INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A Bittersweet Trophy  (Read 4749 times)

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
A Bittersweet Trophy
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:56:00 PM »
For many years my father has hunted far and away places.  He spoke to me often of doing the same myself as the trips make lifetime memories.  Over the years raising a family, lack of funds, and not enough vacation time prevented me from going.  This year I finally decided to book a trip because in my father's words "Son, life is short and you're not getting any younger - do it while you can."

And so I made arrangements for a hunt in Wyoming.  I spoke to my father on the eve of departure.  He was excited for me and wished me the best of luck, although being a rifleman he didn't quite understand how the economics and travel justified chasing critters with stick and string   ;)  .

I arrived in Casper and had an urgent voicemail to call home.  My father had suddenly passed away during my travel.  Reflecting on our past conversations I decided to continue the hunt in his honor.  I believe he would have wanted that.  Final arrangements were planned that allowed me to finish the hunt.

His passing weighed heavily on me but strangely I could not bare my soul to the grief.  As I sat waiting for antelope to appear at the waterhole I realized the parallels between our lives.  My fathers first adventure hunt was to Wyoming for antelope when he was about the same age I am now.

He must have been watching over me because I did harvest a fine animal.  The moment was very emotional for me and all the bottled up grief finally surfaced.  It was as though my Dad had a mission for me and our spirits connected over the harvest.

Dad, you will always be there with me as I roam in the pursuit of the hunt.

Dad, this one is for you.........

Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Bittersweet Trophy
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 10:05:00 PM »
Very sorry for your loss Scott.

I think about my dad alot when I am with my son doing the things I did with him when I was a boy.

I am sure it turned out as he would have wanted it to.
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
Scott,
Sorry to read of the loss of your father. But I'm sure as well, that your father was with you, and was a part of your hunt. A beautiful antelope. Prayers for you and your family.

Offline Luke Vander Vennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
Scott, I am not nearly as eloquent with words as some are, but you and yours will be in my prayers for some time to come. Have strength my friend.

God Bless
Dances with Turtles

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
Scott,
My very deepest sympathies to you & your family.
He was indeed with you on that hunt & will be for many years to come.
Prayers for you & yours.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline The Gray Fox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 11:33:00 PM »
Scott:
None

Offline On Fire aka Charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 11:34:00 PM »
Sorry for your loss Scott.  I'll keep your family in my prayers.  Congratulations on the hunt.
"Nobody ever learned anything by doing it right the first time."
                     Tom Leemans

Offline The Gray Fox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 11:35:00 PM »
Scott:

More thoughts of consolation at your loss.  I stood with my loving bride Tuesday as we bid our last farewells and prayers to her father, a true southern gentleman.  I, too, believe your father was with you on the hunt.  TGF
None

Offline kyle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 11:50:00 PM »
I'm sure he was right there with you on your hunt.  Life is too short.  So very sorry for your loss but big congrats on a fine trophy!!

Kyle
WWJD

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »
Congratulations to yourself, and your father on a job well done.
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 05:24:00 AM »
Scott,sorry for your loss it must of been hard to do what you did,But your dad  would have wanted it that way god bless and my prayers go out to you and your family......ED
Put some air under it.

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 06:19:00 AM »
Scott, a father is always there, strong, like a rock.
now it is your turn to carry on the legacy.
 from your post you are on the right path, good luck, and our condolences to you and your family.
i have a feeling your father is looking, and is very proud. Cary and Joey.   :)

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 06:38:00 AM »
Scott,

Dads are ALWAYS there, sometimes when we did something wrong you real whish they werent  :)  but werever we go, whatever we do they are there.....deepest sympathies.

John
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 07:01:00 AM »
My eyes and heart weep for you, Scott, but with both sorrow and joy. You made a connection that will carry you through many a rough spot in your life - and the good ones too. Bless you both. Bless us all.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »
Scott, Congratulations my friend,I'm sure your Dad is VERY PROUD of you!!!

Great Spirit, Our friends father comes to you as swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun. Welcome him to his place at the Hunter's Eternal Campfire.

Chuck
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline nonose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 08:28:00 AM »
Scott,I also am sorry to hear of your loss.I will keep you and yours in my prayers.
Live everyday as it was your last.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2005, 09:48:00 AM »
Scott,

Nice goat and story.  I remember the hard times I had on the first few hunts after my dad passed.  Then one day you look in the mirror and you see him looking back at you and reallize he didn't go anywhere.  He is there in you to carry forward.  Make sure you get your kids out on those hunts so they will have the same memories to carry.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »
Scott,

I was deeply touched by your story. I extend my sympathy and sorrow for your loss. You and all you hold dear are in my prayers. Your father will forever live on in the memories of friends and loved ones.

Vaughn
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 08:29:00 PM »
Scott, Sorry for your loss.That is a very touching story.Glad you made the decision to continue the hunt in your Dads honor.He'll hunt with you forever now bro!!My prayers will be with you and your family.Once again...sorry bro....

Nice pronghorn,if you feel up to it sometime...tell us a bit more about your hunt...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 08:48:00 PM »
Scott, your story brings back memories, the year my Dad died (suddenly and unexpected) I shot the biggest buck ever taken off our property, sure wish he'd been around to see it. He died in the spring, and I couldn't bring myself to hunt turkeys that year on our land, just to many memories of the two of us stompin through the woods. prayers for you and your family.

larry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©