INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Texas Sweat Update  (Read 15458 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas Sweat Update
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »
I spent about 15 minuted on a cactus ridge the very 1st afternoon, and found out real quick that I'd also be hot if I was a hog....so I headed low, what little low there is in S. TX, in behind a pond that looked cool and nasty.....and I ran into 8 little piggies.  Some one must have gotten their mom cause she was never around during the chase/chases.

Here's the view going in....

Lookie what I caught only a few minutes later looking out.....

Farther back leading into the thick and nasty.....mighty green for S. TX.

OK, now you guys can have some pokin fun....Got one at 4:30, and its twin at 6:30.  I also got two rabbits that evening and was going to get some pics of them as well....but Good O'l Boy JC done sknned em for me before I could get the camera out of my pack.

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »
Rusty,

Take your time and find the 'full reply form' at the bottom of the message box that you type in.  Once you are on the full reply page, look below the box again for IMAGE.  Put the address in the pop up box and your pic will show up on the thread ....not as a link.....like this....

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »
Heeee Heeee don't you let 'em give ya no grieve Terry.  that is just the size pigs I look for to shoot.  I never go pig hunting on purpose....I always go piglet hunting.  ya can carry out with not a sweat, ya can clean and buthcer 'em in 15 minutes, and it ain't never a long blood trail  :) .

Only time I shoot a big pig is when they just get in the way.

rusty -little is better - ah if it's a pig- craine

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2005, 09:32:00 AM »
Ok I'll do it.  i was just putting the url in so the threads would load faster and then they could look at the graphics it they want to.

rusty

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2005, 09:34:00 AM »
Hey Gang made it in about 11:30 last night and getting caught up on all the posts. As several have said already it was a great hunt. Curtis put a BUNCH of work into making this thing happen and deserves a big THANK YOU!!    :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:  

It was great meeting new friends and getting back together with old friends. All I managed to kill was bunnies, (thanks JC, that man is a rabbit cleaning fool!) and like some others have said Stoney's story made the trip. (Appears he's learned more than shooting from Charlie).

Lots of good fun, good food, (Huntit brought some awesome moose meat by the way), good entertainment, and great friendships! You guys and girls don't want to miss out if you get a chance to head to South Texas.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »
Fer them that don't know, from left to right:

JC(Joe), Stoney(Andrew), Tarzan(Terry), Erb(Herb), Jeff Struberg, Dave Stinson, Trashwood(Rusty), Charlie Lamb, Timo, Littlefeather(Curtis), JSOG(John), Doug Campbell, Jumper(Scott), SouthTexasPigHunter(Eric), and Dave Bulla.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »
Here's one I took of Curtis and the hog he killed with the Simmons called "Herb".

And heres' JC with his Bull he caught sun bathing...

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »
An if ya'll thought I could shuck a rabbit, you didn't see Timo, the had me down 3 to 2 easy. Got this unique way of removing the heads.  "[tunglaff]"

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2005, 11:39:00 AM »
Uhhh, JC, Your fly is open!   :D  

Thanks for posting the pics Terry and JC. Real nice pics! I really like Terrys pigs. The best ones to shoot if you are ever presented with the opportunity.

A few things about my Hero pic: The shot looks really bad looking at the pics. It really wasn't bad at all. The hog only went about fourty yards.

As the pigs in front of me got a little wind, the big ones started to circle to my down-wind side. I had a quick decision to make and as soon as this guy opened up a steep quartering angle, I dropped the string on my sinew/osage bow. took the stomach, liver, diaphram and off side lung. Thats the angle you want on a really big hog if you get the opportunity. I didn't have any other options on this pig.

The headwrap I am wearing is A Witchdoctor wrap. I misplaced mine before we left and Timo granted me permission to wear his. Thanks Timo! I cant hit anything without a wrap on my noggin! LOL! Too cool!

Offline Jock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »
Pictures are excellent, do you guys have any idea how lucky you are, living in a country that allows you to Bowhunt and having the enormous variety of game that you do,
I'd give my eye teeth to be doing what you guys are doing.
All the Best!!
All the Time!!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »
Ok, gonna try posting some pictures.  It's the first time so bear with me....

This should be Curtis, Timo, Charlie and Dave Stinson BS'n in Curtis's yard shortly after we got there.

Here's a pic of a pig skull over the door on Curtis's shed.  Them tusks are a good 4 inches long.  Plenty motivating to see that kind of skull!

Here's Curtis, Timo and Dave checking on the BBQ for the evening meal.

And here's Jumper looking over the end result of Curtis's hard work.  That's a big pot of beans he's fondling and that tray of meat has brisket, javie and hog meat smoked to perfection.  Down there on the end of the table are 4 home made pies Jumper's wife made.  Two are apple and two are peach.  MMmmmmmmmmmm Mmmmmm!

Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »
CK, naw...it's just that funky Predator camo.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »
Dave, Very good.

JC, thats a funny place to place the funky. Maybe the Predator has humor?

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2005, 02:06:00 PM »
Everyone,

Sorry for the delay, not intentionally trying to prolong this, just making sure I get it right.  The story deserves to be told with the same justice in which it unfolded.  Should have an update for you later this evening.

AK
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2005, 02:41:00 PM »
Well hey, it worked!!!

I've got 5 more pics uploading to photobucket that I'll move to here as soon as they're ready.  This picture stuff is fun but it sure is a lot of work.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »
Here's a pic of the sunrise over Curtis's shop Thursday morning.  I hate getting up early but I love sunrises.  Go figure?

The guys are standing around sipping coffee in the brisk morning air waiting to leave.

For those who have never been out west, here's a pic of a typical Texas highway.  You can set the cruise and wake up when you get there if you don't have an alignment problem...

We had us a regular CONVOY!  Here we're stopped to empty our bladders and stretch our legs a bit.  Almost there.

Finally, here is the ranch entry gate.  Not much to look at but that little road leads to a real paradise.

Here's our final destination.  Looks like a simple ranch hand bunkhouse but inside it's got a full kitchen, two baths, big screen tv and a bunch of bunk beds.

Dave

Offline WaKeDa BT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
Did ya'll see anything including tweety birds on the way out there? My only experience with that part of the world, we drove 5 or 6 hours without seeing the first living thing but as soon as we turned off the road into the ranch there were critters everywhere. Wierd but a ton of fun.

Looks like ya'll had one WHALE of a time.
"Shoot'em when they ain't lookin"

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
And more....

Here's another shot of Doug, Herb, Scott, Terry and Charlie looking over the first nights dead critters.

This is the main room of the bunkhouse showing the sleeping arrangments.  Notice there are no steps to get in them top bunks.  Some of the guys almost tried to use some tree steps on the 4X4 posts...

Here's the other side of the same room.  Check out the big screen.  Yea, we really had it rough...

Dave

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »
You are doing great Dave! Keep em comming. You got me grinnin again. I am really missing the Gang since everyone left. Gonna be a long wait to Sweat again. Debbie even got a little teary awhile ago on the phone. She said, Im gonna miss all your friends being here!  iI sayz, Me too! CK

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »
Well here's a few more.

This first one is Andrew Kinslow and Curtis with a couple bunnies.  I think Andy got one and Curtis got 3 but it looks like they both got a good time out of it.

Here is me crawling around in the thick stuff.  I'd have taken a pic in the REALLY thick stuff but I couldn't set up the camera and get back in it for the pic during the self timers 10 second delay.

Here's a place where I was able to stand up.  You can see some of the really thick stuff in the background.  I think I only found two or three plants there that didn't have some kind of spine or thorn.  That crawling in the tunnels was a lot of fun but having your neck line fill up with bits and chunks of twigs, thorns and ticks got a little irritating.

In this next one I'm sneaking down a wash or "arroyo" as it's called in TX.  What started as a little knee deep ditch ended up being about a 20 foot deep canyon like place that was dark and cool in the bottom with little pools of water here and there.  If you crawled out and walked 20 yards away from it, you couldn't even tell it was there.

Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©