INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Goat Tuff (pictures  (Read 10433 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goat Tuff (pictures
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2005, 02:44:00 AM »
Chris,

I am jealous!

Dan

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2005, 03:27:00 AM »
Somebody has been getting in my head while I daydream and taking pictures. Absolutely beautiful I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2005, 07:41:00 AM »
That goat country is so beautiful it almost looks unreal ! It looks liking something from an imaginary place...WOW ! The pic's take your breath away. How it must feel to really be there ! Thanks for sharing.

Offline MissMel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2005, 09:59:00 PM »
Just three things to say about that.
ENVY, ENVY, ENVY
Mel

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »
WOW! lookin forward to the rest of the story  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »
That one nanny is 6 or 7.  I can count the growth rings down to the hairline!  Also, check out the dark out of focus spots on the pics.  Those are insects stopped in mid-buzz!  KA!!!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2005, 01:02:00 AM »
So Steve,

When do we get the long drawn out published in tbm version of unimak complete with photo's.  Common you know the gang will love it.  Not that 5 minute short version ya gave me over da phone!  ;)

Offline Thunderflight@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »
When are your going to post the rest of the story?  :bigsmyl:

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2005, 08:15:00 PM »
Oh the wait, Oh the humanity.....

Offline Tuttu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »
My pack slid off my back like a Mack truck sliding on ice.  I was tired, but yet my spirit lifted due to the sight of goats from our camp.  I also knew I had to prep camp, while my hunting partner had to hike down to get the rest of his heavy gear.  Next, it was time to re crop and dust my skin with deet.  I sprayed myself, and scrambled to escape the bugs.  Meanwhile, a white, misty, fog lifted from the valley below, and covered the mountains.  The rain started to drizzle, and I knew I had to move fast to set camp up.  By the time I was done, my tent was up, my gear was ready, and my bow was strung.  I was ready for the hunt.  However, there was one problem; we had to wait one day for the season to open.  When my partner made it back, we decided to do a little scouting after he set up his part of the camp.

We hiked to the top of the ridge where the scenery was just plain awesome.  On each side of the ridge cliffs broke the flatness of the terrain.  Looking downward and across to the far ridges my eyes examined each white object that resembled a goat.  I figured there had to be a goat bedded in between the rocks or on a ledge, but I didn’t identity one through my binoculars, so we figured we were a little too low.  We walked the ridge upward, and had our hearts set on what might be at the top.  

We switched backed and forth up the ridge until we came to a spot were the ridge met the cliff.  I couldn’t believe my eyes, it was down right scary!  Some spots dropped thousands of feet, and I knew I didn't want to come out in the dark or get stuck in the fog.  We finally made it to the top, and ran into some goats on the way.  We took some pictures and with our cameras and downloaded memories that will last a lifetime.

The day was near over, and the journey to descent down the ridge was next.  At that minute we could see the ridge easily, for the fog had seemed to dissipate; however, on the way down the weather changed, and the fog settled in.  My heart literally sank, and my insides twisted.  Our visibility was 60 yards, and I knew the cliffs would be hidden behind the clouds of mist.  I wasn't too afraid of falling off of the cliff, but I was concerned about getting switched around.  My mind raced, and memories of how I felt when I got stuck with my snow machine four years earlier struck me.  I remembered how I was forced to spend the night in the Arctic with limited survival gear.  That lonesome, cold, dark night was the closest encounter I had with death.  Although, I had survived 15 hours of -3 temperatures with drenched clothes, no fire, no food, and no water, it was truly a terrible experience.  

As my Arctic memory faded in and out of my mind, we managed to maze our way down through the fog.  I had my mind set on my 8 month old baby boy and wife.  No words can describe the sick feeling of panic and the stress of being lost.  It drove me nuts because we couldn't see a darn thing.  We thought we were heading the right way, but who knew, we just hoped we wouldn’t veer off the ridge.  After hours of antagonizing feelings and worrying, we finally recognized a small pond that was above camp.  We had made it back and I thanked God for leading the way.  

That night we discussed our plan and watched two nice Billies feeding above unreachable cliffs.  They were in two different spots, but the terrain was similar.  Basically, cliffs were above, cliffs were below, cliffs were to the left, and cliffs were to the right!  There was no possible way we would be able to reach them, but it was by far a sight to see.  As I laid down in my 1 1/2 skinny man tent, I thought about living my dream of goat hunting, and  I couldn’t believe I was finally here experiencing it.  And even though we had a nerve racking experience with the fog, we were not going to give up.  For I adamantly believed that tomorrow would be the day for our opportunities, and I knew we’d have memories that would be cherished for a lifetime.

More to come with final pictures-
Chuck

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »
Now thats some senery Tuttu, can't wait till tomorrow & the rest of th story.

Offline Joe D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
Excellent story and pics!   :thumbsup:
Joe D
"Silva Vocat"

Offline chesapeakeblend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2005, 07:53:00 PM »
this is one great thread!! more pics please!
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.    -Aldo Leopold

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »
TTT for TwoTo, come on man!

Offline Tuttu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2005, 02:01:00 AM »
Hi Guys,
I'm almost done.  I'm very busy with coaching and school.  I've started on the last part and will post soon.  I promise.  
Chuck

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
Tuttu,

You get lost in a snow drift somewhere?  We need to start a S&R?

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2005, 01:38:00 AM »
CHUCK...........................................................................WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to hear the rest of the story, and see the pics!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Rich Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2005, 04:29:00 AM »
Maybe he just didn't get one????  :knothead:

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »
I dunno, Chuck seems like a Natural Born Killer.  I suspect the wolves got a gut pile out of the deal......

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »
That is the prettist county I have ever seen. Keep em coming please!!!!!!
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©