INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post  (Read 11557 times)

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2005, 12:28:00 AM »
Good luck guys....I wish for you as much fun and success as I had on my trip up there!   We want pics and stories!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »
Hey if you guys happen to be sitting in fast eddys and see a guy across the highway flinging arrows or riding around with a bow on his 4 whlr (bird hunting the trails in back of eddys) that would be me. I live about a 100 yards from fast eddys and I can see the joint while shooting. Food is still good as ever.

Mosquitoes are out now but the nats are worst. I was up at my camp yesterday and while working my way up I watched a nice bull. Hope he is still around later this month when the early season opens (8/24-8/28).

Anyways I'll track you guys down if I'm around.
John/AK

Offline Yance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »
I am hoping for pics, video, and write a daily hunt journal (when ya get back post it all), like lewis and clark, cept its wignut and cronies!
Man, hunt of a lifetime!
Good luck guys.
Yes I am a Pirate, 300 years to late, cannons don't thunder there's nothing to plunder...

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2005, 10:57:00 AM »
John/AK
Hopefully we can make contact.  I have a bow I'd like for you to try.

Take care,

John

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2005, 11:01:00 AM »
OK Mike but I might get to tell you "I told you so" if you don't heed those two words.  :knothead:    :bigsmyl:  .....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2005, 11:06:00 AM »
Mike... just wanted to make sure and wish you a great trip. I'll be leaving for almost two months of hunting in a week.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »
Wingnut - At that time of year you can get temps ranging from a high in the 70's to close to zero at night all in the same day. It is really a neat time of the year with the color changes, ducks & geese flying south, and all that is if the snow stays away. We've already had temps in the mid 20's this summer so bring the clothes. This morning its in the low 40's but should hit 70 by the afternoon.

John - Yes I'll get a hold of you. Might even have a pop at the husky. A bow to try huh? Sounds fun. May be we can do a bit of bird/small game hunting during your layover if you guys have time. There is an old fire cut about 100 yards in back of the motel that I travel for spruce hens as well as on the south side of the airstrip. Might even find a moose.
John/AK

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »
Thought I'd add to the excitement, saw a really nice bull here in the fairbanks management area last nite.  Reckon he was mid to high 40's, 3 brow tines on one not 1/2 mile from my house.  I was just telling my wife how I hadn't seen much for moose this year in my hidy holes and wham there was a dandy  ;) !

If ya guys need help or a ride in the fairbanks end let me know.  I live within 20 minutes of Fairbanks Intl.  Not sure what this fall is goign to hold instore for me, seems like plans are changing pretty rapidly.  Had an offer to take a guy from out of state on one of the creeks I've wanted to float for quite some time.  Him and one of our family friends have never hunted moose and asked me to "come along".  I hope that isnt hinting at....be the packer haha.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2005, 08:28:00 PM »
I've woke up in the morning with ice covering the tent and that afternoon been eaten alive by mosquitoes, nats and noseeums.    :saywhat:    :D  ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Craig Warren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
Mike,

I got the Bow Bolts today, made up some micarta with the 1" holes, and will send them out tomorrow.

Good luck in AK. You are in for a real treat.

I shot a Maine Moose awhile back.  980 lb field dressed with a 57 " spread.  The biggest animal I had shot prior was a white tail.  What a shock when I first stood next to the moose.  I hope you've got a strong back, but that't what kids are for, right?

Craig

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2005, 12:46:00 PM »
Well from now til MOOOOOOOOOOSE, we will be concentrating on getting our gear in order.  Today I'm applying the bamboo backs on both of our bows.  Bow bolts should be here in a couple of days so tomorrow I will cut and drill both bows so we can glue em up on Wednesday.

We will be shooting them this weekend.

LOL

James brought our arrows on Thursday when we headed out for McAlester OK.  The pics don't do them justice.  They are way cool.  You got to try the spliced feathers.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »
John & Wingnut - Just adding a piece of information that I'm sure you don't want to know about but the last couple of days this place that you are flying out of has been shaking more then usual. Yesterday alone we had 6 quakes in a 25 mile raduis with a couple at the 3 level and last night one at the 4.6 magnitude. Hope it is not a prelude to another 7.9 that we had a couple of years ago. That one rearranged the landscape a bunch.
John/AK

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »
Oh good, that's all we need.  Grizzley Bears, wolves and mother nature giving us a foot massage.

Oh well, the bows are done and shot in, arrows with BH mounted and most of our stuff kicked in a pile.

5 days too go.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2005, 12:23:00 PM »
Good Luck, you guys! Have a great hunt!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »
Wing,

Looks like I might be seeing you for the first time in 6 years then (I think I met you at MOJAM in about 2000)!  My buddy Benny Pinney and I fly out of Tok on the sixth as well!  I assume with 40-Mile?  We will be in 20D so our season is Sept 1-15.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »
Steve,

That's great, it will be good to see you again.
Yep we are going with 40 mile also.  I guess we will be waiting together for our flights.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »
Mike, Jason...you boys have a great time up there! Good luck!!!

Calvin and Hailey

:wavey:    :wavey:
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
stick some good'ns Mike, Jason.  

BTW your pic looks good up on the banner.  Get another one done with your moose.

Offline HardcoreHarry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2005, 02:41:00 PM »
Heck! I would go along just to do the camp cooking and washing up.

=grin=

I am serious too!

Hardcore Harry
"Mother Nature is a Bitch, But I Still Love Her."

Ted Nugent

Offline Vance in AK.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
You guys have a great time up here!
Good luck.
Jesus said "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.
“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."
John 15:4&5

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©