INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wensel Woodsmans and elk Re-Revisted  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Woodsmans and elk Re-Revisted
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 09:20:00 AM »
Congratulations!  :thumbsup:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 09:36:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

If I don't see an elk till next year it will be to soon.

I went up Tuesday afternoon to my elk spot and after setting up camp, went into an area that I know always holds elk. Well, I got there and up in the trees were three bulls. Beside those bulls (maybe 300 yds) was a group of cows and a bull running the show. The bugles were going and I figured I needed to get between the three bulls and the cows. It never happened. I had a serious hill to climb and the bulls all moved that way before I could reach them. That is all but one. I climbed up and bang, a nice bull is looking at me! He's about 30yds up hill and staring. I had my favorite came on (which consists of a brown t-shirt and some came pants) and slowly fell to my knees. The bull was still looking so I grabbed the brush around me and started to tear it off with my hands like another elk and he bought it. I closed the gap on him to about 25 yds and finally got a shot, and well lets just say I missed!

Next morning coming into the same area, I see a nice bull in the timber just ahead of me. I close the gap to about a solid 25yds and things are looking good. There is some brush between us and this is the only thing keeping me from shooting.  He then turns and walks under me going down slope in the wide open at about 30 yds. I wanted to shoot, but decided against it. He finally saw me and was out of there.

The bulls were going off below me in a park, so I went down. By the time I got down most of the bulls had fed out of there. I heard one bull and cow called and bugled at him. He gave me a weak response, but it was already 10 AM and I was beat, and I'm sure he was too. I sat down in the park, in a good shady spot so if something decided to walk by, I'd be able to shoot. Not 10 minutes later I see a bull walking towards me. He then goes up the hill and around me, but I know where he's headed. At least I think I do....

I can hear him breaking brush and hurry to get around him (its flat where I was)and sure enough, that boy had a bit of a rough night and was headed for a very cold spring  with some water. I gave him about 3 or 4 minutes to get in there to test the air, and settle down. I then started up towards him. I could hear him splashing in the water and kept on going. When I crested a small hill, there he was, facing away kicking the water. I could only move about another 4 yds and moved to get ready for the shot. The bull then laid down in the water and was looking my way. He couldn't see me (thanks to my brown long john top) but I was afraid the wind was going to get me. It was already late in the AM and the winds were getting sloppy. I then moved to position my feet and crack! I stepped on a stick. That got his attention. I couldn't believe I got all that way without making a sound and right there 25ish yds away, I step on a stick. Then, the saving grace, a small pine squirrel jumped down not feet from me and ran off. He then rolled around a bit more and I got my feet set. Not a few seconds later, he got up and started to move off when I drew back and picked a spot. I could see his shoulder blade was back and clearly visible and when it went forward, I let the arrow go. I thought I had hit him low, and I got another arrow out. The bull moved off and his near side leg to me was either broke or immobile. He then ran right into a wall of dirt and fell. He got back up and was having a hard time standing. I knew he was heart shot or something else was hit hard. I could still see him, so I decided to step to the side a few yds and sent another at him from about 35 yds. The arrow hit just behind his shoulder area and buried to the fletch. The bull fell and I knew it would be over quick but decided to walk away and let the arrow do its work. I don’t know how far the first arrow penetrated, because he snapped it off. I’d say by looking at the broken arrow, maybe 16 inches.  However, the second arrow went to the fletching. I didn’t get back to camp that night until dark and had to go back for another very heavy load in the AM. I was all alone and hunting public land here in Colorado. I’ve never really let terrain dictate where I kill animals, but I might need to reconsider.

Here is a picture of the last load I brought out which consisted of one boned out hind quarter, the two boned out front quarters and the whole head for CWD testing our state offers. Elk hunting is very demanding and when I sit back and think about how far back I killed that bull and the huge hill I had to climb before I could even begin the 1.5 hour walk down hill to my tent, you have to wonder!

How I love Colorado!

Offline GBTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005, 09:52:00 AM »
Great Congratulations and super story!
GBTG

Offline Tom P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 10:08:00 AM »
Awesome job and a good story what more can you ask for.
Psalms 42:1 As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, Oh God.

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
Good job, Chad.  I'm just thankfull the guys I hunt with consider themselves horse lovers.  It's really nice to have a dozen nags in camp when an elk is down, and your pretty much assured of seeing a free rodeo on every pack trip.  Mabe you should consider a couple goats or llamas?
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Olebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
Chad:  Good job my man!  Thanks for sharing your story and pictures with us.

Yes sir, getting elk back to the rig, horses, or camp is just about always very hard work.  
Ya have to kill elk where they ARE, and that can be hell sometimes.

I've done alone at times and know how hard you worked to get him out.  Congratulations!
Olebow

Offline Chippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »
Outstanding! Were heading up to our unit for some scouting tonight, our bull elk hunt doesnt start until next friday. I hope that I have action such as you did. This will be my first bull elk hunt.  I'll be carrying magnus 125 stingers on my grizzly sticks and a Fedora recurve. Congrats and great story.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
Congrats Chad, you earned that one!  Nice shooting and great story.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2005, 01:13:00 PM »
Great story Chad...love those elk storys  :thumbsup:
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline Jumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »
Nice bull Chad, Congrats    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
"With God, all things are possible"

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2005, 03:08:00 PM »
Nice, wish I could hunt elk every year with my bow, congrats on a great hunt.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2005, 12:23:00 AM »
Congrats on a very nice elk. I have got to get out west and hunt them someday.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2005, 04:46:00 AM »
Chad,

You da man, so does that mean you'll now be my packer for the canyon  ;)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2005, 07:55:00 AM »
Great hunt Chad, love it when a plan comes together  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2005, 09:23:00 AM »
Way to go nice bull!!  The buck I shot last year the arrow hit about the same spot actually just infront of the bone and the blood trail was amazing.  Of course an inch one way or the other can ruin your day.
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »
Nice work Chad. You really earned that one.  On Tuesday I was stalking a herd at a cluster of Wallows.  4 bulls were paired off sparing.  I only got to about 60 yards though when the wind did me in.  I too hunt mostly alone for elk and I have definitely started taking location into consideration.  Hate to do it cause it takes some of the fun out of the actual hunt but for the first time this year I have to play father baby sitter on some days and cant risk spoiling the meat.  Congrats again man.

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2005, 03:13:00 AM »
Way to go and congrats. Excellent story.

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the good words.

It's been a great year. On a side note, I saw two Mountain Lions this year and three bears. One of the lions was at six yds. I cow called him in. Here is a crappy photo of him as he slowly crept away.

AKDan,

No, It was a hole, but not "THE" hole. After that pack out, I don't think I'll ever shoot one in the hole. At least not without 10 guys in camp. That's it, a "Trad Gang" elk hunt in the "HOLE"! I'm affraid after one kill down there, I get hit with a lawsuit covering medical bills, you know, heart attacks, strokes, etc etc but it is a fun place to hunt but just leave your bow up top.

How I love Colorado!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »
Jeez man I aint THAT out of shape  :D .

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2005, 10:26:00 PM »
Dan,

I'll go down, but we're bringing a table, bags, and the vacuum sealer cuz we ain't bringing anthing out but meat! You want the horns, you carry them!
How I love Colorado!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©