INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Opening Day Turkey..story and pix added  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Opening Day Turkey..story and pix added
« on: October 01, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
Shot this hen this morning around 7:00.I'll fill in details later.But I will say I was in a spot with some "Good Mojo"!! Here's a pic..........

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opening Day Turkey..story and pix added
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »
Congrats!! I have to wait until Monday for our turkey season to open  :)

Kevin.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
Congrats Curt!!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 11:50:00 AM »
Way to go Curt!  That orchard looks familiar to me, maybe I saw pics of it this spring???

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 04:00:00 PM »
Thanks guys...

Very good David!!You have a good memory my friend.Yes, I was set up under the same exact tree where I killed "The Boss" this spring.

Been watching this orchard just after daybreak for the last few days.Last 2 the birds have been right on the same hill.So without really knowing where they were,I just went with my gut feeling and set up in this spot.I put 2 hen dekes out,and settled in.Just about the time I thought I had picked the wrong spot.They opened up in the trees,less than 100yds away!!

It was light enough so I called a bit to them.Within minutes they started coming out of the trees.They flew to the exact spot that I first saw the boss the day I killed him.They messed around,I called a little.They started coming,but most were going behind me out of range.Hens and real small poults.But two other birds were kinda headed my way.They were in no rush to go anywhere.Then from behind I could tell on of the other birds was coming closer.They were all very nervous,but slowly they got closer.One just about got to where I could shoot it a couple times,but stopped just short.Then she finally crossed thru one window,slowly walking to the next where I wanted to shoot her.When she was right where I wanted her to be she stopped,I drew...........
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 04:04:00 PM »
Curt, way to go!! I just saw 40 birds in a field by the house. I think I know where they are going. I am gonna wait about an hour and sneak in there and scatter them. I will then set up the blind and see if I can call them back. Dad and I limited out on pheasants this morning by 9am. Nice bird bud!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 04:06:00 PM »
Man you're a killer! Congrats AGAIN Curt!

Our turkey season opens in a week, but deer season started today. Of course it's 78 degrees out. I'm going out in about an hour.
for an evening hunt.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
Good Luck to both Shawn and Mickey!!

.....and shot right over her back!!!! I couldn't believe it!!

...Dang,gotta go..........
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »
Man, here it is, ready to read the story and I'm left hanging. Kids are going to be gone for the evening, so Heather and I are going out in about an hour on a date.  I won't be back on here till tomorrow afternoon, hope I get to read the rest of the story then.  

Good luck this evening you guys.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005, 05:31:00 PM »
Man o Man, I can almost taste that fried breast strips right now. Ya killen me Curt!! Congratulations!!  Looks like an arra is missing out of the quiver. Is it the one that did the turkey in, and if so, is it usable again?

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 05:56:00 PM »
Nice One, Curt!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »
..So the arrow whizzes over her back and she takes off flying up into a tree a little ways away.But the other two have no clue what just happened,and walk back up the hill where they landed off the roost.Over the next few minutes I still catch glimpes of them over the hill,and the bird in the tree starts calling.Eventually they start coming back down toward me,but start to go behind me.I start slowly closing the "windows" of the blind that were open,and open the ones on the back side.Lead bird passes about thirty yds out,and the second bird is following about 15yds behind her.With nothing to lose I start to purr aggresivly at her and she starts "geeking" closer.I draw and at about 17yds.,with the tracker attatched,the arrow flies,but hits too far back.It blows thru her,and she runs off!!

Long story short,it was one of the hardest recoveries I've ever made.If it wasn't for the tracker,I'm sure I'd have lost her!It involved,a pond,and some of the ungodliest thick briars,vines,burred ox I've ever been in!!!And I ain't lyin'!!!!!!

I shot her with,of course, my "Old Reliable" Kempf Kwyk Styk,a cedar arrow I made,and a Wensel Woodsman bh.

Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »
Thanks Troy

David,it's floating in the pond...I'll spare the details!!!  :banghead:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
Now that is what I am talking about. Look at those pics. My story would be so much better with pics. I vow to get a good camera and start doing them!! Congrats Bro!!! She will be good eatin, a little bigger than mine. I am sure my bird is from a second hatch!! Shawn
Shawn

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 11:08:00 PM »
Curt,you are the tradturkeykillinestmachine that I know! A big congrats to ya,now get after them deer........  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 11:26:00 PM »
Congrats, Bro!  :thumbsup:   I ain't never seen anyone kill as many turkeys with a bow as you do.   :notworthy:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2005, 11:27:00 PM »
Congrats Curt...I was talking outside with 2 customers when 7 hens paraded past my large Pine tree in the backyard! All I did was watch...but I'll be out back tomorrow morning. Again Congrats to you and Shawn...must be something about the Kwik Styk "Mojo".
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 02:04:00 AM »
That's mighty nice...enjoyed your pictures.
I saw a big flock this afternoon but my county doesn't have a season 'till next Spring...
I think they were pretty safe, anyway  :bigsmyl:
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 05:20:00 AM »
Thanks guys,I really enjoy sharing my hunts with you folks.

I'm heading back out this morning to hunt with my good bud.We're gonna hunt by his house.I hope to get him a bird,might even try to video the hunt.

When I was setting up yesterday morning,I couldn't help but think that spot was just perfect to kill another bird.Some serious "MOJO" under that tree!!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 06:47:00 AM »
congrats Curt , Nice bird :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©