INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post  (Read 11559 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 30 minutes to MOOOOOOOOOSE! last post
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
Good deal.  I should be at the Weatherford Super Wally world about 10 tonight.  Need anything from out my way?  I can swing by James's house if need-be.

Speaking of such, where's he been lately?

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »
wingnut...sounds a little cool up there for a Texas boy. I am 9 days away from leaving for Ontario, also placed a good number of cabela orders. No problems sleeping here, but then I am not going to Alaska, if I were I would not be sleeping either.  :D    :D

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
Wingnut - Yes we have cell coverage in Tok. Get 5 miles or so out and it gets real spotty if any at all. In 20E it is real hit or miss depends on how many hills are in the way so don't count on it there.

There is a sportsmans warehouse now in anchorage for those last minute "forgets"
John/AK

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2005, 01:38:00 PM »
Are you guys getting together for dinner at FE's or a grouse hunt on Monday?  Benny and I get off the ferry in Haines around 11am so with a good tail wind maybe we will make Tok by 6.  We sure would like to hook up with you guys before we fly out on the 6th.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2005, 01:46:00 PM »
John, I sent you a PM with a phone number.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2005, 01:50:00 PM »
Steve,

We are staying at FE so we will be there for dinner.  We should arrive in Tok sometime early afternoon depending on how long it takes us to get last minute stuff in Anchorage.

Mike

817-594-5578 home
972-841-4345 cell
Mike Westvang

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »
Wing,

I wrote your numbers down and they are in my wallet.  I will e-mail you my cell #.

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »
Steve - Reponded to e-mail. Yeah getting off the ferry at 11 in the morning & getting to Tok by 6 will need a tail wind. Road in the Yukon isn't in the best of shape this summer from what I've heard. But then it has never been very good. So I'm not sure if it is just tourists complaining or if it is true. But you will as you know be traveling through some awfully beautiful country that is for sure!! I love both the Boarder to Haines jct & haines jct to Haines road. Between the scenery & the wildlife (particularly sheep (klaune lake) & bears) that drive is super!!! So take your time!!

If we don't hook up for dinner or todies in the evening maybe a chat at eddy's in the morning dependeng on when they schedule you out.

Wingnut - Here is a short travel log - You'll have some beutiful country too on the 330 mile trip between anchortown & here. Hope that the mountains are out in the Park as you drive along st elais for a while. Be sure & eyeball the valley as you should see moose in the ponds. Also there can be caribou around.When you are going over mentasta pass be sure and look down the straight stretch of road. Notice that the road has a funny blip in it. Well this is from the 7.9 shaker 3 years ago. That short blip section moved 20 feet. DOT just fixed it but didn't bother straightening it out. The road that you had travelled before the pass along the water completely disappeared dropping and twisting 7-10 down. Also just after you cross the little tok river look up into the hills on your right. There are usually sheep on the rocks there and are easily visible. Lots of grizz & wolf along there.
John/AK

Offline Vance in AK.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »
If you gave me my choice of any stretch of paved road in the state to drive, that 330 miles John just described would be it.
You guys will love it.

I'm guessing Sparta-T's moose adventure is starting right about now too.
Good luck to all the moose hunters out there!Including us locals ;-)
Jesus said "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.
“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."
John 15:4&5

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2005, 08:59:00 PM »
Just back from a sheep camping trip, lots of clouds and SNOW wooohooo.

Thought I'd get ya excited, saw a decent bull moose dead on the side of a hill on my way home with a happy rifle hunter getting to work.  Think he mumbled something, oh my aching back.

Supposed to hit the 20's tonight, hope yur bringing your cold weather gear, gonna be an early winter in these parts if things keep going this direction!

Offline wolfhawaii

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »
Have a great trip, wish I was going!  :knothead:

Offline Orso

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2005, 02:34:00 AM »
Have a great trip and good luck to the both of you.  

BTW - I love my Wind Talker....Both of them.
Mike

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2005, 05:23:00 AM »
That's awesome! I am going to Alaska for blacktail next Sept.  Good luck fellas!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2005, 05:44:00 AM »
Hope you guys have a great,succesful,safe trip!!! Sounds like an awesome adventure your about to embark on.Bring home lots of meat boys!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2005, 07:26:00 AM »
Well with two days to go, I'm sleeping less.  Got up at 3am and went back to bed at 4. Got up for good at 5:30.  Too many thoughts running around in this old head for my own good.  Jason and I are shooting at first light this morning and then packaging the last of the customer bows.  Got five shipping this morning.

Got our bags packed and unpacked yesterday.  Looks like we'll be OK for weight.  How the heck do guys do this with only 50#s?  We are taking two cargo flights in addition to the personal stuff.  That's a total of 650#s of stuff.  LOL

Wish I could take the big kitchen.  

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2005, 07:39:00 AM »
Good luck guys, you are in for one heckuva trip, it is something that every bowhunter should try to do at least once in their life.  Alaska is a place that you never forget.

Be safe and have fun.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2005, 07:45:00 AM »
Hello everyone,

Just got our computer back up.  Needed to recover? the hard drive - a real mess.  With trying to track down my parents in Ocean Springs, Mississippi and my sister and her family in Biloxi, Mississippi I haven't had much time for preparation.  Just finally got to start packing yesterday and hope to finish today.  

My cell number for those wanting to rendezvous at Fast Eddy's is 847-650-4729.

Jason needs to eat one last bowl of wheaties because I hope he's going to be packing about 2100 pounds of boned-out meat.

John

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2005, 08:38:00 AM »
John hope everything is ok with your suthern relatives. Real mess down there. You don't need that additional worry while your tracking down 2500 pound tundra mice.

Have a good trip and since you are the expereinced one at this take care of Wingnutty and yellargnome. I'm sure a griz would skip Jason cause he ain't big enough to eat, but ol wingnut might make a tempting meal.

Again, stay safe, have fun, hunt hard, shoot straight and track with due diligence.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2005, 09:53:00 AM »
Hi Mickey,
You're so right - no one needs the problems that the Gulf Coast is now experiencing.  My daughter was supposed to be starting her junior year at Tulane, as well.  Now she will be attending the Univ of Texas.  At least UT was very understanding and helpfu.  Thankfully I've just heard that my folks are okay - just waiting on power to be restored, so everyone is accounted for and is safe.  Whew!

Both Mike and Jason will be fine.  I've built a new set of collapsible fake moose antlers that I'll con one of them to hold on top of their head so we can bring the really belligerent big fellow in close.  Whoever is doing the shooting had better be on the ball, and whoever is holding the moose antlers had better have a big tree handy in case the shooter misses.  Come to think of it, I think Mike would be the most convincing moose impersonator.  Hmmmm.
John

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »
Well...I don't know ya Mr. Wingnut, other than your post here, but I sure do hope you stick a big one. Take lots of picture of him and come back here and share the experiance with us. I would wish you luck, but when you're good you don't need it. I'll just say do what you know how!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©