INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Annual bowhunt  (Read 3703 times)

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
Annual bowhunt
« on: November 08, 2005, 09:51:00 PM »
Every year I try to take off the week before MO gun season which is the 2nd Sat in Nov.  I am lucky and have several acreages I get to hunt. This is the best week to bowhunt in MO as the rut is in and the bucks are moving.  I hunt around Kirksville, Mo.  I blew out of work last Thurs at 11:45 and was at one of my spots by 3:00 p.m.  I had hunted up there the week before and seen 3 good bucks from the same stand. One was a GREAT 10 pointer that came head on to me after coming out of the brush behind me. I had to turn completely around as he came 15, 10, 7. No shot as he was head on. He stopped at 7 yds and turned. As I got to half draw he looked up at me and spooked a little, turning and walking away slowly. No good shot. A short time later a big old buck with a grizzled white face came in downwind. He had a big forkhorn type rack, I couldn't see his brow tines. He was an old buck that was going downhill. He turned and left the way he had come.  Later a nice high 8 pointer came in following a doe that had her lower right rear leg missing.  I had seen her during spring turkey season. She was skinny and gaunt. Her rib cage and back were messed up. Must have got hit by a car or something.

By 3:30 I was at one of the properties I hunt. It is a long wooded draw. I have had some good encounters here the last 2 years.  As I walked in I saw that it had been logged.  Big beautiful oaks had been dropped everywhere. What a bummer. I almost left but didn't have time to go anywhere else.  I got in a tree with my climber and 20 min later a spike and a little six pointer came in. No time for pics as they came in on the trot. The 6 busted me trying to get the camera but came back later RIGHT under my stand for a 2nd time. Well at least they are stilling traveling thu the area.
When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Annual bowhunt
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »
Here is a pic of the logging and a view from my tree stand. I will try to do some everyday.

When a man shoots with a bow it is own vigor of body that drives the arrow,  his own mind controls the missile's flight......His trained muscles and toughened thews have done the work

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 10:39:00 PM »
Looks like a dandy place John. Good luck!

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »
I don't know if I have enough pictures to drag this story out to long. Friday morning I had a six point at 5yds and the next day a medium 8 pointer came in on a different piece of ground. I was moving around hitting several properties. I had deer in good bow range everytime I went out. There was good sign.

The next morning was Saturday and I was going back to the property where I had the big ten point close.

Sat morning a small six came by.  He was limping and not putting any weight on his right rear foot. Must of been fighting I would guess.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
About 6:50 am I see a good one coming. He stops about 50 yds away and works a scrape and a licking branch. Then he heads my way. This is going just the way I envisioned it when I picked out the tree for my climber.

He comes into my shooting lane, stops and looks the other way just like he read my playbook. I pick my spot, and cut loose. He breaks outta there like a possessed demon and I hear him crash for about 50 yds or so. Then it is silent and a few seconds later I hear some more brush breaking.

I can see most of my arrow on the ground.

IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/jkmolongbow/brokenarrow.jpg[/IMG]

It looks like my whole arrow but I can just see the back half. It looks like the front half is buried under some pine needles. Did I miss? No it must have been a pass thru but the feathers looks awful clean for that. The pic is deceiving because I picked it up before I took the pic and it fell apart. I will wait a half hour. The limping six pointer comes back by while I am waiting.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 09:07:00 PM »
IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y295/jkmolongbow/brokenarrow.jpg[/IMG]

Oops! Caveman in a computer chip world

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 09:11:00 PM »

Oops again

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »
After a half hour I get down and look for blood.  The front half of my arrow is gone. I slowly head the way he went and I see first blood.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »
Second blood.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
I ease ahead a few more yards and............

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »
Congrats on a great hunt and deer, love the pics too.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »
I get to field dressing and find several inches of wood arrow and the WW  behind his heart in his lungs. I shot left some a drilled him thru the shoulder. The arrow got both lungs and the WW was in his lungs. I cut it out for reuse.

Offline John Krause

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »
Here are some more pics. He is my best ever but I saw 3 others that were better than him on the same property. Have to wait for gun season to get over before I can bowhunt again.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »
Way to go....good shooting, John!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »
Nice John!
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 11:08:00 PM »
Hey there's that smiling JKMO with a nice buck!
Congrats John, he's a dandy   :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
Reason to smile  :thumbsup:   Mac~
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Offline Walkingstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
Reason to smile  :thumbsup:   Mac~
" I always hunt with two other companions even though I mostly hunt alone - God and my dad."
God's love is like an ocean..one can see the beginning but not the end.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 11:43:00 PM »
Way to go John!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 06:08:00 AM »
Very nicely done John!!  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp