INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 2005 Southern NY Bunny Hunt  (Read 31440 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2005 Southern NY Bunny Hunt
« Reply #240 on: February 07, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »
Morning Shawn!!!!!

Happy Hunting!!!   Chuck
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: February 07, 2005, 11:05:00 AM »
I don,t know what happened to all the rabbits around here but they sure were,nt around basking in the sun.Took my LB out Sat afternoon and Sun morn...nothin....Sun afternoon I hooked up with Bob(wapitichaser)and we went to one of his spots and that too was very dead.Alot of old sign not much fresh.Sonny was on a search mission most of the time and did finally bump one that circled back to Bob and was anchored right there with a canon.Allful lot of work into 1 rabbit.
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: February 07, 2005, 04:27:00 PM »
The bunnies do not like the sun, unless it is below zero. I rarely even hunt on sunny days, it hurts those big eyes with the big pupils. I like right around 25-30 degrees and cloudy and even a bit of snow in the air, that is ideal. I hope we get such a day or two for the hunt. I also hope we get ome more snow. It was 50 today, but they are saying snow for Thursday, we shall see. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: February 07, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
12 days and counting, it's coming!!!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: February 07, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »
Hey Shawn,
I'll be there with my son if'n it doesn't snow. I do the airplane deicing thing so snow means I'm S.O.L.  :(  
I built a neat little foldin' knife for the table. If I can't make it up, I'll mail it to you so you can put it out in time.
You're right near Albany, where's a motel to stay that's fairly close. We might be gettin' in late & may have to leave early dependin' on the weather.
Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: February 07, 2005, 08:31:00 PM »
Come on, come on, come on ! ! !  Just can't wait !!
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: February 07, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »
Took a walk behind my house today scrounging the orchard brush piles for bunnies. Managed to kick out 2 but they offered no shot. When the brown little hares did stop they were in the thickest briars out there. Spent the last hour stumpin and checking for squirrels. Getting geared up for the Sunday hunt in Ravena!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: February 07, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »
Larry, when ya get off at exit 23 there is a couple right there. I will get there exact names and phone #s and post tomorrow. Shawn
Shawn

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: February 07, 2005, 09:21:00 PM »
Shawn:

You going to throw the directions up again just before the hunt? Just the ones from the exit to your parents. Short term memory I guess?

Bryan

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: February 07, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »
Yeah, I will put them up early next week. I am gonna hunt Weds. My Dad has got a new spot to deer hunt and I am gonna see what the bunny pop. is like. I am gonna bring the scattergun, as I would like a few more bunnies for the pot!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: February 08, 2005, 06:27:00 AM »
Just keepin' it at the top. We are getting some rain today, but we are supposed to get several inches of snow on Weds. night. It is than gonna get cold, so it is lookin good for the hunt. Shawn
Shawn

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »
How late is to late for arrival Sat night??
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2005, 07:45:00 AM »
No time is too late.   Tom, anytime is fine, we will keep a spot on the floor for you two and the dog. I am sure we will be up until 11pm. at least., like they say "We'll leave the light on for ya"!!  Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: February 08, 2005, 07:39:00 PM »
We are gonna get it!! Snow that is!! It looks like at least 6"s and as much as a foot. I would be happy with a foot, as a little melt off nd we will be good to go!! I am getting pumped now!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: February 08, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
10 days and counting, it is time to pack and gas up!!!  You can never be ready too early.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »
This overcast day provided a bunch of bunnies. I kicked out 8, missed three. Again they stopped in the middle of the dense briars and getting an arrow in there is impossible. I played tag with one "hare" for about 5 minutes before he streaked off causing me to miss and lose my arrow. If the day is cloudy when we hit Shawns, it could get real interesting!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2005, 08:23:00 PM »
Shawn,
If my daughters condition improves and the traveling isn't to bad. I'm going to try to be there Saturday. (got to work Sunday)

What kind of chips do you want?

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
Lee, hope she is well!! Bring whatever you want, the crew we hav will eat anything!! Joe, that is what I am hoping for. I have been bunny-hunting for 35 years and I just turned 40, a long time and days like today are awesome, I am getting out tomorrow before the snow hits. I started with a single-shot 4-10, if I cocked it, I could not uncock it without the gun going off, so one of my bros. or Dad had to come and uncock it.That lasted all of a couple times and than they would say, "Just shoot it up into the trees", at $1.50 a box you didn't mind, now $8 a box you gotta be good!! When I was 7 we had 6 guys go and we got 36 and we only hunted 3 hrs. My best day ever was 11 in an hour with my dad. My best recently is 6 in 20 minutes in the first spot we hunted last year. I am hoping for good weather this weekend as I am gonna prepare our shooting area and get some hay bales and such. I will post directions from exit 23 of the NYS thru-way early next week. For you guys using Mapquest the address is: 16 Old School Rd. Selkirk NY 12158  OOOHHHHH YEAHHHHH!!!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2005, 06:41:00 AM »
Top!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2005, 10:49:00 AM »
Some memories from last year:  Gathering up at the house.This is where we all got together to shoot,targets,arial targets,and the dreaded STEEL TARGET !!!!

Goin' huntin'

After the first spot we hunted(absolutely loaded with man eatin' multiflora rose!!!),we stopped for a group pic.A motley crew indeed!!

The results!!!  Nanook and Recurver(w/suicide bunny).SWEET !!!!!

The pooches and their ownwers.Ya know what they say about "dogs and their owners lookin' alike"??
Swampbuck w/Sonny and Shawn w/??

After hunt feast!!

Geetin' close!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©