INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.  (Read 52947 times)

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
Re: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.
« Reply #640 on: September 26, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »
I can't get any work done with threads like this going on...

Ya'll should do a book about these hunts...
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #641 on: September 26, 2006, 05:58:00 PM »
I hope I'm getting too far ahead of Charlie. Robin's computer is down so he can't post.

JOURNAL ENTRY-day 4) Up at dawn. Coffee with oatmeal for breakfast. We're headed back outafter the Elk we located yesterday. The plan is to jump over one ridge to the Northand try and catch up to them. All the animals are moving North for some reason. By 9:30am we find ourselves still reigned to camp. Rain mixed with snow has set in and made things really miserable.

It's story time here in the tent. It's nice and dry but it's a really long way from the Elk I'm dreaming about. As morning lags on I get more and more antsy. We eat to pass the time. Robin tells great stories about Hounds, Mountain Lions and Bears. Charlie chimes in with his own stories slightly spiced with bygone years of archery. I'm the young one in this camp, 38 about to be 39. I feel like a kid waiting to open gifts on his Birthday, sitting here waiting on the weather to clear. It snows harder as we fix cans of beef stew for a meal. Too late to head out now so we sharpen broadheads, tell stories, and wait for Mother Nature to clear her throat. (more in the AM) Good evening Gang! CK

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #642 on: September 26, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
Awesome pics and journal, thanks again.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #643 on: September 26, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
http://www.tradgang.com/upload/ck/SNOWED-IN.jpg

Yeah...you guys look really miserable.  :readit:  
This is making me itch for my own camp, my own hills and winter weather. I was feeling so out of it...thanks for the jump-start!

Killdeer  :wavey:    :campfire:    :)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #644 on: September 26, 2006, 09:27:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #645 on: September 26, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #646 on: September 26, 2006, 09:51:00 PM »
Awesome...Congrats Charlie!!!   Love the pix guys  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #647 on: September 26, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:   Deer Ribs on the fire in camp, just like Fred Bear used to do...     :thumbsup:  

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #648 on: September 26, 2006, 11:31:00 PM »
Man this thread is great. Love the pics CK.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #649 on: September 27, 2006, 10:08:00 AM »
Like Curtis said, we had some weather to deal with... for sure.

But I guess you haven't really been mountain hunting until you've have to deal with the weather.
I know that over the years I've dealt with it more than I can even begin to remember and there were a couple of times I'd just as soon forget.

We were prepared for whatever was sent our way so it was only a small inconvenience. Hadn't I told Vance weeks ago that I'd give up hunting days for a good soaking in my beloved and very parched mountains?

Ok, so the timing isn't exactly what I'd prayed for, but it was raining and snowing none the less and that could only be a good thing.

There are always bigger, more important things to consider than the wants of some lowly little bowhunter and his somewhat selfish needs. We snuggled into our warm accomodations and made the best of it.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #650 on: September 27, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »
I can think of worse things than to be stuck in a tent with good hunting buddies (who just so happen to be great story tellers who've lived a life of almost legendary proportions), eatin dry sausage, sharpenin heads, recouperating from the last foray, and preppin for the next...  :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #651 on: September 27, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »
The white canvas wall tent is a classic in the history of elk hunting.
It's the center of civilization in elk country and I can't help but recall the times, late at night, that I'd crested some steep dark ridge to see the tent glowing like a diamond in the dark.
The light from a Coleman lantern beckoning with the promise of food, warmth and companionship.

Somehow adding strength and spring to tired legs at the end of a long day of hunting.

Yep! I like those tents and their luxurious comfort in a hard land.

We'd talk of days and hunts past and generally get to know each other in ways that would escape us if the only time for bonding was that spent in pursuit of game when quiet is the watch word.

When at last no rain drops rolled down the roof of our abode and through the hole around the stovepipe, dancing and sputtering on the hot steel, we saddled up for more adventure.
Rested and rejuvenated we were ready for the trail.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Joe D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #652 on: September 27, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »
Curtis and snow....what a contradiction that is. I'm surprised he didn't end up like "Hatchet Jack"   :p  
Really enjoying the pics guys, thanks for sharing.   :)
Joe D
"Silva Vocat"

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #653 on: September 27, 2006, 11:14:00 AM »
Dang Charlie, That flash did spooky things to my eyes!

JOURNAL ENTRY-day 4 cont.) Evening draws near and the camp vote is for me to do the cooking. Charlie and I skin back and take a backstrap from his deer.

I chop some potatoe and carats that Robin had and start the stew.

Robin makes some biskits and we eat them with honey while the stew simmers in the Dutch Oven. Once the coals around the Dutch oven turn to dust, the meal is ready.

A finer stew I've never eaten! The venison is so tender it bearly holds together. Yummy!

My sleeping bag becons my return and soon I'm fast asleep. 30 degrees at nightfall.
The middle of the night finds me outside in the snow. Nature called and the blanket of snow through the fog is very spooky. Visibility, although supported by moonlight is at bare minimum. Back in the tent Robin stirrs. I stoke the fire and we begin a conversation through the dark confines of the tent. Robin reminesses of The Gulf of Tonkin. Good time stories, bad time stories, Horror stories, and stories of records he still holds today as the Roach Killing King. The record stands today at 89 roaches killed(aboard ship) in 15 minutes. The weapon of choice being the blunt end of a broom handle, gravity dropped, not forced into motion. Somewhere through the darkness I make the connection, one hunters pride shared with another. (cont.)

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #654 on: September 27, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »
Awsome!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #655 on: September 27, 2006, 12:36:00 PM »
WOW !!!!  Let me tell you this

This is as close as you can get  TO BEING THERE without actually  BEING THERE  as you'll EVER GET  :readit:  

VERY GREAT STUFF Charlie and Curtis  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #656 on: September 27, 2006, 12:38:00 PM »
Don't know about the rest of you, but now I'm hungry.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #657 on: September 27, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
JOURNAL ENTRY-day 5) Morning finds us still socked in tight by fog and melting snow. Temps are slowly climbing above freezing. Coyotes visited camp during the night, their presence here marked by their tracks in the now melting snow. Breakfast consists of oatmeal covered in hot water from boiling on the small wood stove. We sit and hope the the wind will blow and carry away this thick fog. I for one am getting Cabin Fever.
 After weighing our options we decide to journey out into this cold, miserable soup. We can see no more than 50 yards in any direction. It's almost mystical to enter the forrest this morning as we head out to scout some more. The Christmas trees are deccorated by snow, fog, and dew drops. Our destination today will be ****** Ridge, some 5 miles out in some of the roughest terrain we've encountered so far. This day will mark our first on Mountain Bicycles. All I can think before we leave out is "OUCH", THIS IS GOING TO HURT A LOT!!!!!   (cont)

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #658 on: September 27, 2006, 03:44:00 PM »
Down in the 20's you say? Heck Curtis, that ain't cold. Around here, that's when you decide to go ahead and put the grill away for the season. I'm with ya on the thin air part though.  "[dead]"
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #659 on: September 27, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »
Great story, Curt and Charlie.  Please keep it coming along with the pic's.  I always love reading post by you two.

James

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©