INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.  (Read 53492 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
great pic's guy's tanks

Offline Chad Edgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2006, 12:11:00 PM »
Charlie,

My last encounter with horns was more like this:

Now I see where I should have been looking.....thanks!
Here from the King's mountain view,
Here from the wild dream come true...
Treasures of flesh never few! "Jambi"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
Chad now that's funny right there, I don't care WHO you are!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great being able to eavesdrop on your hunts, Charlie and Vance. Hope you have great weather, wind in your face, and many more days of great adventure!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fxe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »
Thanks for posting.Can't wait to see the kill pictures that I know are coming.Hunt safe and have a great time.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2006, 06:49:00 PM »
Looks like it's only a matter of time boys!!

Keep it coming guys,you're getting me fired up for my trip to MT!!

That's a nice buck,good length, high cutters.Hope I get one that nice.

GOOD STUFF!!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
Vance and Charlie,

I figured it was you guys that stopped by the office.  My boss told me that a guy that kind of looked like santa came by and asked for me.  I won't be too close to the office during the midday for a while.  I have to get my field work done before serious hunting season starts september 1st so I can take some time off.  Have fun in the mountains.

nathan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2006, 07:20:00 PM »
Did they look like bushes?  "[tunglaff]"
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2006, 07:37:00 PM »
Smoke from where? 1/2 of my elk unit is closed right now and who knows what'll happen tween now and then. Got my fingers crossed.

Charlie, where you gonna be elk hunting, if I may ask?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2006, 08:09:00 PM »
HA CHAD!!!!.......thanks...that was funny!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2006, 10:50:00 PM »
I don't think they looked like bushes at the time.  I believe they had their "street attire" on.  The smoke apparently was from a fire in Idaho that was putting up alot of smoke and then certain weather conditions dropped it down into the Upper Green River Valley.  It was pretty thick and visibility was very low.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2006, 10:57:00 PM »
Great pics, great story, greatly wish I could be there to. LOL
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2006, 09:33:00 AM »
Chad... I've shot a few there myself!  ;)

Barney... got myself a cow/calf tag for area 94. Will be working it over pretty good.

Nate... we did clean up a little bit for the trip to town. Vance and I will try to look you up once you get set in elk camp.
  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2006, 12:10:00 PM »
Dang it, I was trying to get in the mood to do some work and you go and post pictures like that. I have to wait until Oct 1 to start sling'n arrows. Seems like forever right now.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »
As Charlie prepares himself for this afternoons adventure afeild I'll take a moment to haze up the water a bit.

This whole hunt event that we are partaking in for me has been all about my friend Charlie and another Trad gang member having a SMOKING good time, with the goats I am blessed to have hanging around my diggins.

Over coffey this morning Charlie an I relized that some of our plans have take a turn in a different direction, Elk NOW taking a higher seat in the order of things to come. We have 13 days until the elk archery opener.

The desision has been made  :scared:    :scared:

I have passed on several slick head SLAM DUNKS  :saywhat: .. did I say that  :help:  IN MY DREAMS

I have now narrowed the feild down, with the help of my most esteemed BIG GAME GUIDE to 3 rather healthy males of the species.

We will now attempt to bring one of these lucky fellows to ARROW!!

As I said things have taken a change in our camp so to make best use of time I am being FORCED aginst my will, kicking and screaming to commit or get out of the bathroom.

I guess this is where the rubber meets the road stuff really starts. Put up or shut up. Can this dog hunt and all that stuff comes into play. I am very conifdent that this should not take the whole 13 days, to get control of one of these fellows. I think I can get it done in...well just stay tuned we'll keep ya up ta speed on this........................vance

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »
Oh, we're tuned in all right!  :thumbsup:  Just keep the updates coming!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2006, 01:21:00 AM »
ttt  :wavey:
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »
Just to clarify what Vance said... He's gonna go out and try to whack a buck antelope as soon as possible and switch gears to elk hunting.

I'm saving my antelope permit until the other member of our team shows up. Since I got my hands on an elk tag we'll be doing some scouting over the next few days and that will be the thrust  of what's going on.

I'm not sure what was going through Vance' head the other day when we stalked right up on those antelope, but it sure wasn't shooting one.

I think I have gotten his priorities straight now and we should have something on the ground soon.

I'm going to try and put my game camera somewhere really neat in the mean time.

I suspect there may be a bunch of people "up country" since it's the weekend, so will see what it's like up there and report back... may have to wait until Monday when everyone is at work.

I've arranged to meet Nate Fikkert on the opening weekend of elk season and that will be pretty cool.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »
Anything dead yet?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »
I am thoroughly enjoyin this tale.Thanks Charlie and Vance and good luck.  :archer:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2006, 11:43:00 PM »
Well, I guess it's gettin late everywhere else and I just got in.

What a great day we had. Started out with a little practice at the bale this morning and a trip to the closest store for a few supplies.

Once we were squared away we headed back into the mountains to look over elk huntin country.

I find it interesting that when Vance and I hunted together years ago it was in the Wind River mountains.

I started hunting the mountains we visited today while I still lived here. During the time that Vance and I lost touch, he also adopted this mountain range as his own and lives virtually in the middle of it.

Needless to say, I'm picking his brain for every bit of information he can give... That seems to be considerable.

So we looked over favored places from both our files and I liked what we found.

This afternoon we took off to try and way lay one of the countless trouble making beavers that make the ranch home.
It's obvious from the sign... damns, slides, cut brush, etc.... that there are a bunch of them and their common goal seems to be to turn this valley into a lake.

As it turns out, we didn't see so much as a single beaver hair, but I did play ring around the sage brush with one of the local jackrabbits.

I spotted him hopping along through the sage and was able to ease up within 30 yards before he started getting goosey.
That's not surprising since I was wearing a jet black jacket... not exactly the best camo.

I shot a Magnus blunt right past him and watched him wind his way off through the sage. Usually they'll take off like a scalded dog and don't stop until they are hundreds of yards away. This one didn't seem all that upset. I shadowed him for another 50 yards until he stopped under a large sage bush.

It wasn't a much better opportunity than the first shot, but it was a shot, so I sent a Magnus I his way.

I knew from the moment I slid into anchor that he was mine and so I held there just a second before releasing.
The broad blade slipped through him like butter and he dropped immediately.
Perfect shoulder shot at around 30 yards ain't all that bad in my book and I'll take those confidence builders any time.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©