INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.  (Read 53134 times)

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.
« Reply #540 on: September 12, 2006, 12:03:00 AM »
More, More, We need more!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #541 on: September 12, 2006, 07:22:00 AM »
He's probably busy drag'n that elk down the mountain.  :)

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #542 on: September 12, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »
Man oh man....I've been busy all weekend and just got to read this. Thanks Charlie!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #543 on: September 12, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »
It's going kind of slow right now. You know? Huntin!

Yesterday I had still hunted off into some "low" country that had held elk in my youth.
My thought was that possibly hunting pressure had not been as great.

I found long ago that often hunters follow conventional wisdom... "Get beyond where the other hunters are willing to go", the outdoor writer types are want to say.

Anymore, it seems that everyone is reading that stuff and taking the advice. "Back beyond" can be pretty crowded at times with energetic hunters trying to escape the crowds.

In the case of elk, "they just have to be up high". Not always so!

This place I hunted is one of those "drive right past it on the way to the good huntin spots"... it has always shown good sign for me.

Lots of aspen there with a pinch of pine thrown in for aroma. What I found was a surprise to me.
Sunk in a little bench on the mountain side was a natural water hole... and it still had water.

As I spotted the glistening little jewel through the quakies, I stopped where I was. I'd been seeing elk sign along the trail I was following. There was no need to mess up the area with a lot of tramping around.

Nestled into a little circle of lodgepoles I surveyed my new domain. Within half an hour, a slight movement up the mountain caught my wandering eye. I focused my Leica's on the spot.

A small racked fork horn muley was busy destroying a bush. He must have been feeling pretty froggy, because he spent a good fifteen minutes at it.

I followed his progress up the mountain. He'd obviously been at the pond earlier and seemed happy to move 30 or 40 yards up the hill. At each stop destroying whatever sapling struck his fancy.

At one point I thought I heard the mew of a cow elk in the distance, but I  couldn't be sure. I figured they had to be using this water source.

As the morning wore on, nothing showed, so I moved down to check out the perimeter of the water.
Elk, deer and moose tracks pocked the damp earth.

At the far end of the pond and opposite from where I'd approached was the extension of the trail I'd followed.

Another heavilly used run came up the hill from more open cover and another snaked it's way up the mountain.

On the trail which led in the direction I'd heard the suspected elk calls were the tracks of elk and the shiny, fresh, green droppings of that critter. hmmmm!

I went back in there yesterday afternoon and sat until dark. Quick work with pruning shears had a hasty blind built on the down wind side of the waterhole in no time.

Along about an hour before dark I thought I heard the distant crunching of gravel under truck tires. I expected to hear the growing noise of a vehicle moving down the distant road.

But the character of the noise changed and I soon realized I was hearing something big moving clumsily through the timber... note to young guys: TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR HEARING OR PAY THE PRICE LATER.

A careful glance over my left shoulder and I spotted the cause of the noise. A young bull moose was clutzing up the mountain.

His path brought him just to the edge of my scent stream and the jig was up for me. Those big black critters may look dumb, but they are nobodies fool.

He stood just out of camera range for a long time and finally drifted away.

Nothing else showed and with the cold air spilling down the mountain I pulled on a jacket and headed for the truck in the dark.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #544 on: September 12, 2006, 04:41:00 PM »
AWESOME!!
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #545 on: September 12, 2006, 08:46:00 PM »
"I sure wish I could find that fountain of youth void of daily stress myself."~CK  :readit:  

Thanks, Charlie. Between the story of your sawmill crony and the trip up the mountain, I left my aches and my postal stresses and this condo full of highway noise far, far behind. The wild things in my heart breathed clean, sharp air and smiled expectantly. They grew hopeful. Ya did an old lady a great kindness by writing all this down.

Now, go gather more wood for this campfire!
Killdeer   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #546 on: September 12, 2006, 10:52:00 PM »
Thanks Lamb.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #547 on: September 13, 2006, 08:47:00 AM »
I echo Chris,  thanks for taking us along.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #548 on: September 13, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »
Hmmm! The Kinslow boys posting back to back. Methinks there is a hunt in the offing. Don't kill them all guys... save one for the old man.

Took a day off to take care of some organization of gear and other prep for the trip to Oregon.

We're expecting Joe "Whip" Lash to show up early this afternoon and I may take him by the collar and head for the hills for one last go at the elk pond... of course, at this point if I do put one down then I could run into schedule conflicts trying to take care of a whole lot of meat. Guess there are worse problems to have.  ;)  

Sat on the pond last night with the usual high expectations. The place just has to produce!!

It was a good night to be in the high country... I have a hard time thinking of when it would be a bad time.  :D  

The wind was bad when I first settled in, but I knew it would change about the time I could expect game to start moving.... and it did.

With a good breeze coming down the mountain just after the sun dropped out of sight a small mule deer buck caught me by surprise. He'd come to the water slowly and VERY cautiously.

It made me think of how things have changed out here for the prey species... and you have to figure yourself into that equation when Grizzly bears are one of the factors.

The elk seem very quiet for the time of year it's getting to be and I wondered if maybe they have become more silent in their pursuits when bugling becomes a dinner bell for predators who are more than up to the task of bringing them down. Something to think about.

About half an hour before dark a huge, black form trotted down to the pond through the aspens and pines.

It's always a surprise to be watching diligently and have something as big as a horse suddenly hove into veiw.

A different moose than the other night made his way confidently to the water, walked right out into it and noisilly snapped off the tip of a dead tree which lay midway across the water.

Wind was no consideration and I was quite well hidden.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #549 on: September 13, 2006, 02:51:00 PM »
I've always loved moose... though they haven't always reciprocated.  :scared:  That story is reserved for more intimate times and not for public consumption.

A paddle horn bull is big enough to cause all the trouble he wants and dumb enough to do it.
There was no fear of agitating him as my position was quite defenseable and he was clueless.

I was surprised that I could see so little of him as he fed at watered at the pond. The ground broke over and the pond depression was deeper than I'd anticipated. Note to self: if elk show up you're gonna have to creep forward slightly to have a shot.

No picture ops presented themselves so I just sat and watched until he made his exit for parts known only in the minds of moose.

As the last hint of light left the mountain I gathered my gear. Shouldering my pack I noticed the young bull standing off in the timber, a black spot in the gathering gloom.

Where the trail cut down hill toward my truck I spooked something very big at very close range.
There was just a glimpse of it's body before it disappeared behind cover and though it could have been an elk, it could also have been a big muley... the light was that bad.

These little encounters always make me smile and over the years I've come to enjoy them, even look forward to them and have gotten quite used to them... I'd clean my drawers when I got back home.  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #550 on: September 13, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
Great stuff Charlie. I just split up with Joe after playing hide and seek with some antelope in MT with him. Lots of fun, lots of miles and lots of smiles. It would probably be good planning to shoot a bull at the pond while he's there to help pack it out. He needs the practice for his trip to the high country next week!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #551 on: September 13, 2006, 10:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the read Charlie......as always.   :archer:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #552 on: September 14, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »
After reading Charlies adventures for a couple years, he's gonna be right here so's I can hear them first hand. How cool is that?  :bigsmyl:  

Drive safe sir, see ya on Friday   :thumbsup:

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #553 on: September 14, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »
Thats cool Robin. The neat thing abot sitting fireside with Charlie is getting the "growing up" stories and how his Uncle Truman, Bill, Frank, and Grandad would sit around the ol' pot-belly stove in the Winter and take turns at the podium of story time. That's where Charlie honed his story telling as a boy. Now he's passing it along. Good stuff for sure!   :thumbsup:  
See you guys on Saturday!    :campfire:   CK

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #554 on: September 14, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
Had a great time with Joe "Whip" Lash yesterday. Vance and I took him up on the mountain to look over some good country.

As so often happens, a stump shoot broke out and we murdered more than our share.

Joe is always great company and a fine shot with his recurve. He made us work for every shot.

He'll be heading off for Colorado in a bit for his high country elk hunt and I'll be headed out the door for Oregon.

Going to be out of touch for the next week, but sure I'll have a bunch to report when I get back.

Everything is working out just right for a fine time. The moon phase is gonna be good... gotta check my flashlights cause it's gonna be dark up there for sure.
The weatherman is even cooperating with a cold front coming in from the northwest. That should tune up the bulls.

Just hope CK doesn't scare them off with all the teeth chattering.      :D  

See you all in a week.   :wavey:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #555 on: September 14, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »
Whatta ya mean a cold front is moving in?   :confused:  

:scared:    Dang, I better go pack even more clothes now! I can't even lift my pack as it is.    :help:   ck

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #556 on: September 14, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »
I don't know CK it sounds like pay back to me for all the Texas sweat hehehehe

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #557 on: September 14, 2006, 12:41:00 PM »
Charlie and CK, hope you fellows have a great time with Roughcountry in the mountains. Good Hunting!

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »
Cold front moved through last night as predicted.
Light rain this AM in Hood River. Should kick things off for you Charlie. Good hunting

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #559 on: September 14, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
Oh great! Now Ted is twisting the knife in my side too!  :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©