INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Moose Hunt 2005. . .A wingnut /yellargnome production  (Read 7903 times)

Offline Dirteater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose Hunt 2005. . .A wingnut /yellargnome production
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »
I like the critter-less "hero pics"...I gotta whole lot of those.  Your hunt was full of adventure and fine fellowship no doubt.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
wingnut...thanks so much for sharing. What an adventure and a wonderful hunt. The pic of your son and you is the greatest. As my son often tells me thats why it is called hunting not killing. That moose will be there waiting for you next time. Man I would love to chase moose in Alaska, that has to be my all time dream hunt.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »
Wonderful story and pics.  Thanks  :wavey:    :thumbsup:  ....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2005, 08:26:00 PM »
Cool story Mike..... Thanks for taking us along...

PS..... I'm glad I wasn't there. Ya didn't have Gil along to grunt when that stovepipe fell over..   :D   Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »
Sounds like a good hunt,Mike. I can do without a kill for good company and different scenery.  :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »
Great to read about your hunt. What a positive attitude!!! Hats off to ya!! With that attitude, a successful hunt is always achievable. Sorry to read about the knee, I can understand as I'm fixing to have mine operated on. Enjoyed the pictures as well. Looks like a beautiful place to hunt, I hope I get to go there sometime.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »
Mike and Jason were great hunting companions.  I truly enjoyed the experience of moose hunting in God's country with them.  My tipi and stove really bit the dust in both the wind and the rain, but their steady companionship made a fantastic experience even better.  

As an aside, I think the moose that got pretty close to Jason would have been meat in the freezer right now if it hadn't smelled the dead wolverine in Mike's hunting clothes!

Good friends and great companions are what make memories, and I can truly say I was fortunate to spend this time with "Wingnut" and "Yellargnome".  

Also, I'm glad to say that the "fart bars" didn't have the same effect on me as they did on Mike.  What tiny amount of effect I felt was more like April in Paris than dead wolverine.  It was FOUL!!! riding drag on the herd while hiking back up the mountain.

It doesn't get any better than this.

John

Offline B n Az

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2005, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Mike...hope all goes well with the knee after you see the doc.

Bobby
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2005, 11:12:00 PM »
Sounds like you boys had a great time. Sorry to hear about the knee,Mike. I love the scenery pics from the far north. I don't get to see much country like that in ohio.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Buffler Razz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2005, 07:22:00 AM »
Mike
Great story and pictures. Thank you for sharing it with us. Good luck with your knee and thanks for the tip about the Fart Bars. I'm getting some to level the playing field in deer camp this year!
There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone. Everyone knows what they mean. What's more important is time that is known as the little dash in between.
Buffler Razz

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »
Even on a Alaska Moose hunt the fart game still rules I guess.  Ever since we were kids it never changes.  But how come my wife dont get it.  Mike thanks for the story and pics.  Really enjoyed them.  Next time man, next time.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2005, 08:55:00 AM »
Now John I know I spent a good deal of time following you up the hill also and that wolverine was in the air for sure. LOL

John was a ball to hunt with and he knows moose.  We had a great time telling stories and talking bows.  Even the challenges thrown our way made for great memories.  And the tipi and stove do need a little engineering work.  LOL

Now about the Fart Bars, they are not recommended for hunting camps that include open flames.  But we are working on a renewable energy source to eliminate the need for oil.  Anyone know how to plumb a car seat to the engine?

I have a bunch of cool scenery pics that I'll post a few at a time.

BTW John thanks for the invite and a great time!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2005, 09:08:00 AM »

Moose at the end of the rainbow

Valley of fog
Mike Westvang

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »

An interesting skyline

I feel the need for speed!!
Mike Westvang

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2005, 10:15:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing Mike, enjoyed it  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »
Sucking in air (WHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO)  Those last pictures took my breath away. Absolutely Beautiful!!! Thanks!!   ;)

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2005, 05:58:00 PM »
LOL!!! Im glad you guys survived. By the look of the pics, you were hunting a very cool place. Glad yall made it home safe. The pic of Jason in his travel hat is funny.  CK

Offline Vance in AK.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »
Glad you guys made it back safe, & had a good hunt.  As has been said, the hunt should be measured in memories & time spent with friends just as much if not more than the game taken(at least that's what I always say when I come home empty handed ;-)  ).
My mose season had the same net result as yours as far as the freezer goes, but I hunted alone so I missed out on the richest part.
Your pics remind me I'm glad I live here.
Even if the hunting is better in Montana ;-)
Glad you enjoyed our state!
Jesus said "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.
“I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing."
John 15:4&5

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2005, 07:51:00 PM »
Great story and great hunt Mike.  As you know successful hunts aren't always measured by game killed, there are memories there that you will never forget.  How many people can say that they have done what you just did?  Think about it, how you guys were left alone in that kind of country to fend for yourselves, it is an experience that will remain with you forever.  I know that I think about my time in Alaska all of the time, and hope to make it back someday.  Good job!  :thumbsup:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »
Mike get that dang knee fixed once and for all will ya? Awesome territory!

Liked the pics. Especially "Top Gun Yellargnome" ha ha! We got high speed over the weekend. Brian installed it while Dianne and I were gone. Come home and get to see pics loaded instantly...what a relevation!!!
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©