INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bears in high places....  (Read 13255 times)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bears in high places....
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2005, 10:41:00 PM »
Charlie,

This has the look of a great story.

I love the pictures. I can tell you enjoyed being back in familiar territory.

I think you were the one that told me about Fred Bears' hat always having a little bit of "curiosity" tuck into the band.

Taking the time to slow down and notice the small stuff can really make a trip special. While hunting may not always produce game it will always give us reminders of how unique wild places are if we take the time to notice.

Christopher
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2005, 07:54:00 AM »
OK Charlie, it is morning now...more story...

I had to laugh when Charlie started talking about "fat boy". I can see us; you, me and Herb all in our farmer bibs. What a site  :scared:  .

Let me get this straight Charlie, you were by yourself and inviting them bears to come on in to your call. Hmmm...Boy that does sound exciting. Why didn't I think of that.  :D  

Mo.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2005, 09:11:00 AM »
Charlie, what part of Wy are you in?

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2005, 09:19:00 AM »
I'll get on with the pics and tellin in a bit.

Ray... I never feel alone when I've got my bow in hand.   ;)  

Barney... I was all over the western part of the state. Based in Pinedale.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
Hey Charlie,

I just now read your post....very nice.  I used to live in Sheridan and hunted quite a bit in the Bighorns.  Actually saw a pair of Wolverines when no one but a few game wardens thought there were any in the Bighorns.  Also saw a Mt. Lion and the track of a VERY large grizzley in melting snow and believe it or not water was still trickling into the paw print.  I'm not ashamed to say that I immediately went the other way very quietly and quickly.  That happened in the Pilot Peak, Index Peak area just outside the the boundary of Yellowstone.  They used to live trap troublesome grizzleys in the park and helicopter them outside the park boundary and let'm go.  Don't mind tellin you when I saw that track the hair flat stood on end on my neck.  Can't wait to hear more!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »
For two days I ran the mountains alone. It has to be that way for me. No matter where I go or who I'm with, I have a need to get off alone for a while.

I hit a lot of places that I knew of from long ago when I had lived and hunted in these same mountains.
Places that'd I'd had a bait at some time or another that I'd seen good bear sign in the distant past or sometimes places that just "looked" right.

I covered a lot of ground and hunted high and low... literally!
I finally decided that what I was seeing in the higher timbered areas was the product of a late spring.
Large patches of snow still lay wet and cold in the timbered areas and the shaded sides of open hillsides.
There was no green in the higher meadows and that would be a requisite to both bears and the local deer and elk herds.

Part of my plan was to haunt areas that are known calving areas for the elk. Those kinds of places always draw bears and the fawn distress call I had in my pack should work well there.

Try as I might those first days I saw nothing out of the ordinary. Yeah, there were gray jays and I had a deer come in and some ravens gave my stand a quick once over, but that was it.
It's always possible that I got responses and just didn't see the critter.

On the third day of my stay my old hunting partner Larry Hultquist showed up.

Larry and I go way back and 25 years ago we'd run rough shod over most of the country in that part of Wyoming.
Older, gray and paunchy we still had grand plans and a twinkle in our eyes. Nothin worse than old dudes with attitudes!

Due to some physical issue, Larry is unable to shoot a bow anymore. That's a shame cause he was always a great shot.
Not to be left out of the game, he carried a wicked looking spear.
It would work to help keep a nosey bruin off my six.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2005, 10:57:00 PM »
Charlie,

Come back...wanna hear from ya.  Slow!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
There's always majic afoot when you're with a good huntin bud and I could feel it in the air as we took off into the mountains together.

To the north side of the area I was hunting, stood a lone mountain. It was kind of an after thought as mountains go.

Fairly small as mountains go, it was oriented east/west and much longer in that direction than north/south, so it was kinda long and narrow. That meant that one face of it had a great northern exposure and was heavilly timbered, cold and dark.
The deer, elk and antelope hung out in the meadows on top of it and off the south face. It would be easy access to greenery and critters if they chose.
It was also lower elevation here, so most of the snow was long gone.

We parked Larry's jeep out of sight on the west end of the mountain and worked our way east along the crest.
Every quarter mile or so we'd find a decent looking spot and call for an hour. Nothing!

Larry was starting to have some pains in his back so he opted for returning to the Jeep and driving it around to the end of the mountain.
I'd hunt my way there and meet up with him when I'd finished.

When we split up I eased off through the timber. It was mostly Aspens right along the top with sage brush in the open areas.
The occasional lodgepole pine grew off in the clear away from the main body of the forest and all around, big boulders the size of Volkswagen bugs dotted the mountainside.

I puttered along quietly until I came to what looked like a nice place to call from.
It was just over the crest of the mountain, overlooking a natural bowl.
In wetter years I'd bet that bowl would have been boggy, but now it was dry.
At some time a heavy wind had scattered trees like bowling pins and they littered the forest floor or hung precariously from their neighbors as "widow makers".

I found a position five feet uphill from a desk size boulder. Three little pines formed a perfect background for my calling stand. I put up my Torges tree seat and settled in.

The ground broke away from me and spilled rapidly into the bowl. Off to my left front was a narrow thicket which stretched away from me to who knows where. I had a good veiw up the ridge and down the ridge and hoped that nothing would come from directly behind.

I had been cautious with the placement of all my calling stands. This was, after all, grizzly country and one needs to be on his toes when it comes to the big growlies.

The calling drug on for twenty minutes and to tell you the truth, I was getting tired of the noise.
If it weren't for the racket I was making with that call, there wouldn't have been any sound at all except the sound of the wind in the trees.

I was looking across the bowl trying to make a nice black bear materialize by will alone when a flash of movement caught my eye.
I'd just barely caught it out of the corner of my eye and couldn't identify what I thought I saw.
I had the impression that whatever I'd seen was a light brown color.

My full attention was now on the open space between the boulder in front of me and the end of the aspen thicket ten yards away.
I shifted my weight slightly as I raised my bow instinctively to a defensive position.

Without warning half of the head of a mountain lion appeared from behind the boulder in front of me.

WOW! I was mesmerised!! Maybe I should have felt a little doubt or fear at that moment, but I didn't. I do remember thinking, "wow Lamb! This is too cool!"

There was little doubt that the cat knew exactly where the call had come from. He had probably watched me for a while before making the dash across that short space of open.
He'd made it without being seen (so he thought) and was checking it out for his next move.

I can't tell you if there was any real danger to that situation or not. I can tell you that I decided to let him look right into my baby blues and a big dose of "I ain't gonna just sit here if you mess with me dude" eye contact.
The feel of my bow at the ready and the hard thin string taught on my fingertips added a measure of self assurance.

Seconds ticked away. They didn't seem like hours...no, they went by entirely to fast. I got a good look at his body as he lay there.
He was well muscled, blocky and big of head. His tail appeared to be as thick as my wrist and his eyes were calm and yellow. There was absolutely no clue to his intentions in them.

I guess he finally decided that the situation wasn't everything he'd thought it might be. Without hurry or any sense of anything except a dignified retreat, he turned fluidly and in two short bounds was out of sight.

I sat there for the longest time listening and watching and quiet frankly, grinning like an idiot.
This is the stuff that makes hunting what it is. I've been hooked on it for years.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »
more in the morning.  "[moon]"
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »
Really enjoying this Charlie, Thanks.
More than worth the wait so far, and the pics are super.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2005, 05:06:00 AM »
Thank you thank you thank you!

Killdeer  :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2005, 05:33:00 AM »
:scared:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2005, 06:35:00 AM »
Too cool Charlie!  :thumbsup:  Course I can say that 'cause I wasn't sittin' there havin to look that lion in the eye!!

What an awesome hunt, thanks for sharing.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2005, 06:47:00 AM »
Charlie did you ever take a good look at your last name ? whith Lamb for a last name not sure i would like to pretend i was bait!! juat a thought ----- herb --and it is early
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »
OK Charlie, I now have a new favorite quote!  :thumbsup:  

"Nothin worse than old dudes with attitudes!" LOL

I was thinking that your back side would be the thing to be concerned about.

Tell us more Charlie....

Mo.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2005, 07:53:00 AM »
Now I want to go bear hunting in Wyoming.......
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Warren H. Womack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2005, 09:35:00 AM »
Charlie, Great story, I'm really enjoying this one. Reading it, I felt like I was right there with you.

Thank You.
>>>==Warren==>>>

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »
I had time after the cat for another stand before dark, but I decided I needed to get with Larry and share the story. He was a little disappointed that he'd pulled off after the stand before the kitty came in.

We hunted together for two more days. Larry had prior committments and had to leave and I could use a break.

I decided to hang out in lower country for a couple of days and take it easy. I hadn't harrassed the local ground squirrels yet and would get after them.

From my first hunting day, the weather had been gray and sullen. Beautiful no doubt, but spitting snow and half hearted rain which only needed a a few hundred more feet of elevation to be snow.

That's never a good combination for groundsquirrels. They like it sunny and calm.
The weather had started to turn for the better, so I figured the little squeekers would be out thick in some of my favorite old haunts.

Well, I never did find them "thick", but I did find some. Like the bears, the squirrels were impacted by the late spring.

Armed with a couple of XX75, 2216's sporting HTM rubber blunts I waded off into some short sage where I'd seen some sqirrels previously.

I found the little beggars to be pretty edgy...as they often are this time of year.
They were heading for their holes while I was still 30 to 40 yards away.

By playing the bright morning sun to my advantage, I was soon able to close the distance on a few.
Now if you've never hunted ground squirrels, I can tell you it's a hoot. They can be pretty sharp and at times dumb as a box of rocks.
I've always done better with the dumb ones!

They're hard to hit as you can imagine. A big one will be 6-7" long and they aren't very big around. Matter of fact, I've seen Bratwurst at BBQ's that were bigger.

They can be fidgety too! That means you often don't have a lot of time to make the shot, but if you move the bow too fast they can spook and be gone in a heartbeat.

The first one I shot at was near 20 yards and standing bolt upright at the mouth of his burrow.
I slowly raised the bow into position, drawing the arrow toward anchor as it came up.

As my middle finger buried into the corner of my mouth, the arrow came into alignment with the gopher. A slight stretch with my right elbow and the arrow was away.

Like a yellow lazer beam the arrow streaked toward the squirrel and passed just to his side.
A small puff of dust marked the passing of the arrow as it skittered off into the sagebrush.

I took a few quick steps forward to narrow the distance if the squirrel reappeared. He did!
Now at closer to 15 yards I was presented with a veiw of the gophers noggin and that's all.

Coming down on this shot I put a little extra into my concentration. (like I should have done the first time)
The release was smooth and positive. The huge rubber blunt lifted the squirrel out of the hole and deposited him beside it with the arrow in him.

I made a few more good shots that day and a few more than that that weren't so good.
It was easy to see that a few days of ground squirrel shooting would hone my form to a more lethal edge.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »
:)  I like to shoot when I'm hunting.  ground skrwell is great

rusty

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »
I've had people with no real experience shooting rubber blunts on game ask, "do they like knock them out or something?" or "don't they bounce off"

Let me clear that up with this picture...

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©