INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Moose Hunt 2005. . .A wingnut /yellargnome production  (Read 7893 times)

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose Hunt 2005. . .A wingnut /yellargnome production
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2005, 01:37:00 PM »
All righty then... this tale's got legs.  :cool:

Sickness, remote air travel,weather, critters and grizzz.  It's unrolling like a fine epic adventure.
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2005, 02:54:00 PM »
Come on Mike...get on with the story. (note to self...never get within 100 miles of a slimfast diet bar...or Wingnut after he has downed a few)   :D

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »
Well I thought I would check in to see if ya'll got a moose yet or just still fart'n your way up the mountain.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
Hey, I am loving this...

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2005, 05:01:00 PM »
maybe you could eat a few bars and call in them Ducks...
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2005, 07:06:00 PM »
That night we all slept very well. . .until the rain picked up in intensity and started coming though the sewthoughs in the top of the tent.  John woke up first and got me. . things were getting wet fast and so we through tarps over everybody and went back to sleep.  The storm continued thoughout the day and Jason and I reengineered the smoke stack(duct tape) and got it back in operation.  Thing dried out fast and we were back to normal by sundown.

The rain quit in the night and we were back at the rock outcrop glassing in the morning.

We spotted a single palm on the far hillside about a mile off.  While watching it, I saw it move and we were off.  On the way, we got held down in the brush by a cow for about 30 minutes and we think she took the bull with her as she wondered off.  On the way back I twisted my left knee and was in a world of hurt as we worked our way home.

We did encounter this critter that gave us a good deal of enjoyment.  He sure had trouble figuring out what we were.  LOL

mike

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »
ermine are cool little critters.  Had one come up to to me sheep hunting a number of times to within a hiking stick length of me, appx 4 feet.  First time I've ever seen one alive in the wild this fall, saw two both on the same hunt.

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »
Just started watching this saga unfold. Sorry about you guys getting the flu. Hate to tell you but it was going around Tok. I was in the recovery stages when I met you at eddys. Hope that in our 5 minunites that I didn't infect you guys. Keep the story coming. Art the end I'll have a few questions. Oh did you fly out on 2dg? I know that plane.

Steve H - If you are following. Too bad about the hunt. If you had returned early I would of sent you up to my cabin in progress site. There were some bulls hanging around. I was busy building and just waiting my time. A couple of friends, gun hunters, came up and shot two. I was sorta of hoping to get them towards the end of the season after I got some building done. Oh well he who waits...! And there are grouse around.
John/AK

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2005, 11:39:00 PM »
Wow this is taking even longer than i thought it would.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2005, 09:21:00 AM »
Well with two days to go, I was outta the game.  My knee wasn't just twisted and I had a hard time getting around.  My new duties were behind the spotting scope and providing semifore directions to Jason and John.  We had one more chance on the hill across from camp.  Jason and John went after a real nice bull as I watched.  After over an hour of hiking they moved into position about 150 yds from his hidehole.

As John started to call the bull went nuts.  He tore up the place and did mock battle with a willow tree.  Finally he turned and headed at the guys. As he closed the distance his attitude changed and he got a lot less brave.  I think he had his butt kicked a couple days ago and wasn't in the mood for it again.  John showed him the fake antlers and instead of charging in to chase off the little guy, he turned and went and hid in the brush.  The guys never saw him even though he had closed to about 75 yds.

They decided to head back and took an easier though longer route around the rim.   I headed for camp and got a fire started and some coffee on.

We spent most of the afternoon packing gear and hauling our stuff up to the strip for an early morning pick up on the 17th.  A restless night with wind and rain broke calm and cool.

This was it, if the guys were going to be able to land now was the time.  Unfortunately in an hour, the winds had come up and were blowing the wrong way.  They made four or five passes to try to get in but ended up flying off into the building clouds towards Chicken.

It is a loanly feeling when your plane flys away.  We constructed a quick leanto to hold off the wind and waited.  An hour later the sky openned up and we decided to pitch the small tent.
We spent all day in the tent as the storm whipped the rain with 30 mph winds.  We got a brief calm just before dark and took advantage to make some chow.

The morning of the 18th was perfectly calm and clear.  We called for a pick up and were told they were on the way.  We quickly broke our small camp and had just finished when the two planes crested the horizon.  They made one pass and came right in.

We loaded Jason and me into the planes and made a hasty take off.  The fog was climbing the ridge behind us and I didn't realize it but it flowed over just as Jason got off the ground.

They took us directly to Tok, where they were grounded for the next four hours.  John was in thick fog on the ridge and put the tent back up in case he had to spend the night.  Jason and I got a much needed shower and waited for the skys to clear.  Finally about 1 pm John called and said his ridge had cleared and to come get him out.  The pilots headed out again and almost turned around seeing the area until the last turn when they saw "bent pipe" ridge glowing in the sun.  They took advantage of the break and got John and all our gear out in the two planes.  They looked like the truck from the beverly hillbillys when the landed.

A quick shower for John and a stop at Fast Eddies for chow and we headed down the road to Anchorage.

No moose in the bag but a great hunt with high adventure.  Total we saw 10 different bull moose with 8 of them over 50".  The ridge was hard to hunt because the bulls didn't come to our side and were always at least a mile by gps from camp.
Seeing the griz was cool and the ptarmigan owe us a hit or two the next time we cross paths.

Jason on the left and me

John and me
Sorry it took so long to tell the story.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2005, 09:32:00 AM »
As anyone that hunts much knows it is not about what you get.It is about the adventures that unfold during your pursuit.It sounds like you guys got some nice trophies in the form of memories.Both the good and bad ones. :)  Good story! thanks
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online Jason Kendall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2005, 09:37:00 AM »
Great story and great pics! Thanks, it really makes me want to get out of Iowa!

Offline Meathook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2005, 09:38:00 AM »
Mike, Sounds like you guys had a great hunt.  Glad your all back safe and sound.
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2005, 10:13:00 AM »
Sounds like a great time, cept for the knee. How's your knee doing now?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline gifford, MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2005, 10:29:00 AM »
Great stories and pictures, thanks Mike and Jason for sharing your adventure with all of us. Dang, sorry to hear bout the knee. It'll be all healed up soon and ready for another go at the land of the midnight sun.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
Great pics Mike!  Atleast yall seen some bulls.  So far I havent a single antlered moose in months.  I do have to ask, who is who in the last pics?

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »
I added some captions to the pics

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline stikbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
It sounds like you guys had a great hunt, even though everything did not go exactly as planned.  It seems that you guys had a good time and that is all that matters.  Congratulations!!!
Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person.

Offline John/Alaska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »
Wingnut - The knee thing is a bummer! Even though you didn't connect on a moose atleast you had some opportunties, saw some wildlife and all. The weather was typical fall except a bit warm with stormy winds, for & rain but it could have been snow. Just by chance was that u haul trailer hooked to a green pickup? I noticed that it was still parked saturday night but gone by late sunday. Liked those pictures of you guys. Makes it look as if your standing on clouds.

Would you come back to Alaska to hunt moose again??
John/AK

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2005, 01:51:00 PM »
John,

Yep we had a great time.  The knee will be good after surgery. . .again.  Gotta wait til Oct 11 to see the cutter though.  I think he went hunting somewhere.

And yes we will be back for moose. . I'm going to get one if it kills me. . .and it might.  LOL

We will probably be hunting a bottom next time though or a flat.  The ridge top hunting is for younger guys with flat stomachs and iron legs.
We had fat stomachs and rubber legs.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©