INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post  (Read 11512 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post
« on: August 04, 2005, 07:10:00 AM »
John Havard, Jason and I are headed to AK on a Moose hunt and will be leaving on Sept 4.  Today is August 4 and I can barely sleep at night.  Just putting the finishing touchs on our bows today and will be putting the bow bolts in next week as soon as they arrive.  

I know "why did I wait so long to build our bows?"
Well it's like the plumber with the leaky faucet, a bowyer without a bow is pretty common.  We spend all of our time building customer and shop bows.  I've pushed ours on the build list a couple of times.  The good news is they are glued and waiting for tiller.  They will be shooting soon.

James is bringing our arrows over tonight as we get ready to head for McAlester, OK this weekend.  But that's another story.

We have so much to do and so little time.

Can you tell I'm a bit excited.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 07:16:00 AM »
You lucky son of a gun. That's the best kind of sleepless anticipation. Hoping for the best for you guys and wish I was going with ya! Think it'll be this hot in Alaska....NOT!

I think John will be a good Moose guide. According to his avatar hejust walks up to them. He's like a Mooooose Whisperer.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 07:28:00 AM »
We all understand...a Moose hunt in AK...talk about a dream hunt. That is number one when I am dreaming.

Get one for all of us and take those pics..

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »
Getting those bulls to come in close and refuse to leave is easy - all you have to be able to do is talk dirty to them.  If one is in the mood, watch out!  I've been going every year (while living there and since moving south) since the mid-70's and I'm as excited as Mike.  Happens every year.  I hope we can close the deal on a couple or three.   John

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 07:42:00 AM »
That's awesome.  Good luck guys.

Mike , you will never be the same after this, Alaska is going to be tugging at you to return for the rest of your life.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 08:00:00 AM »
Oh great, I'm going to have AK talking to me along with Africa that keeps calling and telling me to come back.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 08:04:00 AM »
Mike... I went to Alaska hunting. It ate me up and spit me out...then never called! I feel so cheap!!!   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 08:38:00 AM »
Good Luck Bud......Man what an adventure.... I expect lots of stories and pics in Javie camp this year..... I can relate on the sleepless night thing ...... Got a little fall anticipation going on here as well...... Post some pics of those bows when ya get em built....

Mike... I went to Alaska hunting. It ate me up and spit me out...then never called! I feel so cheap!!!
Man would that make a great tag line...  :D  

Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 09:56:00 AM »
I just got back from Alaska this summer on Vacation. I heard you were going by talking to James Young who told me you guys were headed up there. Good luck!

I hope to head up in the next 3-4 years for a hunt. But we will see. What part of AK will you be hunting?
Jason Lester

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »
WOW...Alaska! If I went i think I think i would have to stay!!! and i understand about when you make stuff because all of my leatherwork is mismatch and plain as can be!   "[tunglaff]"  

I hope yall have a great time!!!
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 10:43:00 AM »
I'm so jealous.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 02:05:00 PM »
Will do Terry.  Should have em shooting by the end of next week.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Vance in AK.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »
Hey Mike, what part of the country are you guys going to be hunting, & where are you flying out of(assuming that you are flying out)?
The unit I live in(Kenai) has a bow only season that starts Aug. 10 & ends the 17th.  Yes, that's a Week from yesterday!  Way too early in the year for moose season, but I'm looking forward to it.
The rut around here starts late Sept.  General season(including bows) is Aug. 20 - Sept. 20.
The latest weather forcast says clouds & showers the first couple of days of bow season & then RAIN for the next week.  Evening temps are supposed to be in the upper 30s by late next week.
I can't wait!
Jesus said "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.
“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."
John 15:4&5

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 05:34:00 PM »
Vance,

We are flying out of Tok.  Season starts 9/8 and runs through the 18th.  We fly in the 6th and out the 19th if things go well.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 06:08:00 PM »
I am excited for you'ins too. It would be kinda nice to get the bows done before ya leave, beats the heck outa shootin them in up in the woods  :knothead:    :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Vance in AK.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 06:35:00 PM »
You should have a ball up there Mike.
I'd offer to buy you dinner at "Fast Eddie's" up there but Tok is about a 420 mile one way drive for me so I better pass.
Good luck!
Jesus said "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.
“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2005, 09:09:00 PM »
Good luck guys  :wavey:    :thumbsup:  Two words of advice.  Mosquito repellent  "[heman]"    :D  ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2005, 09:15:00 PM »
Van,

With temps dropping well below freezing at night I think thermo underwear are the two words.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2005, 09:47:00 PM »
Vance, we're spending a night at Fast Eddy's there in Tok.  Many of my dearest friends live in Kasilof and Kenai, so if we have too much moose meat we will be bringing some of it down to the Kenai to give to friends.  Perhaps we'll see you at Tustumena Lodge one evening?
John

Offline Vance in AK.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »
That would be fun John & I would look forward to it.
I'll PM you a phone # in case you make it down this way.
If you're going to spend the night in Tok, Fast Eddis is definetly "The Place" for eats(unless something has changed in the last year or two).
Good pizza, steaks, & the best salad bar in Tok!
As a helicopter mechanic I used to spend a lot of time in that area on fire or geological contracts.
If I could live wherever I wanted to in Ak., Tok would be right up there on the list.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©