INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Curt (Guru) and me is goin' huntin'(pics. Added)  (Read 11187 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Curt (Guru) and me is goin' huntin'(pics. Added)
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »
Curt On Shawn's computer............

We're still alive..we survived the rain and the wind......

Working on pix.....
Shawn

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »
Got home from work at 6am, hit the woods until 10, nothing but pheasants. Caught 2 hrs sleep and headed out this evening. Passed on 3 does and had a 6 pt just out of range at dusk. Can't wait til Sunday even though the moon is starting to shine bright...Good luck guys.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »
Curt and I got in the woods and sitting by 6:20. I sat Curt in a nice creek bottom and I sat the pine tree stand. The guys on the bunny hunt know it well. It is where all the rabbits come out of. We are both tired but I am gonna try and post a pic. and than more about the hunt!! Here is shot of me in my stand. Promise not Laugh!!

and the next is my beautiful bow hanging in the tree

Be back with a littole more of the days and events shortly!!
Shawn

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »
Scouting reports!!! Rut Sign??? What did you guys see?????

OK Don't laugh at me!!! Charlie Alsheimer's book "Hunting Whitetails by the Moon" Has a chapter on predicting the future "Rut" that is LOL. His chart says we may have an early rut this year (???).

Happy Hunting!!!   Chuck
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »
On my way in to my stand, I pulled into the field and a nice buck was walking down the dirt road in front of me. I went to the stand and settled in. I checked my surroundings once light enough

and my hunt began. I first saw several wood ducks and a couple squirrels, than I look behind me and I see a tree shaking. I take out the grunt tube and give a couple soft murps!! Here he comes and he is huge!! He steps into my shooting lane and I come to full draw, but I decide to let him walk!! I do not know if it is legal to shoot beavers with my bow!(LOL!!). I sat until 8:30 when I heard from Curt on the radio and than sat another 1/2 hour and headed out, alittl wet, but glad it was finally here. I will let Curt come on and explain his hunt. First another pic. which is Curt coming back water logged from his hunt!!

Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2005, 10:02:00 PM »
Curt here....

I'm gonna be quick,we're pretty beat..

Got pretty wet on the way in,settled in and the rain wasn't too bad.Right at 7:00,I saw a deer coming to me.I figure,man this is gonna be good.Pick up bino's and see it's a button buck.He comes by real close,but I just couldn't bring myself to shoot him even though Shawn and I said this hunt was about killin' some deer and getting some pix of us together.

That was pretty much it for the morning.

Afternoon,I was ina another stand,saw two spikes.Called the second one in real close,but Shawn doesn't know what shooting lanes are!!! Try as I may..I just couldn't find the shot even thought he was within 8yds. of me!!!!!!!!!
Shawn has a tree pruner,but I need to show him how to use it...   :knothead:    :banghead:  

So close but no cigar...we'll try again tommorrow!!

I post my pix when I get home tommorrow...
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2005, 10:17:00 PM »
Shawn Back
        In between we went and had a buddy of mine measure two of Curts heads. One from Conn.(Avatar buck) and one from a few years back that was taken in Missouri.

Nelson Harrington is an avid hunter and has shot some big whitetails including a 170" mega buck. He is shown above measuring Curts one buck. With another bud as a witness. After the tape and pencil were done both of Curts deer qualified for P&Y. The Conn. buck netted 130 and 3/8ths. and the MS. buck was 126 and 6/8ths. I think he should enter them both as it is a great accomplishment and something for his kids to look at when they get older!! We than left for lunch and our afternoon hunt. I saw a doe and 2 fawns and a small 4 point all walk acroos this field

They enterd the cover I was in and paused in a large opening at 30 yards, with the wind it was just to far for a shot and they slowly fed away. I also saw a few turkeys and darkness fell with out a shot, but there is always tomorrow. It was great day nice to spend it with a good friend.
 P.S> The mount is gorgeouse Curt just hung it on my living room wall!! Good Night and we will have more tomorrow!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2005, 10:22:00 PM »
Good Luck Guys!!!

I'm going up to my Dad's and try to finish putting the siding on his trailer. I'm going to take my bow up and MAYBE I might get to hunt for a couple hours. At the very least, I'll take my bow for a walk and do some scouting,I haven't been up there for 2 weeks.

Happy Hunting!!!   Chuck
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2005, 11:43:00 PM »
Good luck guys. I hope both of ya score in the morning.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2005, 07:52:00 AM »
Go get 'em guys, and keep the pics and stories coming.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2005, 11:52:00 AM »
Shawn...Please remind Curt to bring my Kempf STealth back down. I gotta show it to a customer this week. Thanks...
Hit the woods Sunday morning to high winds. Had 9 Turkeys walk by me but too many sets of eyes to even draw the bow. No deer...hopefully tonite.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »
Well, we are back in. It was lousy, the wind was 25-35 mph and gusts up to 50. I got in my stand in a nice creek bottom at 6:15, I had not been up there 5 minutes and 6 deer walk by at 17yds. Real dark so I could not tell what they were. I was visited by  a couple squirrels and that was it. I sat until nine and headed out to get Curt, he is on his way home and will be on with some pics. I have a couple nice pics. that I will post later, after my nap. That is if I can do it with out Curts help. I also wanted to say we went to my dads and had a nice breakfast of Elk steak ands eggs, compliments of one of my buds and Dads chickens!! Later! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »
Shawn pretty much summed thinmgs up for today.Here's my pix

First morning stand
Where Shawn said the deer would come from.....

As you can see,it's thick!!! Another view...

Look close...he doesn't know how close he was to the freezer.........The button buck......

Don't ask me why I took this one,but since Shawn posted his,I'll post mine.....

That's the first morning....more to follow....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2005, 06:46:00 PM »
After Looking at those two self pics I think you guys could pass for twins. Nice set up along steep creek bank. Thick cover is deer corridors...mac~
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2005, 07:10:00 PM »
Twins!!!!!!

Afternoon stand,This is where the 2 spikes came from....Very thick bottom...tough shots!!

The first spike,just couldn't get a shot.....

This is where the second spike came within 6yds after I called him in,but as you can see,no shot......

Walking out,windy but a good afternoon,sun has set on opening day..........

How'd you like to run into this in the dark....

More to come.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2005, 07:22:00 PM »
is that him curt behind v in tree next to dead tree on ground ? good pics guy!looks like you need a weed wacker type broadhead don't worry those leaves will be down soon enough!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2005, 07:29:00 PM »
Great pics guys.  I like them pretty blue arrows  in that last pic.  Only question I have is, what happened to those "yellow 'nanners"?

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »
Hi guys, I do have more pics. as well. I am gonna post them in  the morning. The nanners were all I have shot for the last 5 years, I just thought it was time for a change. We had a great time and we both felt if the weather had co-operated we would of scored. This morning when I got to Curt in the tree, he said that it was the first time I had set him in a stand that he did not see game!! My batteries are dead so in the morning I will get more pics. posted.  Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »
Here is a shot of how I keep my feathers dry

The zip lock baggy stays on very nicely. Shawn
Shawn

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »
Good luck guys.  Keep plugging away.  I passed on this weekend, got the weather from relatives upstate, and decided it was a no-go.  Looking forward to this coming Friday.  Had to kill a couple of burlap bags these past two days.  You guys are sure scary looking with and without the masks on!!!!  HA!!!  All the best, Al.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©