INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Moose Hunt 2005. . .A wingnut /yellargnome production  (Read 7892 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Moose Hunt 2005. . .A wingnut /yellargnome production
« on: September 22, 2005, 02:48:00 PM »
Well I am finally ready to start to tell the story.  I will give ya a day or two at a time and try to include the pics.

Day one Sept. 4, 2005 - Jason and I spent the entire day in airports.  Our flight out of Dallas was on time and the weather good up to Chicago.  We got there and called home and John in AK.  When we got to the connecting flight it started to unravel. The flight was delayed 1 1/2 hours for maintenance problems.  Oh good!! We are going to fly over the remote wilderness of the great white north in a "maintenance problem" plane.  Well the 1 1/2 hours came and went and we were informed we were changing planes.  So off we went back across Ohare in search of the new plane.  Well it wasn't there yet.  So we were delayed another hour.  Finally we boarded and took off.  The captain comes on and says that we took on extra fuel and were going to make up some time.  Off with go at mach .82 and make up over an hour to Anchorage.

John met us and we gathered our stuff.  It was now after midnight AK time and 3 am for us Texans.

A short nights sleep at the red roof inn and we started gathering the stuff we forgot.  Two trips to Walmart and Fred Meyers along with a food stop and we were on our way to Tok.

Man it is beautiful country, big mountains, clear streams, glaciers and spruce trees everywhere and that was just in Anchorage.

Lunch time!! be back in a little while.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Ranger58

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose Hunt 2005. . .A wingnut /yellargnome production
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 03:03:00 PM »
Mike,
Don't keep us in suspense!  Can't wait to hear about your time in the Tok area, as I used to live in Wrangell-St Elias Nat'l Park, just south of there.  Hurry up!
L8r
Gary
Stickbows, Sidelocks and Flyrods, anything to make it more of a challenge!

Bear Kodiak 50@28 “the girl”
Palmer Classic w/ 50@28 and 56@27 limbs
58 Kodiak 45@28
Kodiak 59'er 50@28
1958 Pearson Hunter dual shelf 45@28
and my original longbow I used as a kid.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »
hmm, man that was a tease and I LIVE here  ;) !

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 03:34:00 PM »
C'mon! This is my dream hunt, so let's go!!
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 04:03:00 PM »
Ok, sandwich down and here we go.

Off we head with the 14 ft Uhaul full of camping essentials on our way to Tok.  It was about 10am before we hit the road so we stopped for lunch down the road 100 miles or so.  This is where we thought till sometime later that Jason picked up food poisoning. (don't eat the chicken)

We soon came to a glacier off in the distance and stopped for our first kodak moment.

We stopped for gas and one more time for nature (glassed sheep while peeing)

and soon we arrived in Tok.  Checked into the motel and went to Fast Eddies for dinner.  That's where we ran into the other Tradgangers.  We were pretty drug out from lack of sleep and adrenaline lows so I'm afraid we weren't very socialable.

It was nice to see Steve again and here about the hunting up til this adventure.  If I remember right they had already tagged caribou, goat and sheep.

We got our gear checked out by the air taxi service and confirmed the need for a couple of extra loads or one 747.

Gotta go work on laundry and dinner.  be right back.

Mike

M
Mike Westvang

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 04:19:00 PM »
Am I the only one, or is the suspense here almost palpable...    :eek:
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 04:24:00 PM »
It took an hour and a half for a sandwich...no tellin how long a full "dinner " is gonna take!

Glad you guys are back safe and at least in one piece.  Sorry to hear about your knee.  Hope isn't injured too bad.

Bobby
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
Sounds like fun so far, it's not very often you get to glass a peeing sheep!

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 04:48:00 PM »
wake me when its over.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »
I need another cup of tea or 12 ..this is gonna take awhile ain't it?   :rolleyes:  

Glad you guys are home safe and sound.

After having suffered food poisioning in Atlanta awhile back on the way to piggy hunt I can definitly sympathize with Jason. Death would have felt better.  "[dead]"
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »
Come on! I could have grown a chicken and BBQ it by now   :D  

More Story! More Story!

:readit:
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline High Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »
I love Fast Eddy's, can't stop in Tok with stopping in there. Can't wait to hear the rest of the story, making me homesick.

Dave

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 05:37:00 PM »
Coooome on wingnutty.If'n I lose power again with Rita I won't find out what happened for days.Have a heart man,there's only so much a guy can take  :p  

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 05:45:00 PM »
OK, I figure that I'm off to a meeting that figures to last a couple of hours, I hope that I can at least get the next installment when I get home.  Pleeeeaaaassssseee?????

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 05:46:00 PM »
Dang,

This is like reading a mystery thriller.....one page at a time...and the guy is mailing it from around the world. Come on, you're killin us.....  :readit:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
Well with dinner out of the way in Tok and our gear officially wieghed in we hit the rack.  About midnight it hit Jason back and we were up most of the night hitting the porcelin friend.  Not good!!  We are supposed to fly at 0700 in the am.  It's not going to happen and we rushed Jason to the clinic as soon as it openned.  He was very dehydrated and needed two IVs to get back in the game.  By evening he was human again and we were on schedule for 0700 again.

We arrived at the plane as they were getting them warmed up.  Jason and John loaded into the cubs for a direct flight to our ridge while I jumped into a 206 for a flight to Chicken, AK.  

Half way to Chicken we got the bad news, Wind and plenty of it on the ridge.  The Cubs headed for Chicken and met us there.  We spent the day hanging out while the Cubs flew on and got more hunters into other locals.  We did hike up to the cafe and have a nice lunch and get out of the black flys for a little bit.

At 5:30 the cubs were back, but one needed a mechanic so they started ferrying us one at a time, John first, then Jason and finally me.  When I arrived I couldn't believe we were going to land on a 2-1 slope up a tabletop.  But we did and the pilot headed back for the gear loads.

Abot the time I hit camp, Jason's flu bug hit me.  Not good!!  Especially for Jason, because John had head over the hill for water and he ended up carrying all 300# of gear into camp.

The night was not friendly for me with many trips down the hill in a hurry.  By morning, I was pretty sick and sent the guys out hunting while I stayed in bed.

They did spot a legal moose (over 50") about a mile from camp and came back excited.

Tehy poured fluids into me and I took the meds we had for what was giving me the most trouble.

By evening I was ready for a short walk to the spotting area the guys had found and we got a look at four bulls.  One was huge and the other three were over 50" easy.  As darkness fell we settled down for some chow and hit the rack for a better night.  Only had two trips to the tree.

more later!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline nonose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »
I'm waiting with baited breath.This is worst than the Mervins commerical,(open,open).
Live everyday as it was your last.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 07:52:00 PM »
Sounds like the first few hours of your hunt was more exciting that our whole trip......

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »
ah common Stevo.  People dream of what you and I do on a yearly basis.  I did notice Mike said you killed a sheep.....where in sam heck was my phone call on that one  :)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »
I love em when they get drug out!!!

Just like when I was a kid watching Bat Man!!!

"Tune in tomorrow....Same Bat Time, Same Bat channel"   :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©