INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Did Mr. Clean bring a dish to Thanksgiving dinner?  (Read 6910 times)

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Did Mr. Clean bring a dish to Thanksgiving dinner?
« on: November 24, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »
Well . . . there is a hunting story from today.  I have never put pics on the site so I am going to figure that out and then . . .

. . . Mr. Clean and I have a story to tell.

Stay tuned.

Ted

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Did Mr. Clean bring a dish to Thanksgiving dinner?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 12:33:00 AM »
O.K. guys, I think I got this picture thing figured out, but it is late and the story I plan to tell will take me some time.  Unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow, so I better get to bed.

. . . but I don't want to leave you folks hanging.  Here is a little teaser about what is to come.

I hope to tell the rest of the story tomorrow.

Ted

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 01:58:00 AM »
Okay I was thinking to myself as I pulled this up. "Ya know I sure like this guy Ted"

Then you go and pull a stunt like that....Grrr  :mad:  

Skip work I gotta know what was bleedin!!
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 02:07:00 AM »
happy thanksgiving Big Time  :bigsmyl:
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline Bama Stan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 07:45:00 AM »
Yahooooooo!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Can't you call in or something?

Stan
"Ain't no shame in miss'n" Smitty after I missed a nice boar at ten yrds.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 08:58:00 AM »
Time to tell the story Ted......  :bigsmyl:

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »
How dare you drag one on like this   :bigsmyl:  

Can't wait to hear it Ted!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 09:06:00 AM »
(Hello again.  I am at work, but nothing is going on so I can tell you some of the story.  But, I will have to do it in parts as I get interrupted at work).

Mr. Clean's influence on this hunt really started Wednesday night.  I had family in town and it was cold and snowing outside.  My brother brought with him a big bottle of rum and I was mighty close to saying "I don't NEED to hunt tomorrow - Heck, the deer won't be moving anyways - I've got meat in the freezer - Amy would prefer me to stick around and help out tomorrow, etc, etc".

But then it happened . .  again . . .just like last Saturday.  I started hearing those voices . . . you know . . . the voices from the belly of the bow.  After Razorbak, Osagetree, Guru, and YLeeCoyote laid out a very persuasive argument, I started to come around.  After the boys on the belly where through calling me 'Sissy', 'Whiney Pants', and 'Ballerina', I acquiesced and told my family I had to go to bed as I had a morning hunt planned with some friends.  

Smelling a rat or possibly her background as a counselor kicked in, she realized something not quite sane might be happening. My wife replied, "Wait a minute, you don't have any friends.  What's going on here?".  I explained "It's a Trad Gang thing, honey".  Her suspicions were confirmed . . . again . . . she married a crazy person.  

More later,

Ted

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 09:13:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:

Offline kcbrown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »
See there, you blew it by telling her you had friends, It would be a dead give away for me too.  "[tunglaff]"
She said " did you see that?" He said "Of course!!!" She said " Why did you step in it then?"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »
LOL this is a novel way of telling a story...I like it   :D
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »
3:15 am . . . the alarm goes off.  I don't hear it. After receiving a sharp poke in the ribs from the victim of some alarm clock collateral damage, I jump out of bed.  As soon as my feet hit the ground, I hear the boys on the belly simultaneously cheer in relief - except for Razorbak - I think he had money down with the other guys on me sleeping through until daylight.

My routine begins.  I think I was about mid-shower when I realized the voices were no longer laughing and poking fun at me.  Nope, the voices were now serious . . . there was talk of wind direction, tree choices, gear checklists (I think I heard YLeeCoyote say something like . . . 'I wonder if he put more peanut butter cups in his bag like last week', followed by a impish snicker.  Osagetree offerred some developmental feedback "um Ted, why don't you leave the grunt tube at home today - we don't need another experience like last week, do we?".  After they sorted out the strategy and I was finished prepping for the day (including reloading my peanut butter cup supply), I got on the road.  

The consensus among the group was that I should take them to the tree we were in last Saturday.  We saw a lot of deer, I didn't really spook anything, and it had rested 4 or 5 days.  After reviewing my journal notes, the boys decided this was my most reliable ambush site and would provide the best chance for Mr. Clean.

I have about an hours drive to the place I was instructed to hunt, so I got on the road.  Not much conversation on the ride over.  I think it was Guru who said, 'just stay awake and focus on the road'.

We arrived at the club I was hunting.  It's a conservation club with a 500 acre farm.  There are about 1000 members, but suprisinly few bowhunt - particularly on Thanksgiving morning after a cold snowy night.  The place does get pressured . . . I treat it like it public land.  I call it semi-private when I am asked about it.  

I got out of the car, got my gear ready and headed into the woods.  The voices were silent, they were working, this was no time for talking.  The moon was bright and the sky was suprisingly clear and we were able to silently sneak into the tree without a light.  We put the treestand on the tree and I started climbing while the boys waited on the ground below.  With no leaves in the trees this time of year I like to go a little higher than normal; I went up about 18 feet.  Mr. Clean and the voices then climbed up the rope I had provided for them and the game was on.  We were in our tree and settled about a half hour before daylight . . . I took a nap and the boys stood guard, promising to wake me if anything was heard sneaking through the crunchy frozen leaves and dusting of snow.

Ted

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »
Ahh, napping in a treestand, glad to see I'm not the only one that does it.....isn't it about time for a morning coffee break from work??

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »
Right you are, David.  I am back from the cafeteria armed with 20 ounces and a turkey sandwich.

So, I slept through one alarm already yesterday morning when my clock radio went off blaring 'Money for Nothing' by the Dire Straights at 3:15 am.  I didn't even think about waking up, until the poke from my wife hit about mid-rib.  BUT, there is a better alarm clock that I use that never fails when I am in my treestand.  That alarm is the footfall of the first squirrel to hit the ground.  It always wakes me up and signals me that it is shooting light, time to stand up and act like a hunter.

When the first squirrel hit the ground, I awoke, and Razorbak said something like 'it's about time, we thought you were going to miss the sunrise'.

Then . . . it was cold . . . by 7:30, I was wishing that I had stayed in bed, by 8 I was wishing I had brought my brother's bottle of rum, by 8:30, I decided I am only sticking this out until 10:00.  No action up to this point other than the squirrels doing their last minute nut shopping and a hawk flying over to see if he could catch any squirrels with their head down.

It was a very pretty morning in the woods.  The sky had clouded up and was mostly overcast and cold looking, but the snow on the tops of the deadfalls cut interesting zig zag contrasting lines through the hollow below my stand.  I love the way snow changes the look of the woods and YLeeCoyote noted, as he was taking it in, that with the snow on the logs, the whole scene looks like a different place than it did last Saturday.

. . . . Well, no time like the present for a miniature Reeses Peanut butter cup, I thought.  As I was reaching for the pocket in my pack that housed the sugar-fix, OsageTree offered some more developmental feedback - good old OsageTree . . . always making me a better hunter.  He said "ummm, Ted.  Before you pull out that shiny foil and start chewing so that you can't hear approaching deer, don't you think it would be prudent to really scope out the trail that the spike came in on last week, so that you are not caught with your hand in the cookie pouch for the second week in a row?'.  Guru and Razorback snorted out a little chuckle and I said "Never gonna live that one down am I, guys?"  YLeeCoyote said "Nope".

I checked the lane and listened, no deer seen, no deer heard.  I looked at Osagetree and he gives me the nod and I proceed to work through about 6 of those suckers.  I was opening them with my teeth because I had my gloves on and Guru told the others that I looked like a big fat tree rat desparetly peeling through a golden acorn like it was the last acorn in the woods.  I then showed him my hunting knife, reminding him that I could probably scratch him off the belly without effecting the tiller too much.  'No more fat jokes, guys', I said to them 'I'm sensitive'.

At some point around this time, I think the thought did occur to me that I am sitting 18 feet up in a tree in freezing weather, seeing no deer, talking to a piece of osage with signatures on it.  Maybe my wife Amy was right . . . maybe I'm not quite . . . what was the word she used . . . ummmm . . . normal.  Oh well.

Guru:  "Did you hear that?"
Osagetree: "I heard it, it was on the other side of the hollow.  Moving fast".
Razorbak: "Definitely not a squirrel, could be a fox, but probably a deer"
Guru: "I see it . . . there are two."
Ted: "Ahhh . . . they're heading down the other hollow.  They'll probably circle back up to the bedding area on the top of the other side of the hollow".
Razorbak: "They're tails were up, looked like something jumped 'em - wonder what was down there . . . didn't look like a buck chasing a doe".
YLeeCoyote: "Stay alert they're could be more".
Osagetree: "I hear something coming this way . . . sounds like more deer . . . get ready".
Guru: "Over there, coming out of the bottom of the hollow . . . one . . . two . . . looks like two are coming".
Razorbak: "Easy Ted . . . think through what your doing.  They'll probably come through the lane on the east side of the tree . . . get ready."

The first one comes directly in, stops directly underneath our perch and the second one stops about 35 yards behind.  We see her through the holes in the stand scanning the direction she just came from.  She starts out again.  Osagetree says "Forget about her, the other one is coming, shift your attention to her".

I do what he tells me.

(ahh man . . . another interruption, just when this is getting good).  More later.

Ted

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 12:07:00 PM »
Lunch time for the kids, then off to help decorate a tree, there'll be more when I get back I suppose....pretty good so far Ted.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 12:11:00 PM »
Great story!!!  :bigsmyl:  I'am getting "buck fever" just reading.  :thumbsup:

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »
When the doe immediately underneath our tree started going again, the doe 35 yards out was soon to follow.  

Guru: "Don't come right underneath the tree"
YleeCoyote: (Excitedly) "turn east, turn east, turn east . . . . she did, she's on the trail".
OsageTree: "You're gonna have to shoot quick, you know the lane she'll be in.  Bend at the waste, cant your bow, point your knuckle just like I've been telling you in the backyard".
Guru: "HERE SHE IS"

Razorbak: "She stopped!!!"

The doe stopped just short of my shooting lane.  Mr. Clean was about to be drawn and she stopped.  These deer were coming from the north.  The first doe had passed by and now was South of me and we were readying for a shot directly east.  

Now, as my lefty brothers know (and remember all of the boys on the belly are lefties), this means I had my back turned on the first doe and thus had know idea where she was.  We guessed that she had stopped about 30 yards south of me, causing doe #2 to lock them up too.

SILENCE - the boys on the belly didn't say anything, I regulated my breathing - wondering why in cold weather deer never seem to pick up on the steam from my breathing - always seems like a lot of movement to ignore.

There she was - 10 yards - broadside - no idea that Mr. Clean and 5 trad gangers where up in a tree waiting for her to take a step.

I heard Guru whisper softly, like he did in the note that accompanied Mr. Clean's new string "Like the Ferret says . . . Get her close and hammer her".

Osagetree (whispering): "Concentrate on her heart . . . Find the single hair you want to cut.  When she takes the step - just like we were doing last night . . . cant, point, release, and see the arrow go where your looking"

The doe just stood there - not quite in my lane.  The only thing between us was a small tree about 12 ft. high.  In the early season, I probably wouldn't even be able to see her where she stood, but the leaves are down now . . . even more so than on last Saturday.

YLeeCoyote:  "I don't like this, she is staying there too long.  She's not going to walk through that lane, she's gonna jump through it. I don't like this".

Ted: "What do you want me to do?  Mr. Clean can't put it through the tree.  I've got no choice but to hope she takes the couple steps I need".

RazorBak (who had been silent for a couple moments, looking on pensively): "Pssst . . . Ted.  What if you leaned off the Southern side of your stand . . . I think you may be able to get around the obstruction . . . you may be able to get the shot".

Guru: "She's not looking your direction, you can get away with the movement if you're silent."

OsageTree: "Remember, what your dad always told you, take the first shot you know you can make . . . don't wait for the perfect shot".

I leaned off the southern edge of my stand.  The doe was none the wiser.  I could lean out to a point where I could see most of her vitals.  The trunk of the obstructing tree drew a line right in front of her front leg with no air in between.  I would have to tuck that arrow pretty close to the tree, but it could be done.

Guru:  "I think it's your best bet".

OsageTree: "Remember the angle we're pretty high up."

YLeeCoyote: "Go for it".

I took a breath . . . said the mantra I have worked out in my backyard to help me shoot Mr. Clean.  "Cant . . . point the knuckle . . . watch it disappear."  I put tension on the string, I canted, I pointed the knuckle . . . the boys on the belly of the bow concentrated hard on that hair, and . . .

. . . the shot was released.

(more later)

Ted

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »
Arrgghhhhh    :banghead:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2005, 03:46:00 PM »
The shot felt good.  We called the shot to be at the bottom of the top third of her body, which is where we wanted it.  It was a little back.  Guru told me before I shot that I had to get that tree out of my mind or I would hit her too far back.  Well, Guru, I guess my internal computer just didn't completely delete that tree out of the shot sequence.

I made Mr. Clean hit her a little bit back, as I said, but not much.  It looked like I was several ribs in from the back, but not as close to the shoulder as I wanted.  The boys thought I probably took off the back of the lungs and probably got some liver in their too.

After the hit, the doe went hard, but only for about 20 yards. Then she slowed to a trot/walk and went over the rise to the North in the direction that she approached from.

The boys and I expected her to fall over - she didn't.  She didn't hunch her back like a gut shot.  I remembered Shaun's post from the other day and made sure to take note of her tail.  It was up and down and up again.  Not exactly 'flicking' like a gut shot and not down either.  We all agreed that I hit her hard and we all were confident that we hadn't miscalled the shot, but with her behavior after the shot, I think all of us were second guessing ourselves.

She disappeared over the rise and I felt pretty confident that I knew where she would head.  I explained the topography to the boys.  I told them that over the rise where we last saw her, there are several trails to the bottom of the hollow.  There is probably water in the litle creek in the bottom.  On the other side of the hollow there is some thick stuff and on the top of that side of the hollow there is a bedding area.  If you follow the hollow all the way out to the North there is a pond - but that is pretty far away. In the bottom of the hollow there are intermittent patches of cover from deafalls and brush.

The boys on the belly went into conference.  They decided to leave me out of this one.  

YLeeCoyote:  "Gosh the shot looked good to me, she can't have gone far.  I bet she's dead right on the other side of the rise."

OsageTree: "The shot did look good, but her reaction is telling me a different story - she's not dead yet".

Guru: "I bet she's going to get into that hollow and lay down in that creek . . . maybe work her way in the direction of this pond Ted is telling us about".

Razorbak: "She could go for that bedding area, but Ted said that hill is pretty steep she may not want to go up it if she's hit as hard as we think".

OsageTree: "Yep and hit deer go for water - I bet the bottom of the hollow is where she's headed."

YLeeCoyote: "Alright, Ted, here's what we're gonna do.  Your going to sit down in that seat and you're going to eat reeses peanut butter cups until their gone.  Then your gonna SLOWLY and QUIETLY get out of this tree, pack your stuff up and get it ready to leave.  Then your going to take us over to the spot of the hit and Osage, Guru, Razor, and I are gonna pull some CSI moves".

. . . I comply with their demands and polish off about twenty minature reeses peanut butter cups . . . and Guru doesn't make any 'fat tree rat' comments this time.

The evidence at the shot site was pretty clear.  The bottom half of the cedar shaft was stuck in the ground.  No sign of the top half.  There was white hair all over the ground and the arrow.  Stomach contents were everywhere and everything smelled like guts.  Without a doubt that arrow went through her stomach.

We figured maybe she was quartering towards us slightly because the shot didn't look like a gut shot.

Osagetree: "I'll tell you what we're going to do next.  We're going to put an arrow on Mr. Clean we're going to trail her to the top of the rise where we last saw her and get a sense for this bloodtrail."

Guru: "Ted, it is critical that you are quiet - treat this like you are still hunting - the wind is right."

She was bleeding pretty good.  There were nickle sized drops every few inches and sometimes several nickle sized drops.  The blood trail was easy to follow.  

When we got to the top of the rise, we pulled out the cheapo WalMart binocs and glassed into the hollow for awhile.  No sign of her.

We took the trail a little further to make sure she was headed for the hollow bottom.  She was.  When we got to the next good vantage point where we could see a lot of the hollow, we sat down.  At this point, we estimated we had taken the trail about 60-70 yards.  We were a bit more than an hour after the shot.

The boys on the belly decided we needed another conference.  I was instructed to glass the hollow while the boys contemplated our next move.

OsageTree: "This is simple . . . When in doubt, back out".

YLeeCoyote: "Yeah, but the shot looked good, she couldn't have gone far".

Razorbak: "I agree YLee, this deer isn't going to go far, but she might not be dead yet, we have to give her time."

Guru: "Guys, I don't mean to be practical here, but remember it is Thanksgiving and if this guy stays out in the woods all day, he is a dead man.  His wife will end it."

OsageTree (who seemed to have assumed a leadership role in this little conclave): "My mind is made up, here is what we are doing.  First, we are getting the heck out of here.  It's cold and it's thanksgiving; there is no one in these woods to push her, it can't hurt to wait.  We're going to have him drive home - appease the family by doing whatever Thanksgiving dinner chores need to be done and then we will come back at 3pm."

Guru: "I agree, this will give this deer 6 hours to die from the time of the shot. We will have two hours of daylight to find her AND he can get his camera and finally start taking some pictures of these goings on."

With that, we backed out - Razorbak reassuringly said "Don't worry Ted we're gonna get this one."

The next few hours were spent feigning interest in the mundane Thanksgiving feast preparation.  My non-hunting, rum drinking brother was doing most of the cooking.  The errands I chose were things like sharpening the carving knives, fixing a hole in the fence that the dogs were working on, I made a run to the store for celery because my brother couldn't bear the thought of stuffing without celery.  I was as bored with this drudgery at the time as you are reading it now, but I had to do it and it kept my mind off of what I wanted to do.

When the time came I left the house and we were on my last blood by 3:00 just as OsageTree requested.

And I had my camera with me.  

I will tell the rest of the story later as I am at work and the rest of the story is supplemented with pictures that I can only upload from home.  I will probably not get back to it until around 10 or 11.  

By the way - can anyone tell I am having a slow day at work?  This is a lot of fun for me, I hope you guys are enjoying it.

Ted

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »
ok It's later already  :campfire:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©