INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: * My new Love........... Montana!!  (Read 18100 times)

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: * My new Love........... Montana!!
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2006, 07:16:00 AM »
"Getting to the good stuff".....Wow!  If its better than these pictures than it should be pretty good.

I wonder how many trad gang members have spent the last several days checking in on the adventures of Curt, Charlie, CK, and Whip.  Three great threads that I've been jumping back and forth reading.  Anyone else starting to feel like they've gone to Wyoming, then Colorado, over to Oregon, back to Montana, up the mountains, down to the plains, and now back up to the high country.

Shoot, my legs are starting to feel tired just reading about it all.

Keep up the good work Curt.  

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline TimBow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 29, 2006, 07:18:00 AM »
Great Thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2006, 07:52:00 AM »
This is so cool... it's like a way to extend the hunting season!  After just getting back from my own trip I get to go on another with you guys by reading this and I feel like I'm right back in the mountains.  Our time there is never long enough, so this really helps extend it and bring back the feelings of being there.
Keep it coming Curt!  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 29, 2006, 08:08:00 AM »
Curt and Tracy,Great story thanks for sharing it with us.Curt the pics are good and the story better know get to the good stuff >>>-----> ED
Put some air under it.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »
Curt, I know that making these posts can eat up tons of time, but I hope you guys know how much we love this stuff!  It's hugely appreciated.  Sounds like one of the best parts is almost here!!!    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »
Livin the life of dreams man, livin the life of dreams. Still gladly hangin on every word and pic....
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2006, 09:52:00 AM »
Just lovin it bud!! Good job... I have an idea how much time this tellin takes.  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2006, 10:13:00 AM »
Certainly does take some time Charlie, but the benefits are so great.  Just this morning I've already been to Montana chasing antelope and elk, then to Oregon, back to Montana for Whitetails, and now I'm headed up to Alaska to see how we're doing on Blacktails.  Next best thing to being there!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »
Yeah you guys really do a great job.  Putting up the photos and writing the stories, it makes a book almost like the little delta stories. It gets me pumped to go out.  Thanks.
Andrew

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2006, 11:19:00 AM »
Very well stated Whip  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 29, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm still attentive! CK

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 29, 2006, 03:34:00 PM »
Sure enjoying this one Curt, thanks for letting us tag along.

By the way, you look good on that pony  :thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 29, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »
Well good,I'm glad you're not bored guys....

Before I go too much further I gotta say that thru all this time and effort...Pete never waivered in his quest to show me the prettiest places in MT,and to try to get me into the critters..... I know there were plenty of times he wanted to get some rest,and me too,but time was short and it was going fast. He's an afternoon guy,and I'm a morning guy.So it was tough for him to get up sometimes,while I'd be up pacing.....But he always did!!!

We were having such a good time while hunting and traveling.We think a lot alike about a lot of things..... we talked plenty about family,friends,hunting.....but mostly we smiled and laughed.... .A LOT!!!!  

Like I said,time was passing way too fast.....

I'll be back....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 29, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »
We would bring the horses back to the stable,shower up,and get our gear together,and head for another piece of heaven!!!

Peter left this place a his ace-in-the- hole....Deer mecca!!!  Hunters nirvana!!!!

We would get there in time for a quick visit with the rancher,and a ride with him to tour his place. There were deer all over the place! One side had a creek bottom ,the other a hill...mostly whitetails in the bottom and mulies from the top...but both coming from both areas. All converging on a couple of alfalfa fields.

It was the kind of river bottom hunting that I've been watching for years in video with the Wensels when they were in MT.....another dream becomes a reality.....

In this pic you can see the strip of trees in the distance....

Other side of the alfalfa,where most of the mulies came from....

A couple mulie does....

The next morning we would scout and set a treestand on a heavy trail on the edge of the trees in the bottom.....Pete's plan was to gillie-up and slip around,working ditches,and hedgerows around the field......

It had been a cold,damp day so far...we both agreed a perfect day for hunting.Deer seemed to be moving all day,so we decided to get out a little earlier than originally planned.It was the coldest day so far,I knew it was going to be cold sit,but I was well prepared with a winona sweater and hat a good friend had given me(he said all he asked was for a pic of something I killed while wearing it).My outer layer was an unlined wolfskin predator jacket, from good bud "Larry", that I knew would shed water.Something that would soon be tested.......

I got into my stand and almost immediatly had a doe mulie with two fawns slip by....Peter likes to see the mulies does....whitetails would be our primary target.I wouldn't be long till I had more deer around me.....

Curt } >>--->   

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2006, 06:20:00 PM »
I'm loving every word and photo of this story.....and now it's going to get better???  Keep it coming my friend!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2006, 07:08:00 PM »
OOPs....Sorry for making that noise when we're in the stand.  :eek:  

I'm hanging on every post Curt this is way cool   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  .........vance

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »
This fawn was soon joined by it's twin and mamma. They would play around in front of me for quite a while  before heading to the alfalfa. I could see deer everywhere in the distance....what a place!

Soon I had another doe coming,as she closed,I prepared for my chance to let Ol' Painless do her thing.She was a bit spooky from a swirling wind,but settled down and came in and quartered away at about 15yds......I remember picking a spot back to allow for the angle....as the string slipped,she wheeled,lowered her front end, and quartered even harder before the Snuffer(160)tipped carbon dissappeared into her side.......

She raced off.....I knew "Painless",after 20 yrs.,had done her thing!!!!

As I studied the arrow thru my bino's,it was obvious that ,as Charlie said earlier in his thread,the arrow must have just hung up by the fletch,then fallen out...it wasn't stuck in the ground. I could see,blood,and I could also see "green stuff"...but I knew with the angle,things would work out just fine......

I settled down and nocked another arrow...I still had my either sex tag to fill,and it was plenty early....just maybe...........
Curt } >>--->   

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2006, 07:44:00 PM »
Lovin every minute of it...
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2006, 07:56:00 PM »
good story Curt, you guys and your long stuff, that is what makes this site special...you get to read something new on the adventure everyday!
Man, i would have loved to meet Rosey, been reading about him forever!
BD  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »
A steady rain started,but I had a pretty good canopy above me,and my Wolfskin was sheding water very well.It was chilly,but I was very comfortable,and certainly warmed up by all the action going on around me,and in the distance.There wasn't a second in the stand that I couldn't see deer.Did I mention the flock of turkeys that were hangin' around?

I would catch Peter in the distance once in a while,slipping around,he's quite a predator!

Suddenly, from the west, I see 4 deer running in my direction about 300yds away.A quick look thru the Leica's reveals 4 bucks...and one's a dandy!!!
 These deer are coming the same way a doe with two fawns came from earlier,and they ended up in front of me.I can remember hoping these would follow suit.......

They went into the woodline about 200 yds away,the same general area the others had gone into earlier,best I could tell anyway......

Maybe ten minutes later I see some movement thru the willows.....Another look thru the glass......TINES!   He was still about 100yds,but looked to be on course with the earlier deer.But honestly I couldn't really tell which direction he was headed,and now I couldn't see him....

A minute later one of the little bucks he was with,a spike in velvet, came out at about 80yds,and looked toward the alfalfa.He was soon joined by the other two small bucks,two 6pts.......They kept looking back and I kept hoping as my heart raced......then movement came again thru the willows....he was coming!!!
Curt } >>--->   

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©