INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Countrygirl fills the freezer!  (Read 8045 times)

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
Re: Countrygirl fills the freezer!
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2003, 09:59:00 AM »
Hi Everyone...

Oh no...poor Joey...sorry about the cavities!

Ky Gal...there was only one morning when I did not see any deer...and only 2 hunts...either morning or afternoon when I did not have them within range...so I saw deer everyday and had them within range everyday.

On Wed of last week...after the guys had not been seeing anything...I suggested that we take a different stradegy...and stay up all day...Tom asked if I had any idea how hard that would be...and I didn't....but the next morning we got up even earlier skipped breakfast but stopped and picked up coffee and power bars at the local HyVee grocery store.  Rick and I stayed up all day on Thursday...from 5:00 am to 5:30 p.m...Rick came down and checked on me once...and I stayed in the tree for 12 hours straight except for coming down once for about 7 minutes...around noon time Tom relocated his stand to a different part of the farm.  

The biggest deer I have ever seen in my life came over the hill from Tom's original location that afternoon.  That is the deer that I grunted in...which came right under my stand...about 5 yards from me.  The deer never saw or smelled me.  I was fine that day and night...but the next morning was really a challange to get back up for the last hunt.  

Hey Fishie if you read this...my Aunt and Uncle who own the farm..call one of the sections I hunted in the Big Timber area to seperate it from all the hedge rows on the property....Tom and Rick also call it the Meat Locker.    :)  

The pics of me in the treestand are not in the Big Timber area they are in an area called the Park...which was renamed the Bates Motel because I took 3 deer from that stand.    :)  

Calvin...what you said..means the world to me!!  Thank you.  Dina
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2003, 10:33:00 AM »
hey, Dina...

Side?  I ain't takin sides...!  Ya just get on here in public and asked the man, "Gee, honey, what do ya want?"  

:)   Sounds by the descriptions of his "retirement bow" and previous Christmases, that you both take care of one another pretty good! Prolly why you both still look at each other the way you do!  

Joey,

They are sweet!  Cutest danged couple together I laid eyes on in a long time. Good to see the institution of marriage alive'n well in today's world!  Good on you and Tom, Dina!

Now... I got this CRS thing going on w/ memory so tell me true, didn't you say early on that Tom set that stand for  you?  Or picked the site! I never seen a better lookin stand location. You flat disappear up there... I see it's a ladder stand?  I wondered how you climbed into a hang on using stick or whatever w/ all them clothes!

I stick by my "weeble" comment!  I'd hate to see anyone with that many clothes on have to answer an urgent nature call!   :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2003, 10:40:00 AM »
Cuter than Brad Pitt and Jennifer Anniston?
Joey Ward

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »
Ahhh Doc Nock...big brother...you will never know how fast I had to move during my 7 minutes outta the treestand on that Thurday..the temp had dropped and what had been a mild indication turned to desperation...the biggest danger to me that day was getting into the ditch which is about 15 feet deep...I could not find the cheater ladder which was embedded into the side of the ditch (a dirt cliff) and created my own path...only by the grace of God did I not land on my face or butt getting down there.

I hunted 5 different stands...the one where you see me in the stand is in the Park..aka the Bates Motel...it is a ladder stand on one side of the tree...I climbed the ladder...crawled over two good size branches with a branch overhead to hang on to and the swung into a fixed hang on stand.  The first time was scary but I adapted quickly.  Each morning I would tie my bow and back pack to a string and then bring them up to me.

When I hunted in the Big Timber aka The Meat Locker and was on the same side of the hill with Tom...I used a climbing stand.  I can go up okay but get a lil scared putting my feet into the the straps to come down at night especially if it is after dark.

I got an email this am from my Aunt and Uncle and it is gun season there now and my Uncle says the deer are not moving at all.  Dina...

ps... we are now looking at wool camo and wind stopper clothing.  Rick wore 4 pairs of pants under his scent locker pants...2 pairs of long underwear and 2 pairs of camo sweats...(at least that is what he told me)...he also told me I need to learn to layer properly...so I am going to work on that!!  My legs were the only place that got cold.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2003, 11:36:00 AM »
Dina, make that first bottom layer pantyhose.

Namath told me.  :saywhat:
Joey Ward

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2003, 12:35:00 PM »
Yeah, right Joey, you ain't old enough to know Namath!  Are you?   ;)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2003, 12:45:00 PM »
Dina,

5 different stands! Wow.  I used to like climbers but I love my hang ons with Rapid Rails...

Speaking of cold.. I remember livin in MT and at 24 degrees BELOW zero,, but dry, and it wasn't as "cold" as it feels at 30 degrees back here in damp air!!!  You can put on all the clothes in the world and not feel warm when it's damp!

Last  year, buddy Carl and I bit at the huge sport show in H-burg, PA and bought some of the morrino (sp?) wool undies..wow!  They claim it won't stink if you take it off right as you get home and let it air out.. I tried it... it works!  Really great stuff.  We have the lightweight and at 16 degrees, I was pretty ok w/o a lot of layers.  

I agree with those above that wind must be stopped to stay warm. I know Windstopper is a Gore product so I've avoided it a) cause that name costs more and b) goretex makes noise. My info is that Windstopper is the Gortex w/o the tape over seams to ensure water proof-ness... I don't like noisy clothing in the cold.

I've used comfortmax and it's pretty quiet and works well... just don't exert... it don't let no water vapor (sweat)out, but that stuff about Gortex allowing your "vapor" escape must be for ladies, cause I sweat big time in Gortex...

I'm sure others here will have had other experiences w/ varied products and Gore stuff to balance my opinion.

Seven minutes on the ground, huh?  Sounds like a record of some sort!  Especially considering all you had to get "through" to get ...well, y'know what I mean, Sis.  

Pics are great. Looks like incredible country in which to hunt.  Wow!  But like we've been warning you... don't expect repeats!   :)   bucks especially know when you can't shoot em!  Critters got that 6ths sense!  You're young...you can live on them memories for a few decades now...  :)  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Thunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2003, 01:28:00 PM »
Mighty fine Dina/Tom !

hope you didn't use up ALL your luck !!!!!  :bigsmyl:  

BTW, email me your addy....gotta mail a package to you, hopefully tuesday.  arra stuff....

Note new email [email protected]

God Bless.

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2003, 01:49:00 PM »
Doc, I remember when he shaved his mustache off for 10 grand.

Even Bear was imprssed with that.   :saywhat:
Joey Ward

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2003, 02:06:00 PM »
Joey,

What the heck did Fred Bear care if Namath shaved his moustache for charity  :D  

Never mind...we don't wanna sidetrack this thread about the rightful heirs to admiration: Dina and Tom on their great hunt...just couldn't resist!

I must be confused in my old age and mixin young and joey's with the down-under critters!

:bigsmyl:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2003, 02:40:00 PM »
LOL Joey..now that I think about it I remember hearing about you and some pantyhose a year or so ago on the bowsite.    ;)   I did wear silk long johns with the other ones from Bass Pro on top of them.

Hi Thunder!...I will email you at your new addy. Dina
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2003, 02:42:00 PM »
Joey,are you the fella that wears an Easter Bonnet to 3-D shoots? Pantyhose just might go well with that.
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline Joey Ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2003, 02:56:00 PM »
Only in April, Tom.

And it's thigh highs that time of the year.
Joey Ward

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2003, 03:03:00 PM »
Joey,please you are killin me!!
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2003, 05:04:00 AM »
Dina thanks to Sparky i will shortly have a Bamboo backed osage stave to finish out!!! He has been sending me photos of the process of glueing and it looks great!!! Hopefully i wont mess up all of his hard work!

I will start a thread when i get it and keep everyone up to date on it!!!

Thanks again Sparky! There are not enough words to express how much i appreciate all that you are doing!!!

Okie Lance
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »
Way to go Lance.  Sparky is a great guy to do that for ya!!  Dina
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement