INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.  (Read 53477 times)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »
Ok Charlie  SO WHAT HAPPENS    :eek:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
Like you don't know...smart ass!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2006, 09:58:00 AM »
Keep the stories commin'!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »
Vance might know, but the rest of us are waiting.................  :p
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
Actually Joe I am waiting to see what he tells the gang so I can compare stories and find out what really happend. See I was on the other side of the willows with my own movie going on,,,,,,,,,,,vance

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
Ok! So you're waiting for the exciting conclusion?

I'd love to say that I was the varmint king last night, but I'd be lying if I did.
That third dog blasted right in and just as quickly zipped out of there, circling downwind as he ran and only offering the opportunity to lose an arrow in the grass and sagebrush.
I held onto my arrow for future use.

As I watched the retreating coyote I could hear muted squeeks coming from the other side of the willow where Vance was hiding.
It was doubtful that he was calling to the animals I'd had in front of me, so it could only mean he had critters of his own working.
I wasn't sure how that could be possible. I mean three coyotes on a single calling stand is some kind of record for me... that there would be more critters coming just didn't compute.

I held my ground and waited...
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
Like anything Charlie and I seem to do it’s always a reflection of what we did in the past, this trip is no different. A suggestion is made and in short order two adventurous souls are lost in their own little “Real World”.

That as I recall was what went down yesterday afternoon, “Think we ought to give them something to read?? Let’s DO IT” and so set the stage.
   :eek:  
A quick jaunt down to DOE ALLEY, some glassing trying to spot the one we want, the spot is made, then come the inevitable question “Vance can we pull this off” I guess because I’ve been on this ranch for 20+ years, he thinks that makes me invisible to the goat herd and if he sticks close it will include him. Or maybe he just trust my judgment when we’re in the west as I trust his other places.

Dressed for the sneak, as we have noted from your comments on posts, I NOW wear a facemask and HAT. Thanks for the "TIP"

Off we waddle, down this ditch, behind that willow and into a small swale a quick peek to see what their up to and which way their moving then off again, Oops no more willows and still need 50+ yards for even an attempt at a shot.
Where did they go Charlie? In our tunneled vision we hadn’t noticed the angle of the sun, it had dropped behind the hills, so now the only way to see them is through binoculars. Neither Charlie nor I had remembered to bring our “LUMA-NOCKS” so we backed off leaving them undisturbed.

Heading back to the parking lot well away from the Trophies, Charlie suggests that we set up a VARMINT call. Visions of the past flash through my brain housing, kinda like those old news reels we saw just before the Saturday Matinee.

I don’t care to remember how many of these calling rehearsals we’ve been through together, there fun but NOTHING EVER HAPPENS  other than we get to tell each other what they did wrong.

Tonight this was not going to be the case Charlie was the only one with a mouth call so the blame was going to fall squarely on his shoulders.

We had picked a finger of willows for the calling spot, I took the North side  and  Charlie choose the South side.

Charlie had no more than broken wind  when I had three jack rabbits busting a move to get to where he was, WOW this is cool I tell my self at least they ain’t running away. After a few more blasts I hear some rapid foot beats behind and to my left. More rabbits, is my best guess cuz their coming from Charlie’s side toward me and within EASY bow distance of him, but I had better take a peek.

Now I am nested up pretty well in this willow bush, NO HUMAN OUTLINE down on one knee, as I ease my noodle around to meet the foot beats,

OH NO a Giant RED rabbit with a LONG tail and a white tip on the end of that tail is prancing around the end of the willow coming my way at 10 feet, but still behind the brush no shot yet, BE PATIENT , Take up the tension on the string, spread those fingers, have I got the spot, get ready to start the DRAW, remember to push the bow arm…..

Damm someone just pulled up in my drive way so I need to run for a bit I’ll get back to ya here short……………vance

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
That's not very nice.  We wouldn't do that to you guys..............well actually, we might, but only because you do it to us.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »
as my 3yr old saz, "What that smell?"

br

PS vance and charlie I sent ya something in the mail today. I sent to others also so if there are some how-to instructions with the outline. don't assume I don't think you know what you're doing, it just means you got one ment for someone else.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2006, 03:19:00 PM »
"Charlie had no more than broken wind."

You could have left that part out.  :)

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2006, 04:33:00 PM »
Hey them coyotes smelled something dead.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »
"ease my noodle around"? What the? Does that work!

lets keep this respectable guys.   :D

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »
What! You can't stop in mid sentence like that!
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
HA HA.  Classic Charlie style.  Leave 'em begging for more.   Ok.  Well I'm begging.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: August 21, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: August 21, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
:banghead:

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: August 21, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »
Did I really do that to you guys   :knothead:        I really am sorry but I had to.

Oh yes Bow arm  pushing. I am set for this BAD boy, Pelt on the stretcher, WAIT WAIT WAIT don’t go that way, NO not away from me NO !!! OK the ole hand squeaky trick.

So now I’ve got a Red FOX stopped at about 30 yards out showing me nothing but THE BACK OF HIS FRONT and this huge Tail going from side to side.
Well as any one knows sticking one broad side is tough enough let alone trying to take him facing away, my broadhead is wider than he is under all that hair.  :banghead:    Them rascals is fast on their feet. Back to #1 where did he get to, must have teamed up with #2 cuz it’s just me and my arrow left flat footed.  :banghead:    :banghead:  What to tell the Trad Gang NOW  :o    :o  

Well to make a short story long, we had started out trying to stack up a goat and ended up with a fabulous calling experience.

All toll Charlie had seen 3 Song Dogs and I had 2 Red Foxes within spittin distance from one hastily and unprepared set up.

I can say that I am VERY proud of my big BRUDDER, since we last did this 20+ years ago he did learn better calling skills. And shouldered no blame for his callin this trip. And

"Just Being There Was GOOD ENOUGH"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: August 21, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
That wraps up where I left off. The third coyote came and went with the others while I was left scratching my...er...head.

I was a little confused by the mouse squeeks Vance was making because I couldn't imagine that there were more animals coming in behind me.
It just never happens this way for me.

Heck, there was even an un identified animal that past us out of range and through a screen of high grass. All we know is that it was bigger than a bread box and smaller than a grizzly.... which reminds me.

Talked to the ranch owner up the road this afternoon. I hung around to visit because he's a hell of a nice guy and because he's offered me access to 20K+ acres to hunt... that's me, myself and I!!!  I'd have hung out with him even if I didn't like him.

(supper break)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
:D  I'm likin this thread, can't wait fer the next installment  :wavey:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©