INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Way East.... another bowhunting journey.  (Read 21947 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Way East.... another bowhunting journey.
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2006, 09:42:00 PM »
An hour had gone by when I spotted movement out in the hardwoods. A doe and her young of the year were literally running toward me.

I had the tag to cover it and figured I might as well try. I slid an arrow across my bow and seated it on the nocking point.

The path taken by the doe and yearling are the yellow lines. Where they stopped to feed is the "X".

Feeling guilty about the buck, I determined to wait until the doe was right on top of me. I didn't have long to wait.

At one point she stood feeding just ten yards away as I stood slumped behind the telephone pole size stump.

The problem was that she was always facing me. I waited for the broadside that had to come.

Finally she turned and stepped behind some brush. Her line of travel would take her through an opening and I'd shoot.

Wasn't gonna happen!! She jumped across my only opening and fed off behind cover. The yearling had also turned and was feeding away.

I guess that's one the things that excites me about hunting. You can be sooooo in control of a situation and suddenly have it disentegrate before your eyes. Keeps you guessing I suppose.

Two hours from the time I'd shot the buck, I took the trail. It was easy enough to follow at first, but in the end it stopped as I've seen other muscle hits do.

With Terry on hands and knees at the end we had to back out. The country was too dense and the animal not leaving any sign that we could find.

I was pretty quiet going back to camp. Even though the likelyhood of the animal surviving from what was surely a muscle hit was very good, it made me feel bad. The next time would be different.

Extra time was spent at the practice range that afternoon and I felt a little better by the afternoon hunt.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2006, 10:41:00 PM »
Sure enjoying this  :thumbsup:

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: November 03, 2006, 10:16:00 AM »
Keep it coming.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: November 03, 2006, 04:45:00 PM »
You've heard it before....the camera don't do em justice...."Woody's Work".

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
Very nice Terry
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »
Like Terry sez, you've got to see Woody's Work in person to really appreciate the amazing art and craftsmanship involved.  And lest ya think different, these points are dang tough - I witnessed Woody shooting the same stone headed shaft into the foamie butt over and over, with nary a scratch let alone a chip or break.  Simply Amazing.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2006, 08:25:00 PM »
Woody,  That point is top notch.  I hope to shot one with a stone point next year.

Jeff
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2006, 07:40:00 AM »
Well, since I've got another hunt starting tomorrow and since the other guys aren't adding much to this thread, I'll go ahead and add my closing thoughts.

I can't remember the last time I went on a hunt that wasn't just great. The taking of game doesn't even fit in the equation of a great hunt... and that's a good thing for me. Even hunting a lot, there will be days that just don't show any game.

But it's about enjoying what you've got and in time, when the dues are paid, the harvests come along.

I could have set around camp at Paradise and visited with Rob, Terry, Woody, Joe, and Bob (who left straight for another hunt at the conclusion of this one) for the entire time.
This is one fine bunch of guys!

Remember, this was a hunt that was auctioned for St. Jude's, so I guess you'd expect the winners to be great guys with big hearts. They certainly were!!

I can't forget to mention my huntin bud, Keith Brunner.

Keith and I met on an elk hunting trip in Colorado a few years ago and have been friends since day one.
He drove a long way just to drop in and "hang around" with us one evening.

Maybe he just wanted to even up the fried chicken playing field... I'd brought a bucket of KFC to camp in Colorado, not knowing that Keith owns his own restaurant which specializes in chicken.

The other guys put me behind the eight ball on that one and I'd been paying ever since.
Keith brought along a bunch of his own chicken just to broaden my horizons.... Buddy! That stuff is great eatin!!        :wavey:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2006, 08:01:00 AM »
Travel safe Buddy! Have a great time in Ohio and don't forget Dick's shopping bag. I'm sure he'll need it!  :thumbsup:  

Dang Woody, Those are absolutely awesome in every detail. Keep up the beautiful work! CK

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2006, 08:56:00 AM »
Good readin Charlie, as always.  Your coyote encounter had me grinnin...I had one of my own yesterday..called him in with my hand too and managed to get a 25 yard shot.  I've always wanted to get one real bad...but I shot just below his ticker.  

Lookin forward to hearing about Ohio next.    :thumbsup:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
Randy... gotta love those chance coyote encounters. Learning to lip squeak years ago sure was a blessing.
I've called more coyotes (and foxes) using that method than any commercial call I've used... but I'm a hack at varmint calling and the ones I do call always spot me at 80 yards or something rediculous like that.

They won't get within 100 of any tree I'm in so I guess I have the coyote curse or something.  ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2006, 09:19:00 AM »
Bit nippy here this morning Charlie...22 degrees but supposed to be warmer by the time you get here. Full moon has slowed down morning activity some. Dianne saw NADA this morning. A buck behind every tree?    :rolleyes:   LOL

Looking forward to seeing you again and meeting Vance
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: November 04, 2006, 09:57:00 AM »
It will be good to see you again Charlie and looking forward to meeting Vance. I'll be down for Monday and Tuesday.  I know Chad's got a bunch of spots ready to hunt so I know we will see whitetail. Since Vance always has food on his mind, tell him dinner in town Monday evening, his choice. (of the few places avalable...small town   :D ) Mickey...You going to be there Monday or Tuesday?  Hope so.

Dick

And CK...I'll deal with you later.  :jumper:

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: November 04, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »
Mickey, I got home from work at 7:45 and was in the tree by 8:15. I had the first 2 bucks come by 8:16!! I just got my bow pulled up when they came into 10 yards. All total i seen 4 bucks and 4 does by 10:00.

CK, In this part of the world, Dick is safe. Now if we was related that would be different!  :D  

Have a safe trip guys! I'm looking forward to it. I'll see ya Monday Dick!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: November 05, 2006, 06:11:00 AM »
Well folks its about to be underway!  :bigsmyl:   I just talked to Charlie and he and Vance are heading this way.

Charlie,Vance, and I will be out of the loop until saturday. But i'm sure there will be plenty of stories when we get back. Maybe Dick and Mickey will give ya'll some updates during the week.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2006, 09:31:00 AM »
Dick I told Diane not to expect me for dinner Monday and Tuesday.

Chad I'll give the gang day by day reports each night.

See you this afternoon.

Offline Jimbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »
Good Luck Ferret! I think you time is here. I suspect that the Ferret will stone a Big one.
Jimbob

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: November 11, 2006, 12:58:00 AM »
Just bringing this back to the top as i'm sure there will be some new entries made soon!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »

Dang! What a season this has been! As you all know by now, I just returned from a trip "east" to visit and hunt with my buddy in Ohio, Chad Jones.

I've known Chad for a while now and have to say he's as good a hunting companion as you'll ever find.

He'd invited me and my pal Vance "Iron Bull" Brewer to share his vacation time with him chasing huge old Ohio bucks during the rut.

It was at the top of my list of "must do's" and I didn't let the door hit me in the ass at departure time.

Vance and I convoyed east to Chad's place. Vance would leave at the end of the hunt for a visit with Joe Coots and Terry Green down in Georgia and then off to his daughter's home from there.

I'd turn around and head home... but now I'm way ahead of myself.

We arrived much later than expected do to heavy traffic trying to get clear of the city on my end.

Since it was the first day of Chad's vacation (the man works way too much!) he had the good sense to head for the woods when it looked like we would be out of the loop for the evening's hunt.

Turns out the deer were really moving that day and he took a very nice buck.
Vance and I arrived in time to give a hand with the trailing and dragging so the day wasn't a total loss for us.

Even in the steady rain which heralded our arrival, the buck was easy to find. Leaking bad from a Snuffer "Owie" we found him a short ways off in the brush at the end of a profuse blood trail.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2006, 10:40:00 PM »
With a lot of catching up to do, we headed home for a bull session and some hot grub. Chad's wife Shannon made sure we wouldn't die of starvation and really loaded up our plates with goodies.

It was sure good to see Chad again and with Micky Lotz present we were all wearing a steady smile and finding plenty to laugh about.

Before long we would retreat to our repective beds for a short nights rest and it seemed my head had just hit the pillow when I heard Chad nocking at the door of my cabin.

More good food followed and we sat down to bisquits and gravy while we discussed the morning plan.

Chad would put Vance and I on stand and get back to take care of his buck. The weather had been rather warm and care of the meat was paramount on his mind.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©