INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: * My new Love........... Montana!!  (Read 18090 times)

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: * My new Love........... Montana!!
« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2006, 11:05:00 PM »
Curt,Nice deer really thick,you make it seem like we are there,Thanks for sharing...ED
Put some air under it.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
What a great trip thanks for sharing, I'm glad you had such success.  Now you know why I moved back here this year, it is a wonderful state.
Andrew

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2006, 11:13:00 PM »
Man, what a hunt guys!!  Somebody let my wife know, we're movin' to Montana!!!!!!!
Hill

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2006, 11:15:00 PM »
Hey Curt,

Congrats on a great hunt.  I remember praying a couple of years ago when you were injured that you would heal and have the chance to resume hunting.  I couldn't be happier for you, bro.

Stan

BTW, is it just me or does Pete really look like a rock star when he throws those shades on?    :cool:

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »
Ok now on with the rest of the story. This is killin me.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2006, 12:20:00 AM »
Awesome buck,the color and shape if his rack is beautiful.Congrats!

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2006, 12:36:00 AM »
Hey, now that buck is a DANDY!  Great story and pictures!  Thanks for making room for all us to join you along the trail!
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2006, 05:37:00 AM »
Alright Curts up!!! more,more please  :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2006, 06:01:00 AM »
Thanks again guys...I'm glad you're enjoying it....

Stan, Thank you Bro...than means a lot to me....I'm blown away by the wonderful things that have happened in my life since then...

We hunted again that afternnon after taking care of my buck and doe. By the way, the doe had a beautiful, super short haired cape with a lot of long red summer hair still in it.My plan is to mount the two of them together.Something to remember that incredible day forever.

That evening I went back to the same stand and Pete hunted the stand we put up that morning.Another great afternoon,with a ton of deer spotted,but most at a distance.Some were real nice bucks too,both mulies and whitetails.Pete had a lone doe come in,very cautiously.I was watching the whole thing from my stand about 100yds away.She was just about under him and spooked a little,jumped back a few steps,and was leaving.I watched Pete draw and shoot.....his arrow deflected off a branch.

We waited till dark,went to the truck and headed for his place.We had one more day to hunt,then I had to leave.The plan was to go to one of Bill's super secret,ace-in-the-hole elk spots.As we drove back pete got a hold of Bill,but Bill had to much going on at the archery shop(did I mention what a great shop he has?).So plan "B" was put into play.

We'd sleep in,go to Bill's shop to say goodbye,then head to Billing to hunt for the last afternoon to try to fill a couple antelope tags.

We said our goodbye's to Bill(another great Montanan I wish I could have spent more time with) and headed east........
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2006, 06:18:00 AM »
The plan was to cruise around the same areas we had hunted last week to try to find either a stlking situation,or a good decoyable buck.

We camo'd up and started our last afternoon of hunting together.....

gotta go
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2006, 08:24:00 AM »
congratulations, Curt...what a pretty buck..looks like Peter is a great guy to spend time with...nothing better than a cheerful campmate to MAKE a hunt great in every way possible, no matter what the "take". Good for you guys!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »
Fantastic story and pics, Curt.
The quintessential bow hunt.  :archer:
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »
Ray and Martin.....I'd hate to say this hunt was better than any other I've been on...but Martin put it very well..."The quintessntial bow hunt"

...and yes Ray, Pete's an amazing dude!

I'll try to finish this up later tonight...."Painless" isn't finished just yet......
Curt } >>--->   

Offline jcsnapshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:

I'll try to finish this up later tonight...."Painless" isn't finished just yet......
Maybe it isn't "Painless" for you bud, but the suspense is killing the rest of us. Congrats Curt on a Great hunt. Awesome story and pics. Thanks for taking us along with you to Big Sky country.

Shoot Straight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jim

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: October 01, 2006, 08:53:00 PM »
I've been gone for a bit and had to come back here and catch up.  Way to go Curt!  That day will certainly be remembered fondly for years to come!
Now let's get on with the rest of the story!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: October 01, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »
...we knew this would be my last chance to fill my tag.I couldn't help but think all day about our bud Terry Green and the great buck he killed on the last afternoon of his hunt with Charlie and Vance....It fueled me to try to pull this off.

.. We found a couple nice bucks with herds of does and tried a couple decoy set-ups. But these guys were looking for love,not a fight.

We jumped back in the truck and headed for a peice of property we'd gotten permission to hunt the week before when we were there......As we got to the back side of the property,we noticed a small herd of does with a nice buck.He wasn't too far from the road,and in a good spot for a short sneak......

.....Well I made just that, and as the does moved off,he stood just long enough to get a good shot off......

....Well three big feathers and 160 Snuffers aren't exactly the best combo to shoot in the ever present howling wind of the Montana prarie.....It was one of those arrows that when ya let go,ya just know it's good....but the wind....it seemed slow motion as the arrow arched high, and drifted further and further back before dropping in high into his hind end.....he took off running,and blood was immediately evident,but soon (about 30yds)lost control of his rear legs.It was like a delayed reaction spine shot....he tried to get up,but couldn't. It was time to sneak in for a follow up shot and I did just that.As I closed he tried to get up and took a Woodsman thru both shoulder blades....it was soon over....Pete and I each put a hand on him and said a silent prayer......another unbelieveable Montana experience with my Bud!!!

We loaded him up and took him to a different part of the ranch for pix......He's a great buck with lots for character,a goofy curve,an extra prong....

...and good mass....

....Quality time.....

...My ever present smile,got even bigger.....

And Pete's "million dollor smile"....

Two Schafer's......

My "Jeremy" knife got another good workout(yes,it's a bit rusted,it got wet in it's sheath the first day we packed in,sorry bud)....

We tried for a little bit to see if we could double up....but we decided to call it the end...

we cleaned the truck...

It was over,and it was starting to hit me...I didn't want it to end..........
Curt } >>--->   

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: October 01, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
That pronghorn has some character!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: October 01, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »
What a great hunt! Congrats on the pronghorn.

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: October 01, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
Great Hunt and a Great story!!! Your pictures were great. Thanks Curt!!!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »
Good show Curt,I'd call that a dream hunt for sure!!  :wavey:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©