INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.  (Read 52996 times)

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.
« Reply #600 on: September 25, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »
We look forward to the updates Charlie. Keep em' coming and good luck!
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #601 on: September 25, 2006, 12:48:00 PM »
CK and Charlie , why dont you guys come up in December and do a little late season hunting ? Great time to chase a few deer,Since you guys have learned to enjoy a little snow.
Going to be in the 80s all week in Oregon now that you guys went home.
Hope you had a grand time in the Pacific North West.

Offline BryanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #602 on: September 25, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »
I hope you guys got the same sun breaks on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday that we got.  Our hunting camp was 17 miles as the crow fliew from the gentlemen above, but only at 4900ft.  The spirits were a little low when I arived at camp on tuesday the 19th.  It had rained or snowed for 8 straight days.  The elk were silent and the hunting simply sucked.  But it was all worth it on Friday and Saturday.  The elk were out in force, lots of bugeling and we saw about 25 bulls and 100's of cows.  The sun was shining, spirits were high, and I managed to sneak within 20 yards of a nice 5 point bull.  But thats another story....

Bryan

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #603 on: September 25, 2006, 12:58:00 PM »
Nice pic CK...sure does make trackin easier don't it?  Also, you probably didn't need to pack that red and white cooler.  Every cloud has a silver lining.  :bigsmyl:

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #604 on: September 25, 2006, 01:03:00 PM »
When you have to pack your cooler, to keep your stuff FROM Freezing. You know you hit the wrong week in camp!  :knothead:    "[tunglaff]"  
Glad to here everyone made it home safe.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #605 on: September 25, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »
Well, I can tell you we needed to be flexible on this trip.

What we'd planned and the reality of it all didn't quite line up.

It all started good enough. Meeting Robin and his lovely wife Cindy was certainly a high point.

After picking up CK at the airport and stuffing ourselves with Cindy's home cooking (lasagna...yum!) we loaded up and headed toward the mountains.

The ride up to our destination was thrilling to say the least. There was little room for mistake along the road as the mountainside crowded us on one side and the downhill side promised to send us hurtling for thousands of feet if Robin didn't stay away from the shoulder... I focused my gaze on the mountainside and tried to ignore the dizzying depths of the canyone just out my window.

Both CK and I constantly reminded Robin to keep his wandering eyes on the road... like that worked.  :eek:  

We just couldn't resist the opportunity to stop (at the wide spots) and glass for game as we neared our camp spot.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #606 on: September 25, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »
Ten inches of wet snow lay like a cold, cold blanket on the mountain, but we'd make the best of what we were given... ain't that what hunters do?

Looking over distant cliffs below us that first day I spotted a small white speck through my binoculars. Suspicious of it's identity, Robin soon had set up the spotting scope and revealed the identity of our "spot".

A large mountain goat fed up a steep chute, quite content, alone and safe from intruders.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #607 on: September 25, 2006, 02:43:00 PM »
JOURNAL ENTRY-Day 1) Stayed at Kevin Smiths last night in Austin. Made it this morning from Austin to Salt Lake and then on to Pasco, Washington. Charlie and Robin picked me up and we drove to Robins place in Oregon for Lasagna and last minute supplies. We drove several hours into the snow capped mountains. Stopped off to get a burger at the Tatoo girl burger place then we headed on into deeper snow, higher elevations, and darkness.

Temps continue to plummet into the low 20's by the time we set up base camp in the darkness. Charlie and I shoveled lots of snow to get set-up and the cold really started to bite. The bedrolls were really nice but stopped producing comfort as the temps reached the mid-teens. Sunrise will be a great relief. (cont)

Offline ptaylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #608 on: September 25, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »
We got crushed too. I'm still trying to thaw out. Saw lots of goats but no sheep unless you count the one being packed out. Maybe next year.

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #609 on: September 25, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
A Texan standing in the snow in September   "[laffsmyl]"  

A little northern justice for all things prickly and hot   "[tunglaff]"  

Looks like you got to see some incredible country buddy. A successful trip in and of itself. Keep it coming please.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #610 on: September 25, 2006, 08:30:00 PM »
That first night was a doozy for sure. By sunset we had the tent up and a fire outside blazing against the darkness and offering respite from the cold.

There had been no time for wood cutting of the magnitude we'd need to fuel the sheepherder stove in the tent so we didn't even bother to set it up.

Well insulated against the chill of nighttime temps which promised to dip into the twenties, we each sank deep into our sleeping bags with hopes of a good nights sleep and sunshine in the morning.  

We
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #611 on: September 25, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
Now, I gotta tell ya that Curtis was bundled up like the Michelin man when he slid into his bag and I wondered how he'd even roll over if he wanted to.

As for Robin, he was totally at home and a veteran of many winter nights snug in his canvas home.

Me? Well, the nylon of my down bag was frigid and raised goose bumps as my feet first touched it, but was soon warm and cozy. I pulled on a stocking cap and neck gaiter as insurance against any drafts and was soon sound asleep.

The night passed uneventfully except for three unexpected calls of nature which were answered shivering and grudingly each time... I vowed to lay off liquids before bedtime from then on.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #612 on: September 25, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »
Morning broke bright and even colder than it had been at sunset, but we soon had a pot of coffee brewed and a warm fire going outside.

Today we'd set up the stove and cut wood. The tent would be cozy to tuck into tonight.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #613 on: September 25, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »
We left camp to scout for wood and look for elk sign and were barely minutes out of camp when a small group of mule deer wandered out ahead of us.

In that group was a small fork horn buck and after a quick palaver, it was decided that I'd attempt to fill my tag and provide us with some fresh meat for camp... "Dang! Just like the old timers would have done it", I thought, thinking back to stories of one of my boyhood heroes, Chet Stevenson.

The juvenile buck let me get within 15 yards and paused in front of a huge old pine to take one last look.

Care to join me on the search for blood sign?

Never get into a two blade vs. multiblade with me... I know what I like!  
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #614 on: September 25, 2006, 09:07:00 PM »
Here, Curtis and I work out the tricky blood trail.  
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #615 on: September 25, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
WhoooWheee I bet that warmed you up.That is an awesome blood trail.
Thanks for sharing.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #616 on: September 25, 2006, 09:40:00 PM »
With that blood trail, looks like a real good shot Charlie.  Glad you guys are back to story telling.  Hope CK has warmed up by now.

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #617 on: September 25, 2006, 10:29:00 PM »
Looks like lung blood guys...blowin out the side.  You should find your game.  See CK, snow is goood!  Wool stocking caps are not the way to go when sleeping cold.  HOODED SWEAT SHIRT  Wool will make your head itch and still won't stop the drafts that Charlie mentioned.  Hee hee, been there and done that.  What the hell did you shoot...maybe I missed it?

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #618 on: September 25, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
Forgot....CK, how come yur nose is so red?

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #619 on: September 25, 2006, 10:37:00 PM »
Ah, re-read the post...camp meat, that's always good.  Like I said Charlie, have something warm and quick to slip  your tootsies into when ya gotta pee.  You'll do it without being grudging.  Then, you'll sleep well thereafter.  Dang, Don't y'all know how to get by in cool weather?   :bigsmyl:  I've been known to camp in winter just for the fun of it.....course I was a bit y ounger then.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©