INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.  (Read 52352 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Way West...a bowhunting journey.
« Reply #680 on: September 28, 2006, 10:03:00 AM »
In all fairness (man! When did I start being fair?  :D  ) I was producer and director on that photo but CK was the man behind the camera.

Thanks for pushin the button dude!   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #681 on: September 28, 2006, 10:29:00 AM »
Look Gang, My desk is only so big.
With all this PRAISE it seems to be getting MUCH SMALLER for me   :scared:      :scared:

He now thinks he's PECKINPAUGH

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #682 on: September 28, 2006, 10:38:00 AM »
Peckinpaugh? No reason to make a dig like that Vance....he was a rookie compared to THE Charlie Lamb!  "[tunglaff]"
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #683 on: September 28, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »
Good thing I have a Lap top.

You'r so HELPFUL......JC   :banghead:      :banghead:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #684 on: September 28, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
The last morning of our hunt came way too fast and nursing a sore knee I opted to stay behind and let Robin and Ck venture into the hinterlands unencumbered by a crip.

I knew they would be able to cover more ground and could focus on the job at hand without worrying about how I was doing.

Besides, it would give me a chance to be out alone and I need that from time to time.

Robin is a true mountain man. Wise in the ways of animals he's made the transition to trad archery in fine style.

Not only one of the world's premier saddle makers, he also has vast experience as a trapper. Not only for fur, but in research applications for the Oregon Fish and Game. You name it he's trapped it.
Then there's his damage control work, where he has been a great aid to the state and local ranchers.
And last but not least (certainly not least) he has a consuming love of chasing cats with his hounds. Limited to bobcats because of state regs, he dreams of the day he can bring a mountain lion to bag with his recurve bow.

We spoke of it at length and like myself he aspires to take a lion without the aid of dogs and plans to call one... a worthy and very difficult task!
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #685 on: September 28, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »

So I left the guys to their own devices, not knowing what adventures they would encounter along the way, but knowing they would have some just the same.

My own walk on the wild side found me overlooking the big canyon, slipping along in sunshine and soaking in the radient energy while gazing at distant hillsides.

Then suddenly melting into cloud banks that swirled up and around or passed just below.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #686 on: September 28, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
CK the "Button Dude"! Kinda catchy! I think I like it!   :readit:  
I'll be back with a journal entry later. CK

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #687 on: September 28, 2006, 11:37:00 AM »
I trekked up the ridge hoping on hope that I'd run into a snowshoe rabbit (making themselves scarce because there gray summer coat didn't match the early snow... it makes them quite nervous!) or a grouse that wanted to play... we saw plenty of blues and a few roughs, but they were, for the most part, wild and would flush at 40 and 50 yards. I saw neither on my walk.

Treading along in the rocks I'd slip up close to the canyons edge and peer over... and down. Often my stomach would leap into my throat at the sight which parting clouds would reveal.

You couldn't have forced me close enough to look over the shear cliffs with a gun at my head, but I'd sidle up to the steep places where you wouldn't hurtle to your death through empty space... but you'd only bounce off the mountain a time or two  before coming to an abrupt stop with the same result.

Always conservative with my bugle I mostly cow called and then only occasionally. It being the the last day, however, I did stop and break out the tube for a quick squeal.

Soon I'd be back at camp and the guys would be returning from their foray.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #688 on: September 28, 2006, 01:01:00 PM »
Dang, I'm a day behind. Better get caught up.

JOURNAL ENTRY-day 6) Rained all night. Temps around 35 degrees. We are happy that Robin has such a fantastic tent with a stove. At 8:30am the rain stopps but the winds blow 35-40 at times. Robin makes a second pot of coffee and we discuss beginning woods for early Bowyers. Cabin Fever finally gets the best of me and I dress for the hunt. I'll be going alone. Just as I get all dressed, a sleet storm opens up. I've had enough of the tent so I climb on the bike and peddle like hell for heavy timber. The sleet stings and makes vision almost impossible. I thought the timber would protect me from the ice but I later found I was wrong. I repeatedly thought about returning to camp but couldn't bear the thought of returning while it was still daylight. The weather continues to deterriorate. 4 1/2 miles out I find three cow Elk and a really big Bull have crossed. I follow the tracks into the timber but decide not to pressure them until I get Charlie or Robin to call them. A snow whiteout starts to sock me in and water on the tiny pools of water are freezing over. I need to get out now or prepare for a cold and lonely night on the mountain. (cont)

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #689 on: September 28, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »
Awesome!!

Gracias

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #690 on: September 28, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »
CK... "Button Dude"? And that's better than "Underarmor Man"??? How about "ATM guy"  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #691 on: September 28, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »
I always just refer to him as "Curtis the Camoed Cactus Crawling Creature Combine"

But after seeing these recent pics, "Curtis the Cold Creeping Companion of Charlie" might be more appropriate.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #692 on: September 28, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »
Hey I'm really impressed at how CK is handling the Great Frozen North, if I'da been bettin I'da bet he'd be a popsicle by now   :D    ;)  

Great story guys, wish I'd been there!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #693 on: September 28, 2006, 03:31:00 PM »
Hi Guys, got the computer workin for awhile at least.

Curtis & Charlie, gotta say it was a hunt that I'll think about everytime I stay in that tent  :D  With fond memories I might add.

I'll catch up on everything tonight   :thumbsup:  

RS

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #694 on: September 28, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »
Yea, I've been really out of sorts without my under-armor!

You guys making jokes about me and the snow still haven't seen the last pic I'm gonna post.    :wavey:   Robin, Glad to see you. I've tried calling but keep getting the busy signal.

JOURNAL ENTRY-day 6 cont.) I find my way back to camp and somehow have remained unfrozen.

I find we have a visitor in camp. Luke is his name. He's a ***** Salesman from ****** Oregon and a Bullsh***er delux! He has no lack of something to say. Oh well, it's a small price to pay for the use of a real chainsaw that he was packing. We spent the evening in much the same fashion as the evenings before. Lots of story telling and occasional looks outside to watch the snow continue to get deeper.

(The blue A.T.M. is mine)
 Real cold tonight even with the stove. My cot tears sometime during the night. I try to remain still so I don't fall through. (ont.)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #695 on: September 28, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
JOURNAL ENTRY-day 7) This is the last morning to have a chance at an Elk. Robin stirrs early, 4:00am. We find that we've gotten another 6" of snow overnight. Oh, goodie! We eat quick and jump on our bicycles(ATM's) and leave camp. About half way down the grade I find that my brakes are frozen solid. What a joy ride! It's an experience everyone needs to experience to ride bicycles uphill in six inches of snow early in the morning. Pure Hell to every muscle in the body. On the 4 1/2 mile hike back to the place I found the Elk yesterday I finally got shots on Grouse. They're all still alive! We find fresh Elk tracks in the fallen snow right were they were yesterday.

Coyotes, deer, elk and bobcats have been here this morning. As we emerge back out of the timber we find two Mountain Lions have crossed here in the last few minutes. As Robin and I start to follow their tracks they end up headed down our footprints from earlier. Robin urges me forward but my feet get a good grip on the ground and won't go that direction. I'm cool with pigs, hell with those big cats! cont)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #696 on: September 28, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
JOURNAL ENTRY-day 7 cont)

Robin finally leaves the cats alone and we make a really big circle of the mountain top.

We decide to start heading back to camp The deep snow constantly building up on my boots has worn me to a frazzle and destroyed my attitude. Robin's an Iron Man. He's more than matched me step for step and I'm in good shape. He certainly seems less strained.

Back at the Mountain Bikes we ride the 2 1/2 miles to camp stopping only twice to rest. I'm totally exhausted! Dinner is hotdogs boiled in snow water. Better than Lobster if you ask me! I start packing my gear in preparation for leaving in the morning. Tonight I showered in the freezing cold. I used Robin's tomatoe sprayer as a shower. Brrrrr! I'll sleep well tonight. I'm fed, showered, and too exhausted to even talk. I'll revisit my old friend the Army cot hoping the tear in the side grants me immunity and carries me through another nights dreams without dropping me in the dirt. In the morning we'll pack up and head back into our daily rigors. Good night. cont)

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #697 on: September 28, 2006, 05:38:00 PM »
Curtis having a short height and hunting with my taller freinds I would always set the pace  on our trips to the mountains.No way I could keep up with someone taller the stride gets us even if you are in great shape.Kip

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #698 on: September 28, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
The pics are great Charlie & CK. Really cool to get to re-live the hunt on this thread.

A lot of folks on this ste have shared camps with Curtis & Charlie, this was my first time sharing a hunt with anyone from this site. I think I'm gonna have to work pretty hard to ever top this trip. As most of you know these guys are bout as good a company as you get in the hills.

I'm still laughing about the little things. Like Curtis tossing pebbles at Charlie first thing in the morning. And Charlie saying, right out of a sound sleep " what"  :D  

I'm gonna sit back and let these guys tell the tale and live it all over again.

Curtis And Charlie, my thanks for a great hunt,hope for a repeat soon.  :thumbsup:  
 Robin

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #699 on: September 28, 2006, 11:03:00 PM »
Robin... hopin we can bust you out of Helix for a lion hunt in Texas!!   ;)  

Great times with good buds have to be repeated!!!

Talk to ya soon.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©