INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Deer Camp 2005  (Read 4975 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer Camp 2005
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »
Good deal John, Congrats. So the monkey is now off your back as well. Glad you found him brother!
  :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »
John

GREAT story and good follow up!  Oughta be lottsa meat at Cloverdale next year.  I mean we usually have a shortage and have to ration it out for everyone.
Otto

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2005, 07:02:00 PM »
A shortage of meat at Cloverdale? yeah and it never rains there either  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2005, 08:41:00 PM »
or falls down and loses his glasses   :saywhat:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »
Moderators, ya'll can yank this thread any time now  :bigsmyl:  I don't know what ya'all are talkin about  "[dead]"
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2005, 11:05:00 PM »
There is that selective memory again Dano.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline jeff mccray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2005, 10:53:00 AM »
5 year wait never been so sweet huh?
Jeff
God Give Me The Strength to Better Do Thy Will!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »
Congrats John! Wish my week went better.

I connected on a very nice 8 pt. Saturday morning. He was chasing a doe that was running past me. I snorted at him to stop him and, in my mind's replay, I know I rushed the shot. (BTW I was about 14 feet up in a ladder stand) I quickly drew and released. I'm not even sure I drew all the way back. (mistake #2) Anyway, the shot was a bit high, straight up from the armpit. It only went in about 8-10". Didn't hit lung but I'm sure of an arterial hit from the blood. (I was using some vintage Bear Razorheads and my BBO "Nightmare") Anyhow, he ran off about 80 yards downhill and stopped for about 30 seconds. I could clearly see blood running down his side. He then slowly walked off over the point of the next hill after crossing a ditch. He had broken the arrow off at the broadhead when he crossed the ditch. I gave him a couple hours before taking up the trail with a friend and my brother.

The initial blood trail looked like someone threw cups of bright red blood everywhere. The was a large pool of blood where he stopped and a lot of blood wherever he traveled. He ended up following a ridge above the steep bank leading down to the creek. We found where he had turned downhill towards the creek. I was making my way downhill, all the while telling the guys to slow down, when my brother had gotten way out in front of us and jumped the buck from his bed near a deadfall where he had left another large pool of blood. Too bad, because I may have been able to put another arra in him. So then he runs back uphill and we loose sight of him where he should have run across a fire break or doubled back towards us. He lost a blood clot about halfway up the hill and was bleeding again. When he reached the firebreak/4 wheeler path, the blood stopped. No blood on the path. He didn't cross the field because he would've painted the grass red. He didn't go right because we would've seen him. We looked for hours for more blood but never found another drop. My brother even climbed up a tree to watch for him in case we jumped him again. Nothing. Needless to say, I was just sick about it. The weather turned very sour Saturday night/Sunday with tornados just north of us and rain and high winds where we were and I had to get back home Sunday. Hopefully, some of our friends will find him or he'll heal up.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »
tom,
sorry to hear bout that one, that's gotta hurt.

john,  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  
dave
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2005, 10:30:00 PM »
Thanks all!  Sorry about that Tom.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©