INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.  (Read 52946 times)

Offline Fritz Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.
« Reply #620 on: September 25, 2006, 10:38:00 PM »
Guys, that blood trail is why we LIKE snow around here.  Makes for some really quiet stalking, and blood trailing is a snap.

-Fritz
What demon possessed me,
that I behaved so well.
          -H.D. Thoreau

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points,
but it is by no means the most interesting.
-Dr. Who

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #621 on: September 25, 2006, 10:47:00 PM »
Alright!  :thumbsup:  A few more bounds and that boy's tank is going to be empty!  This should be short and sweet.....
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #622 on: September 26, 2006, 12:13:00 AM »
Looks like a great hit Charlie, though we expected nothing less. More pics please   :D  

Curtis, that is a fine looking camo beanie. Who'd of thought that a dude from Texas would have got to try his out before me...  :saywhat:  

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #623 on: September 26, 2006, 12:24:00 AM »
Now that is a blood trail!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #624 on: September 26, 2006, 08:03:00 AM »
This has been a fun story and great pictures. Thanks for sharing guys.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #625 on: September 26, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »
Good morning Charlie.....  :scared:  

I'll be back with a journal entry shortly. CK

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #626 on: September 26, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »
SAWEEET!! Missed this yesterday with the boys football practice. Made my day Charlie, great pic with that big ol arra layin in the spray.

By the way, got them bleeders glued in to the 200gr treesharks with the SG gel like ya showed me. I showed that "meat cleaver" to some compound fellers the other day and they ran screamin into the distance   :bigsmyl:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #627 on: September 26, 2006, 10:50:00 AM »
Excellent story guys!  Keep it coming....
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #628 on: September 26, 2006, 10:55:00 AM »
Gee, when I have a blood trail that looks like that I don't usually wait this long to start trailing........  :smileystooges:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #629 on: September 26, 2006, 11:04:00 AM »
"Never get into a two blade vs. multiblade with me... I know what I like!"

:bigsmyl:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #630 on: September 26, 2006, 11:08:00 AM »
JOURNAL ENTRY-day2)
Coffee and a sit around the morning fire was sure nice this morning.The plan is to head out of camp on a trail and do some scouting. We'd left camp no more than a mile when we cross deer in a bend. One deer is a forky buck and Robin and I prod Charlie to try and use his tag for camp meat. The buck took a couple of bounds into cover while Charlie fumbled to draw out an arrow and put on his glove. We just knew the deer was going to drop into the canyon before the shot. Charlie slowly came to draw as I was snapping pictures. He released and hit the forky directly through the heart at 15 yards.

The buck immediately bailed off the 50% incline and down the canyon. Blood was immense!! 50 yards down the grade we find the buck, took pics, and gutted the deer.

Robin had some rope and we tied all four legs together at the knees to form a shoulder strap of sorts. Me and Robin took turns shouldering the buck and struggled our way back up to the rim above. The calf deep snow and almost verticle ascent was almost impossible. My lungs burned from the cold air and lack of oxygen.

Back at the top we tagged the buck and continued on to scout for elk. The views into Hells Canyon are second to none.

We return back to camp to finish setting up and cut some fire wood. Damn "Misery wip"!

Evening scouting session finds Charlie with three elk in his bino's. We'll find them in the morning. Deer ribs for dinner tonight. Greasy but damn good after a hard days work.

(cont.)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #631 on: September 26, 2006, 11:08:00 AM »
Awsome story guys,love the pictures to.  :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #632 on: September 26, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
Ya just have to love those 4 blade heads!

Stick one of those three elk so we can see another one in action.  :)

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #633 on: September 26, 2006, 12:32:00 PM »
Hey Charlie

Thats one way to keep warm! I perfer a good two stroke and smoke to keep me warm! It does have a way of driving those critters out of the area though! But real late in season its a dinner bell for them.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #634 on: September 26, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »
Sorry I forgot

Great shot!  :)    :)  

Brent

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #635 on: September 26, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »
Yep! Like it's happened hundreds of times before, I put tension on the string to shoot and all the cares of the world melted away under the weight of the bow. (65# @ 30")

Whatever I was thinking prior to feeling the bow on the tips of my fingers flew out my  ear leaving me alone in my concentration on the target.

It's like that for me...if I'm smart enough to let it "just happen". I like to think I've gotten pretty good at it.
That little bucks life hung at the end of my drawing arm and I let the arrow slip away without a second thought.

I knew he was dead as soon as the arrow was away (maybe even before that). Inspection of the spot he had been standing confirmed what I already knew...There'd be venison waiting at the end of the blood trail.

The massive broadhead (Magnus I w/bleeder... that's 1 1/2"x 1 1/4") had punched through the heart and out the other side.

From the arrows position on the ground it was obvious that though the arrow had completely penetrated the deer's chest, it was probably hanging by the nock or fletch and was thrown clear as the deer bolted... otherwise it would have probably stuck in the tree behind him.

Curtis and Robin sure saved these old legs from a brutal retrieval up that cow faced hillside.

Thanks guys.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #636 on: September 26, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »
Man this thread has a life of it's own.  :eek:

Run off to work for a bit and when ya get back there's 2 pages of catch up. I would hate to be just beginning this.  :banghead:    :banghead:  

Feeding us from BOTH ENDS Texas and Wyoming

Keep it comming I'll suffer through all the AGONY.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #637 on: September 26, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »
JOURNAL ENTRY-day 3) Up early.

Robin treated us to coffee and pancakes for breakfast. He's the finest host I've ever encountered! We walked about three miles out to *****  **** and looked off ******* Ridge. It was an uneventful hike for about the first two miles and then we really got into lots of deer and elk sign. One herd of elk was obviously a bachelor group of bulls. The Rut hasn't started yet. As we near the end of the ridge we find two sets of tracks made by muck larger bulls.

These are fresh too! They drop off into the canyon and we decide to follow them to the next ridge over in the morning. As we start the return trip to camp I do some stump shooting to stay sharp. Other than that, the trip proves nothing more than a really good work-out. Returning to camp, Robin surprises us again with a couple of t-bones that he had stashed in his cashe. Tonight we truly fed like Kings in a Canvas Palace. Tonight is warmer. 35 degrees at dusk and the snow is melting off. I'll rest now. (cont)

Offline Werewolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #638 on: September 26, 2006, 02:10:00 PM »
wew

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #639 on: September 26, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
I love this thread   :)

Mick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©