INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: HUGE BULL ELK WITH A LONGBOW!  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
HUGE BULL ELK WITH A LONGBOW!
« on: September 29, 2005, 02:33:00 PM »
Congratulations are in order for Steve Osminski. Steve just returned from Arizona where he took a huge 6x6 with his 53# Super Shrew Longbow. Steve was using 35-55 GT carbons with 250gr Wensel Woodsman broadheads up front.

Note the glazed look in Steves eyes in the picture    ;)    

Congratulations Steve, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HUGE BULL ELK WITH A LONGBOW!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »
WOW super elk!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 02:44:00 PM »
Yeah Ron! What was the weight of that 53# Super Shrew he was shooting?  :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
Way to Go!!!

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »
Super bull...Congrats Steve   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 02:55:00 PM »
That's one big hoss right there. Very nice Steve!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »
I forgot to mention that Steve is from Michigan and he is quite an accomplished hunter. Having said that, this is his first big game animal taken with a stick bow. Steve felt very fortunate to draw a tag for Arizona and he was considering hunting with a compound. A friend talked him out of it and fortunatly for Steve(and his friend) everything worked out for the best.    :bigsmyl:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 03:23:00 PM »
I see I am a little late with my story  :D  

I sent out a little note to my friends this morning and have been trying to catch up on all the work I have missed for the past two weeks.

I did manage to set up a Photobucket account, so we will see how that works.

First off, everything you have heard or read about AZ is true.  IF you can draw an archery tag, in  any unit, I think you are going to have an experience you will not forget.  My buddy and I actually saw and judged 36 bull elk in our 2 days of scouting and 12 days of hunting.  27 of those would have made P&Y!  We had probably an equal number of encounters with bulls we could not see due to cover.  It was an amazing experience.  The bulls were very vocal, but did not really come in to our calls.  We did a lot of stalking and ambushing by talking with and listening to them.

Here is a nice rub.  I am pointing to branches that are broken out of my reach.  I am 6'-1".  The bulls were rubbing on trees the size of my thigh and snapping pines thicker than my wrist.  

My gear: 53# Super Shrew Chameleon with bamboo limbs and elk antler tips from a shed I found on my last trip to AZ (good karma).  This bow has the Bevel-Lok takedown system and is a dream to travel with.  Gold Tip 35/55 XT with 250g Wensel Woodsman.  They weighed 550g total.  I love that CatQuiver fanny pack, but if anyone wants to trade the Mini Quiver itself that attaches to it for a Great Northern bow quiver, give me a PM.

My bull.  He is everything I ever dreamed of.  The pictures really don't do him justice as I am not a big fan of the Chuck Adams pose (standing behind with outstreched arms)  ;)  .  I cannot get my hands around the main beam until after the last point.  He is a mature bull elk and that is all I really ever hoped for.  The taxidermist scored him at 363" gross and 352" net and his main beams are just a smidge under 55".

I hope these pics work so I can share with my "friends" here.  This is a wonderful place and I missed checking in to see what I could learn while I was gone.

Offline WaKeDa BT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 03:26:00 PM »
Great bull, congrats!!!!
"Shoot'em when they ain't lookin"

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
A big congratulations. Can't beat those Super Shrews.

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
Awesome!
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »
It sure don't get any better than that - Way to go Steve!    :scared:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Oregon Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
Steve: That is indeed a wonderful bull. What unit were you hunting in and what elevation? What kind of temperatures did you encounter?

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 03:42:00 PM »
Steve, congratulations on a really great bull!!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »
Sorry Steve if I stole any of your thunder. I didn't know when or if you were going to be able to post any pictures so I took the liberty of starting the thread and putting up a picture. I'm leaving in the morning for the Michigan opener and I wanted everyone to know about your success.   :thumbsup:

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »
Bill,

I can't give out the specific unit, but I will say it was in the White Mountains and the elevation was 7-8000 ft.  Temps were 40s in the am and 80s in the pm.  There are a half dozen units surrounding the Indian Reservation and they are all good.  Actually, ALL the units out there are good!  I was talking with a fellow at Compton this year that took a bull that would make mine look like a raghorn and he was out by Flagstaff.

Joe,

Up close and personal???  I don't think I mentioned the shot distance, but since you mentioned it, it was LESS than 10 FEET.  It is funny, but as everything went into slow moting as I was shooting, I swear I heard Gene Wensel saying; "Heck, I'm a pretty good shot at 10 feet"   :saywhat:

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »
Congrats , very nice animal :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005, 04:06:00 PM »
Ron,

No problem, I'm just glad I saw your post before I made another.  It did not dawn on me that post would have been about me, I was looking forward to seeing who shot the monster elk.

For those of you who do not know, Ron was the friend that helped me over my compound "devil".  I got rid of my compounds 3 years ago, and due to me drawing some pretty nice rifle tags out west, I have not had much time hunting at home with my Shrews.  To make a long story short, my confidence was in the tubes and in a weak moment I bought a new compound.  I shot it occasionally and could hit at 60 yds what I do at 20 with my stickbows.  I spent some sleepless nights after drawing this tag but after talking to Ron with his experience and just the right amount of shame   :notworthy:   thrown in for stewing, I was back on the right track.  I sold that bow for a nice loss and chalked it up to experience.  From the time I saw the bull to the time my arrow was in him was less than 3 seconds and I could have NEVER done that with ANY other bow than one of my Super Shrews.

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2005, 04:18:00 PM »
Congats on a great bull.

Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2005, 04:19:00 PM »
Great animal! Congrats on the trad kill  :thumbsup:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©