INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post  (Read 11558 times)

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »
Good luck Mike and Jason!!  Stick a big one!!

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
Mike & Jason...hope you guys have a great hunt.  It will be an adventure I'm sure.  

I'm assuming you're taking the "small" kitchen.  Will there be any arguments over who is doing the cooking or will it be self serve?    ;)  

Be carefull how far away from camp you shoot one them critters.  Their a little bit larger than an elk!

We're already waiting for pictures and the story.  :D  

Bobby
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2005, 07:19:00 PM »
Bobby,

Yep we are taking the real small kitchen.  Two one burner stoves a pot or two and that's about it.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2005, 07:24:00 PM »
When I have looked at the weight limitations for these kinds of hunts in the past...I have always wondered how anyone could take enough food...freeze dried or not!  But then I'm a underfed kind of guy.    :bigsmyl:
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2005, 07:51:00 PM »
Good luck Mike and Jason!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline EASTERNARCHER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2005, 11:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sparta-T:
As if I needed the added stimulation of fellow TradGangers going moose hunting as well.  We leave for Newfoundland on September 2nd
TL
I hope your Newfoundland hunt goes well! I would love to hear about it when you get back! I myself will be mose hunting in NEw BRunswick at the end of September...you'll love the 'ROCK' They got some dandy moose over there! and LOTS of 'em.  :D
ARCHER

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2005, 07:36:00 AM »
Well Connie has had about all she can take.  We've made four trips to Cabela's in the last 4 days for list items.  Jason can't sleep without dreaming of MOOOOOSE. And I can't sleep at all.  I'm obsessing about lists and missing stuff.  Well you get the picture.  I'll be packing and weighing stuff today.

Carp!!  only 4 days left to get ready.

BTW do you need a passport to get into Alaska?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2005, 07:50:00 AM »
It's a long flight to Alaska big boy. Have no idea how you are going to be able to sit in one of those little airplane seats for that long. Best of luck with that!

Gosh I'm so jealous. Wish I could go with y'all. It's gonna be a thrill no doubt. Bet ya got that queasy feeling in your stomach eh? And this time it's not from the HDFH or the Gumbalaya!
Best of luck, stay safe, have fun, shoot straight (well I know "YOU'LL" shoot straight)and remember, leave nothing but footprints and bones (and a big ol pile o guts)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2005, 07:56:00 AM »
Mickey,

You got that right.  The only mark I leave on the land is the dent where I fall.  LOL

No worry about the pile either, the grizz, wolf, wolverine and such will clean that up real quick.

I wish you were going too.  We need to do this someday as long as you don't organize my space in the tent for me.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2005, 08:00:00 AM »
and you're gonna video the whole thing for us, right?
Got wood? - Tom

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2005, 06:53:00 PM »
Mike and Mickey in the same tent..for a week... I wonder if the Outdoor Channel is ready for the Tradgang version of the odd couple?......   :D   Mike,Jason,and John you all have a great hunt ..... Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2005, 06:53:00 AM »
Well there's three days to go and I'm up at 0500 with my stomach doing backflips.  Sleep is at best fitfull now and the trip is looming large like a thunderstorm on the horizon.  Today we pack all of our stuff. . .again and insure we make weight for our airline.  We know we will be paying one oversize fee so we want to keep it at that.

Putting the final touches on three customer bows too.  Dang them customers. . .LOL

Gotta shoot somemore this afternoon and maybe get some nutter practice in shooting golfballs.

need coffee!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2005, 07:06:00 AM »
So how many runs have you made to Cabelas for last minute stuff? ha ha ha

need hot tea!

LOL
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2005, 07:43:00 AM »
five to Cabelas, 2 to sports Authourity, 3 to Walmart and one to Lowes.  I think I got it now.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2005, 10:11:00 AM »
Just some stuff to take your mind off the upcoming hunt - Current weather is light rain & temps in the mid to upper 30's. If it clears off temps should drop. And its still shaking some. Oh and I saw a nice bull yesterday about a 1/4 mile from this computer. Have you been practising counting brow tines? & antler width? while trying to sleep? Do you know if your hunting unit 12 or 20E?
John/AK

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2005, 10:22:00 AM »
Hunting in 20E, heck I don't have anything to count on.  So I figure that if I see 4 then I shoot or if John gives me the high sign.  Hope to see a few live moose on the drive from Ancorage to Tok.

BTW John how are the bugs this time of year?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
One day bugs are bad and other days none at all. Depends on temp & wind and if your in the trees or on the tundra. Didn't need any spray either sat or sun up at my cabin under construction site. but needed it thrusday when I was there. The white socks have been bad. Last week they were the worst that I can remember. Mosquitoes were bad earlier this summer but seemed to have lessened and spray elimanates them usually. The black nates are around and will greet you especially if your low on the ground. I always carry spray and keep my bandito headnet with me mainly for bugs (black nats)into october when I start my calling season. It stays with me until the temps stay below 25. Yeah expect them but not to be too bad.
John/AK

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2005, 11:04:00 AM »
John,

thanks!!  We'll pick up some spray and headnets in Anchorage.

mike

Also do you have cellphone coverage in Tok?
Mike Westvang

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2005, 11:10:00 AM »
Mike, are you taking your fly rod?  Or any fishing gear?  Lots of good fishing in moose country.  Something to pass the time while you're waiting for the beans to boil.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »
Tracy,

We are huntign from a ridge top that will be a few miles up from the river.  They tell me the bulls are moving up for the rut.  I'll let ya know when we get back.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©