 shots".....Wow I bet I havn't taken 100 shots in the last 2 months.Needless to say I need to start shooting more.Did take about 10 shots today in the basement.Lookin forward to next weekend Shawn. I could use a little woods time.I'll bring that chrono so we can test some bows.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©