INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: First Traditional deer harvest  (Read 4219 times)

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
First Traditional deer harvest
« on: November 03, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
For the last few years I have said I was going to commit to the Trad bow 100% and infact in 2003 I got a 250# Black Bear with my recurve.

However due to switching back and forth with a compound for varied reasons I had not achieved my ultimate goal which was to harvest a Whitetail deer with a traditional bow.

I have been hooked on Traditional archery since 1999. I have never missed a Compton shoot and have attended a few Cloverdale shoots. I also shoot all the 3d shoots in my area with my recurve (so does my wife). While hunting however the compound kept coming out of the case due to weather, shot setup or probably even confidence. Now after last weekend I cannot imagine using anything other than my trad bow. That is my personal choice and I have NO problem at all with compounds or other bowhunters who use them. I just love the traditional bow and that is me.

OK, details. This guy came in directly towards me from a direction I never considered but there he was coming down a hillside facing me straight on, so I froze. He was trotting slow, kinda in a low sneak position and then veered to my left at 10 yards, stopped and in a relaxed state started to stand more erect looking away from me. That was my chance, I drew my bow and shot. My shot was right there, in the pocket. After a short loop he headed right back towards my tree. He paused and then fell into the dry creek bed my tree is growing up and out of. He wound up falling about 5 feet from my tree.

I am still excited and thought I would share it here.

Regards,
Bill W.
Aim Small

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Traditional deer harvest
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »
Awesome I am sure my time will come soon
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
Whooooey!!!  Don't it feel gooooood?  Way to go Bill!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:   Nice buck too!!!!
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
Very nice.Kip

Offline Duke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 11:49:00 AM »
Congrats!!! Awesome buck!

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »
boy he's a goodun to... way to go  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »
Bill, Im happy for ya...Dandy buck!!! ,ark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Family Tradition

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »
Awesome!

I tell all my compound friends, one kill with trad gear and you will never go back.

With a compund you FIRE your arrows. Just kind of stale to me. Pull,pin now plunger fire!

With a recurve you CAST them. Who even needs to describe the beautiful feeling of a well placed arrow out of a fine traditional weapon.

Oh yeah, Beauty of a buck

mark

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »
Way to go Bill! What an awesome feeling! It is great to see how many people have taken their 1st this year with trad equipment.My 1st trad deer was in 2002 and now 3 years later I have taken a total of 10 deer with my recurve. Unlike killing deer with my compound every deer seems to be just as big a thrill as the last. Good luck to you and all the other new converts out there! Keep us posted on the rest of your hunting season.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Jim Reamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 12:11:00 PM »
Thats Great Bill! Congratulations! Nice Buck!

God Bless!

Jim

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »
Congrats! Nice Deer, Bill!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 12:28:00 PM »
Bill,
Nice buck. Way to go with the "curve". To me it feels like shooting your first deer everytime. Got some ref's from Ron just a few min ago. Gonna check them out. Getting real close to booking. Tom and I have both killed two skin head eaters and are now looking for a GOOD one. I am off for the next 8 days and will be in NE MO. Had about a 140 10 pointer at 7 yds last weekend but the angle was no good. Hope to see him again in the next few days!
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »
Way to go Bill! A beautiful animal!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 12:42:00 PM »
Congrats Bill on a nice buck.  You will never forget you first with a recurve, it's a great feeling.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 12:43:00 PM »
You did good! CONGRATS!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
Great buck Congrats!!
Jason Lester

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »
What a hunt Bill! That had to be the shortest trailing job you ever had! Nice deer to boot!

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »
Thanks Guy's, I know I was very fortunate and am glad I practice a lot (almost everyday). He was very relaxed when I shot and at first I am sure he had no idea what happened. My snuffer hit his off shoulder and did not pass through. He bled pretty good with only one hole (I did not need to trail him but I always look) and when I gutted him there was a lot of blood in his chest cavity. The tip of my snuffer curled but it had already done its job, I have retired this head but I think it could easily be fixed up. I am sure if it had not hit bone it would have gone all the way through.

John, I saw your post and I am glad your evaluation was the same as mine. Ron sounds like he does a good job. I hope we have good luck in AK.

OK, Thanks again guys!

Bill
Aim Small

Offline Yance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »
very nice buck
Yes I am a Pirate, 300 years to late, cannons don't thunder there's nothing to plunder...

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
Got ta love those IL deer...  Good going Bill... now on to the next one
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Users currently browsing this topic: