INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.  (Read 53313 times)

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.
« Reply #260 on: August 25, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
Charlie, good luck with the elk and keep an eye on the fires. Went to check out my elk area yesterday, not good. Lots of burnt timber, it's see through. Got a few spots left to check. Good side of it was we didn't see any griz either.

Did see alot of antelope, big bucks. Most antelope I ever saw at 11,000 ft.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: August 25, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
I'll bet the view from that porch is incredible.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: August 25, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »
OK....who missed?

One doe is looking at who ever shot...and another doe is trying to figure out how that arrow got in the fence.      :D
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: August 25, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »
Won't be long now...the camp will number 3 stick shooters.....  :rolleyes:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: August 25, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »
Ya know, with all those lope pics.....that ought to be illegal.   :rolleyes:  

That just looks too easy      :D

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: August 25, 2006, 11:51:00 PM »
It's getting late. Where is the rest of our helping for today?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: August 26, 2006, 12:04:00 AM »
Ok Charlie, I'm at work now so you can give the nightly update!  :bigsmyl:    :wavey:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: August 26, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »
OK, What did I miss?  I've been gone for 3-4 days, mostly chasing my own Antelope.  I see the subject matter is similar to that around here.  Fires, Antelope, Bears, Elk, and new GPS's.  I feel like I'm in this story.  And enjoying every new update.  Maybe you guys can actually "get" and antelope.  I've only got raw elbows, a sore wrist, and bruised knees (even with the pads).  All signs of a happy Antelope hunter.  Keep-em-comin guys.    :thumbsup:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: August 26, 2006, 09:10:00 AM »
Alright boys.....where ya at?

Don't make me come out there     :saywhat:      :saywhat:      :saywhat:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: August 26, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
I'm not sure how Chad made it through another shift. Sorry about that bud.   :saywhat:   (I think he may have to wait until Monday to catch up)

We had a pretty good day yesterday. As I've said before, we're kinda holding back until our third member shows up here.

After waking up yesterday morning surronded by antelope, we went on to find a superb buck hanging in cover that we could have easilly (?) used to our advantage.

We settled for a nice picture instead. It's in Vance's camera and we'll try to post it in a bit. Like I said, we're saving him. Are we great guys or what?    :D  

Of course we received his gear via next day air yesterday and have decided it would be fun to hide his stuff at different locations around the ranch... kind of an easter egg hunt on a grand scale.   ;)  

Aside from the putzing around with the goats I fixed up my crock stick with a new antelope horn handle and we got out the decoy pattern that our friend "Kojac" sent... very nice pattern by the way!

All the materials were collected... paint, piece of paneling, etc. and we're gonna crank that out today. When the timing is right we're gonna put it to real good use.

As with any other bowhunting, this antelope hunting about diversity and we're reaching deep into our bag of tricks.
I guess it's as much about wanting to do it all as anything. Preparation and execution go hand in hand and add flavor to an already tasty bowhunters stew.

We'll get a few pics of the decoy making process... if we don't lose any fingers in the cut out phase.

I went out to retrieve my game camera yesterday and was disappointed to find that I'd only gotten 3 exposures.
Two were empty except for sage brush and pond water and the third was of a wide eyed (and somewhat startled) me as I missed my approach and came in from the front of the camera in the dark.

The last minutes of light were spent hunkered in the sage trying to lure a coyote to our simulated dying rabbit calls.

While the coyotes were less than receptive, we were buzzed by some kind of owl that hung around quite a while.
I kept a wary eye on him as he was intent on finding the rabbit that he was sure waited in the odd shaped sage bush.
The last thing I wanted was to have him land on my head.

Since I was calling at the time, the owl passed behind Vance without drawing attention at least twice.
I gave a low whistle to let Vance know something was up and to clue him in on this cool little event. He gave a squeek or two and had the owl within inches of his face several times.

I finally quizzed the ranch hands about what they've been seeing during their comings and goings around the ranch.

Looks like we now have a couple of prime spots for calling El Zorro... No! Not Antonio, either.   :saywhat:  

By the time we got in last night I was beat. Living at 8000 ft. can take a toll on an old fat man that normally lives at 800 ft.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: August 26, 2006, 11:26:00 AM »
Yipppeeeeee!! It's raining. Nice steady rain too and it looks like it's locked in for a while. This country needs the rain badly and there's several fires burning in the mountains. Lets hope it puts down enough water to put out the fires and dampen things enough to kill the fire danger.

Nothing like the smell of sagebrush and pines after a storm. It's a heady scent that fills the senses and is about as natural a high as any man could want.  :archer:  

Just looked out at the thermometer and it's holding steady at 38 degrees... not that far from rain becoming snow.

Snow camo for antelope? Yep... been there, done that. Got the frost bite to prove it.  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: August 26, 2006, 12:00:00 PM »
Yeah!! Rain.  Although it cut my blind time short this morning.  I did however see 13 bucks and 1 coyoted by 9 am this morning, then left just in time not to get soaked, I probably won't be heading to the mountains this weekend either.  Hope to see you next weekend.

Nathan

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: August 26, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
And it snowed in the high country!!!  This should get the elk stirring.  Time to get serious about elk!!!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »
Just saw that myself Nate. Pretty cool! If that doesn't get the bulls tuned up, nothing will.   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: August 26, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »
Iron Bull....check your email!!!

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: August 26, 2006, 11:59:00 PM »
Charlie, I made it through my shift without my nightly update, but i wasn't happy about it!  :banghead:   Good luck guys and try not to make it too easy for the 3rd member of this hunt. Don't wanna see him getting spoiled now do we?
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: August 27, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »
Well Chad, we just got in from a fine western gala complete with "Western" band, cowboy humorist and lots of great food.
Rubbed shoulders with the owners of Southwest Airlines, and Yahoo... really out of my league there!

Today was shop day with two antelope decoys fabricated while we watched the rain come down and when it finally cleared enough to see the mountains, they wore a white frosting.

We'll catch everything up in the morning... I'm planning an attack on the local fox population at first light.

The antelope were acting kinda funny today. Took them a long time to make their way into the hay meadows and get on with their normal routines.

We're gonna spoil the hell out of that third member. I figure if he has a good enough time it will make him miserable at work for quite a while.   :D  

There was an absolute dynamite sunset tonight and moonset as well. The sun bathed the mountains in golden light while great billowing clouds crowned the peaks.
A short while later the moon, a narrow sliver of a cresent showing neon yellow, slid slowly behind the western mountains. Not quite a hunter's moon and guarenteed black as the inside of a coal miners lunch box tonight.

Good thing I've got the steps to my digs memorized or I'd surely walk into or over something hurtful.
Not likely that there would be a grizz around here, but moose are always a possibility... I try not to think about it.  "[nope]"  

We'll post some pics in the morning and then probably take a break until Monday some time.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: August 27, 2006, 12:35:00 AM »
Ohh.....

Im going on my trip this tuesday I cant wait for that..

Meanwhile I will come along on your trip Mr. Lamb. I really appreciate you taking us on yours hunts and adventures.
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: August 27, 2006, 12:54:00 AM »
Thanks for the update Mr. Lamb! I'll make it through another night now..
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline suNaj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2006, 01:05:00 AM »
Nice  ghille,  however  I am  wondering  how  bowmen use  them  without  getting  your  string  caught  uo  on them, I  use  them  at  times in  other things  but  so  far I  am  too  concermed  about  snagging that  I  dont  use  them  in   bowhunting  yet          sunaj
"It is said that men may not be the dreams of the Gods, but rather that the Gods are the dreams of men." - Carl Sagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©