INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: * My new Love........... Montana!!  (Read 18103 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: * My new Love........... Montana!!
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2006, 11:08:00 AM »
About this hunt,you see I wasn't hunting at all except I was using a bow and shooting stumps and maybe a grouse or rabbit.And having a ball I might add.

I have had a bad couple of years,I lost my mom,my dad,my best friend and hunting buddy,my grandpa,and two aunts all to cancer all in two years.

I just needed some time away and Peter and I had been talking about a whitetail hunt and he invited me up there to hunt with him and Curt,Well twist my arm.I jumped at the chance to meet Pete and Curt,And I am glad I did,Throw in the chance at maybe meeting some other tradgang members and seeing Montana,shoot you didn't have to ask me twice.

It was a great trip for me and I hope to go back and do some big game hunting next year.

The arrow I am shooting was for all of the lost loved ones and I didn't know Curt took the picture until I looked up.Thank you Curt, I am glad you did it came out great.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the free ride guys!  It's been a good'urn.   :thumbsup:

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
Tracy,God bless and thanks for sharing it with us.A very emotional moment for sure. >>>>----> ED
Put some air under it.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :notworthy:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »
Awesome stories! It sure would have been nice
to meet you guys. Did you guys find any of these?

He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
4fletch, It would have been nice to meet you too.No we didn't see any but I think we were to high,8400 ft I have always found sheds down low.It would have been nice  :)

Thanks Ed for the nice comments,there is alot more to the story but this is Curts thread.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2006, 06:00:00 AM »
No Tracy,I told you,this is OUR thread.I'm just the one posting pix......This hunt was about all of us having a great time together bud.Please feel free to add all you'd like,as I don't have a lot of time for typing....it's easier for me to add pix with a few comments...

Thanks everyone for the kind words...

Our camp.....

As we hunted and shot,it was decided it was time for a change.The elk hunting was slow,it was hot,so we thought it would be best to go chase some antelope around for a few days.The plan was to return in a few days in hopes that thing would be "heating up" with the elk.
Hikin' out........

Headin' for antelope country.......

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2006, 07:00:00 AM »
Alright Curt I will do my best.Looking at those camp pictures in the second one there is a tent behind the log,thats were we all slept,well kind of.The tent was on a slight incline and nylon sleeping bags like to slide. I had a leg wedged under Pete's mat to keep from sliding and Dave was doing the same thing on mine and Curt on the other side of Dave and,Have you ever heard the saying you go we go.Lets just say there was alot room in the top part of the tent in the morning.

That was a long walk down the mountain for me because I knew I wouldn't be coming back,Not this year anyway.I sure wanted to watch Curt shoot a big bull,Yeah they were coming back but I would have to head home after chasing antelope and maybe some deer too.I sure injoyed the time in the mountains,  :)  

Tracy

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2006, 07:08:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2006, 07:51:00 AM »
Just great guys...keep it comin..  :thumbsup:  
  :campfire:

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2006, 08:39:00 AM »
My Ex She-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named  , Was Originally from Laramie, Wyoming. I was always telling her "There are  NO  Trees in Wyoming!!"  MAD  WOOOOEEEEE!!!!!  :mad:    :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
Curt, were you going to use that white outfit to flag the antelope in?  :bigsmyl:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2006, 09:50:00 PM »
Norb, That's just my hikin' outfit bud...

That after noon we set up a couple blinds by some water.Then spent a couple hours tryin' to decoy/stalk some antelope.Very exciting way to hunt,but the bucks just weren't quite ready to fight.They would come.but not close enough for a good shot.

That evening Tracy and I sat in my DB blind(broken,I;ll let Peter tell that story),and Peter sat in Tracy's blind.We saw a few mulie and antelope does,but far off and none came to drink.I did make the kind of shot on a rabbit,that usually happens when your alone,but Tracy was witness to my best shots of the trip.

Peter had some mulie does come in,and saw some antelope at a distance,but he didn't shoot anything.We'd be back at it in the morning....

I slipped into the blind Peter sat the night before as day was breaking,full of anticipation.Tracy and Peter would check out some new ground,and find some critters for possible decoying later.

View from the blind....

I saw nothing that morning...we spent the remainder of the day tryin' ...but it wasn't meant to be......That evening it was time to part ways with Tracy....He was heading home....what a great guy...a very knowledgable hunter....I hope this isn't the last time we hunt together.....I was sad to see him leave...it wouldn't be the same without him......

....We were off to Rosey's house.....When we got there,he was still out hunting....But lisa was there to greet us with a big smile and a hot meal.....Looking at the pix on the wall and in their albums while we waited for Rosey...it wasn't hard to see that she was quite an accomplished hunter......most of us would pale in comparison!!!!   :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2006, 09:59:00 PM »
Rosey would finally show up,and I would finally get to shake the hand that I'd read so much about,and heard so many stories about from Peter.I can see why he's Peter's best friend!!! He's a treat!!
 The next morning I would really get a full load of Rosey after about 4 cups of coffee....Tha world according to Rosey as Pete and I put it....Probably the best hunter I will ever meet!!!

After a couole more cups of coffe for Rosey,it was off to finally get together with Doug Campbell and Karen.I had a special gift to give to Pete, and Doug had it......Can ya guess what it might be???????
Curt } >>--->   

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2006, 10:59:00 PM »
Curt it was pleasure getting to meet you and hunting with you.I injoyed the time we spent togather,and yes I hope we can do some more hunts in the future.There are a few kansas whitetail bucks that need to be thinned out around here and I know just the guy that could do it  ;)  even if he does shoot off the wrong side of the bow.  :D

Tracy

Offline jcsnapshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2006, 12:19:00 AM »
Great job with the stories and pics guys. Thanks for taking us on the journey with you.

Shoot Straight>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Jim

Curt sure can shoot, can't he?

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2006, 06:00:00 AM »
Looking forward to it bud....I gotta feeling I'll like Kansas!

As we closed in on Doug's place we knew we were close to the fires.....we had to sign some papaerwork just to go further up the raod at our own risk....we were close!!  But the day we got there was damp,and rain was on the way....it was a big turning point for thr fires....at least that's what we heard on the radio......

After some greetings and handshakes,we settled in for a great lunch with two of the finest people I'll ever meet...Doug handed me one of his little beauts...and I presented it to Peter as a thank you for all he was doing for me....one of Doug's capers with a fossilized walrus jawbone handle....Pete seemed to like it,who wouldn't....I'll some pix of it later...a little red !!!!

We where only able to stay a little while(Fire stuff),but it was time very well spent.We said our goodbyes and it was off to pete's house to clean up...then hit the mountains again....a snow storm was hitting the high country and we need to get Dave a Bill out...if things weren't too bad,we'd hunt some too.......

...It was coming.....

I was the only one up the next morning...a short walk...one bugle and it was time to pack up and get out......

Same view....

At the top....

At the bottom.....

On the way back to Pete's we saw a Bighorn ewe along the road....very cool!!!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »
Were about to get to the good stuff guys...hope I haven't bored ya too much...  ;)
Curt } >>--->   

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 29, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »
Not bored at all. Keep it coming!!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 29, 2006, 07:05:00 AM »
Awesome story guys, reading this is a great way to start the day. Thanks.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©