INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post  (Read 11510 times)

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »
I was gonna call you today. But I figured if you finally relaxed today (yea right), and I called and stirred you up again, it might be more than Connie could take.

Have a safe, FUUUUN trip!!

Bobby
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Offline Stekewood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »
Hope you have a great hunt.  Alaska is a magical place.  I'll be heading back up next year for the first time in 14 years, and can't wait.  

Look forward to hearing  about your hunt.

Be safe, and Good Luck!!!!!
Wildlife represents the difference between rich country and mere land.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »
Best of luck to all 3 of ya. Hope you all kill a monster. Take lots of pics for us to look at!!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2005, 01:26:00 AM »
Mike,

Extra socks, lmao.  And here Steve thought my pack was to heavy  ;) .  Little does he know the changes I've made in the past two years.  Was kinda bummed I didnt get to do my sheep hunt but I was looking at 14 days with 53lbs is what I had figured, and thats WITH extra socks  :D .  

One recommendation for you guys.  I dont know if you are floating or doing a drop hunt...but have a backup emergency bag at the strip.  It doesnt have to consist of much, a tarp or couple of space blankets, food, some rope, fire startes, change of cloths and a book if you have room.  It truely can be a lifesaver!  My first hunt with steve I lost this bag to bears...the stinkers ate all my extra blue berry cheese cake..UGG!  And then had the audacity to come in and try and get one of my sheep quarters....  Wait till ya have to run a bear off bear foot in yur undies, just glade it's wilderness, couldnt imagine what they'd think down in Austin.  

Latest headlines...man charged with streaking a supposide mountian lion in his back yard.  Sentenced to 25 years for indecent exposure and wildlife harrasment  ;)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2005, 06:33:00 AM »
Dan,

When i talk about a change of socks I don't mean with your hunting partner.  LOL  I think we have the emegency pack ready to go.  When you say at the strip do you mean in Tok or at the distrubution point or on the ridge?  Heck I figured if we hauled it all the way to Alaska, Jason can carry it the last 1/2 mile to camp.

LOL

One more thing whats the bear doing in my undies?  I'm not bringing enough for him and me.  There will be a fight if he trys to take em too.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2005, 08:30:00 AM »
Dangit mike now you got me all nervous too!  Don't worry bout sleep.  There'll be plenty of time on the big airplane ride.
WWJD

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 04, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »
Well we are packing the truck and heading to the airport in a couple of minutes.  Gotta go through all the inspect and forms for the handguns and bows and such.  We'll talk with ya later.

AkDan may give ya an update when we hit Tok.  I'm sure he'll hear the thud.

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
Good luck  woodbow boys!!! as Lance would say " DROP ONE LIKE A TOILET SEAT"!!!   ;)    ;)    :bigsmyl:  
wish you guys the best, take a lot of pics, and write in a journal...we want the whole scoop as soon as ya get back1 BD

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2005, 02:14:00 PM »
I am starting to think that wingnutty is looking forward to this hunt. LOL.
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »
Dang, Calvin your quick.  :bigsmyl:  I bet they have a great time.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »
Well two more days to go before I hopefully run in to Mike, Jason, John & Steve. Was looking for birds near 40 mile air today and shot a picture of the hanger & planes from sledding hill. If I could post it I would as the fall colors are out and it was a pretty sight.

The bad three should be hitting anchortown soon and their drive out weather permitting should be beautiful. Hopefully steve & his pal got their ferry and it don't hit no rocks!

I'll report my "impressions" of these guys. Seeins as I'm near a computer I get the pre-emptive strike!
John/AK

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2005, 05:50:00 AM »
man John, that's just bad mojo, "and it dont hit no rocks'  :D

Leaving for our moose trip tomorrow for 5 days.  Taking a east coaster out basically going alone as packer.  I'll have my bow in case mr blackie shows up, or for that matter mr grizz, and of course will have a ton of grousin arras.

Btw, here's something you might try for birds.  We call them wrecking balls.  a 38 case glued to a shaft (un tapered).  Nock the extraction rim down with a file till it's close to the same diameter as the casing, then slide a large htm rubber blunt over it.  Man I dont know why, but it works 110% better then a regular rubber blunt.  Works great for stumping in the tussocks also.  Judo's are nice but dang spendy and I manage to loose to many of them, for some reason they pop off.  I'll report back when we return, then it's back off for sheep for me till the 20th..  Btw, how'd you do on your hike in?

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
Dan - Yeah I use shells. Using the shell with the blunt will make it more effective as its heavier. Got a bunch of different combos which do well when it do my part which don't seem often enough! I too gave up on judos as they don't seem to be as effective and as you said tend to either pop off or bust the tip.
Haven't done to sheep thing yet this year as I've been way too busy packing building materials to play much!
John/AK

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »
They made it! Steve & partner arrived first & while we were shooting the bull in fast eddys in walks the infamous theresome. Dragging their U haul with 650# of gear. They were a bit road wary after the drive & flights. John, Mike & Jason's flight out was scheduled for around 7:30 this morning. Steve's flight time was not yet known. Weather this am is good for flying.
John/AK

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 06, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »
It's been a half day...anything dead yet?  ;)

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 06, 2005, 11:48:00 PM »
Talked to John this afternoon, Jason got food poisoning or something, had to go to the Tok clinic where they pumped 3 bottle of saline into him. So....They are now scheduled to fly out tomorrow......O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2005, 12:30:00 AM »
Man that sucks. Hope Jason is ok.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »
Oooooh yuk. I've been down that road before. Never wanna go down that road again. I'm sure he'll ferget all about it when they're huntin'
Got wood? - Tom

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »
Any word from the boys yet???..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2005, 02:41:00 PM »
Geez I got that in Atlanta last year..poor Jason. There isn't a much worse feeling.I think even being dead would have felt better.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©