INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: (Final Thankyou!!!)Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt(2007)  (Read 88092 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: (Final Thankyou!!!)Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt(2007)
« Reply #1200 on: February 17, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
Well, I just got back from day 1 of the bunny hunt, and I gotta say, I've never had such a good time in my life. I won't give all the specs of the days hunt, but I will say that 5 bunnies were added to the day's bag.
To all the folks still waiting to hunt tommarrow, good luck, bust some bunnies, and thank you...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1201 on: February 17, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
What a fantastic day we had today! My two sons and I had a great day together in some beautiful weather and among some of the greatest folks on earth. Shawn worked his tail off and everything went off without a hitch. Thank you to Shawn, his daughter, David K., Guru, Ishi, and everyone else who put in so much work. We burned some serious calories, but I think I was still able to maintain my figure! The food was amazing! It was great meeting everyone! Have a great hunt tomorrow. My legs won't miss the 20+" of snow we slogged through all day. I'm sure Shawn will chime in with all the vital statistics of the hunt.

Thanks again everyone! I was proud to have my boys with you all day!

Offline Swiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1202 on: February 18, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
PICS!!! PICS!!!

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1203 on: February 18, 2007, 12:18:00 AM »
Just got in also. A great day, great people, & all for a great cause!  :thumbsup:  

Thanks Shawn, Curt, Jamie, & everyone else who put this together. A very special thanks to Shawn's daughter for all her work keeping the food hot & ready every time the starving horde got into the house.  :clapper:

Greg & Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1204 on: February 18, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
C'mon Guys!!!!!!!!!! I gotta get to bed.....I gotta get up EARLY in the morning!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1205 on: February 18, 2007, 03:31:00 AM »
Im getting the itch to lose a few arrows at some bunnys of my own now.

Good luck on the second day boys!
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1206 on: February 18, 2007, 06:12:00 AM »
BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :bigsmyl:

I'm throwin' the "Junk in the Trunk" and we're on our way!!!!!   :archer:    :archer:

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1207 on: February 18, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
Thanks Chuck,  

I wanted to list the pics on this post only to show the gang attending that this was available and in no way showcasing it...there are so many more beautiful crafted items for prizes that are already there and since this did'nt make it to the table this weekend, at the last minute, I wanted to let you all know who is going to be there, to see what it looks like of what they will be getting as far as spec's etc...and to explain my fault in the delay.

Just happy to hear of the fun everyone is having and feeling the same as Ken....darn snow!LOL
Enjoy the fun and please post pics of your day!!!!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1208 on: February 18, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
Got back last night and what a time it was.Got to meet some awsome folks, see some sweet bows and spend the whole day with Noah, my 6 year old.He put in 9 hours and we woulda stayed longer but had to pick up the baby.We both enjoyed meeting everyone and if the snow wasnt up to the little guys waist we would have been out for the whole hunt, maybe next year.I got a good pic of a couple dozen bow toting pumpkins watching a hedge row as I was driving out.Ill post it when the get together is over.Again, good to meet you all.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1209 on: February 18, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
It was good to meet so many great people.Enjoyed the whole thing and wish I could of stuck around for dayII, but had obligations.Can't thank the Leonard family,and everyone else who puts this together,enough for all your hard work.You folks really make this thing an "Event."Go get them bunnys!  :thumbsup:

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1210 on: February 18, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
Just got back home myself, what a great time, this was my third year and it just gets better every year for us and the kids at St.Judes(i'll let Shawn fill in that part !!!!).
A couple people to thank:, Brian, thanks for the ride bro, I really appreciate it !!, second I would like to say a little bit about Shawn and his family, (words cannot really express how thankful I am to be able to be part of this event),Shawn, as always you went above and beyond to make sure this hunt went off with out a hitch, and your family is truly a treasure to know, and a VERY special thanks to Allison for all her help in the kitchen and making sure all the food was hot and ready to go for this group of motley hunters and huntress !!!!, it's going to be a looong year till next time my friend !!    :thumbsup:      :campfire:         :clapper:      :clapper:  
I also want to thank Kieth Deters for donating his static tip osage recurve, that was featured in the Bowyers Journal for the Dean Torges bow challege, that I was extremely lucky to win in the raffle, thanks everyone !!!!

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1211 on: February 18, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Man I just want to see some pix of team pink in the field.. That was great. I'm still laughing with you Skip..THINK PINK.....Mike I hope you had your PINK PIMP HAT on out there today. I think next year we should do HOT PINK and get away from that blaze orange. I think the public would think a little better of us if we where in PINK..In fact if the State was to pass a law on a safety color for hunting I think this should be it..Just remember it all started here...

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1212 on: February 18, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
That whole "Team Pink" thing was great, wasn't it? Sure gave me a good laugh...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1213 on: February 18, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
We need PICS !!!!!!!
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1214 on: February 18, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
We need PICS !!!!!!!  :banghead:    :)    :)    :)
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1215 on: February 18, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Well folks it was incredible. I would first like to Thank my Mom Joan Leonard who passed away 2 years ago this coming May. If she did not allow this group of hunters to use her home this would not of been possibe. There will be a final Thankyou later but now to the hunt. As said above we had taken 5 bunnies on the first day of the hunt and we had our raffle which was incredible. The 5 bunnies would of been a new record for our hunt but we blew it away, all totaled we killed 16 bunnies, unbelievable!!!! The next unbelievable thing is what all the great people who attended this hunt did. We as a group raised $2025 for the St. Judes Childrens Hospital, which will be donated in my Mom's name!!! Thanks to everyone!!! There is so many things to write and tell about and I will have  a ton of stories, but two stand out in my mind. First Ru a 14 year old young man and I mean man not kid anymore. He makes incredible knives and he is absolutely one of the best hunters out there. I am proud to call him my friend. The next is Joe, his Dad is Stoneknife, here is a guy who is only 6 or 8 years old, tops, sorry I do not know his exact age. This little guy kept up with us thru 22"s of snow and drifts that were well over his head, he outlasted alot of the older guys. I am honestly in awe that he did so well, and of course he won a nice bow at the raffle. Pics. to follow I am sure. That is it for now except to say 16 bunnies and $2025 for the kids!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1216 on: February 18, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
Shawn and Fam out did themselves once again...all involved (hosts and participants) made another can't/don't/won't miss time.

Shawn, your fam and who ever gets there Friday or before we all get there to setup, help Shawn, etc (you know who you are)....   :clapper:  

Only 364 days to go  ;)

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1217 on: February 18, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
16!?!?!?!  AWESOME!!!

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1218 on: February 18, 2007, 07:48:00 PM »
16 bunnies??? now you're talkin'!!! oooooh yeaaaaah!!! keep it coming for us, folks, we're salivatin'ready!!

Alex
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1219 on: February 18, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
Just got back this afternoon.
I just want to first say thank you to Shawn and his entire family for the hospitality they showed all of us.   :clapper:  
This was the most difficult hunting I have ever experienced.  We had an absolute Blast...        Some guys came out looking like that Scissor Hand guy in the movies after he tried to shave himself.    :clapper:  

Over 5 hours of non-stop bunny busting drives in an average of at least 15" of snow and at times at my waist.

There were some statements made that will live on forever.
One was "Look out for the planes as they land, just jump off the runway into the snow bank when you see them:..LMAO.

There were 3 people who impressed me the most.

Shawn is a well-conditioned hunter who is built more like a Linebacker who just blasts thru the snow and brush. Always taking the lead pushing those who tried to veer away from the brush into it along with himself. He knows where the Bunnies hide….He made this experience one that was well planned and executed to every ones satisfaction.  The clearing for parking, the 3-D targets, the shooting plywood bunny disc, oh and let’s not forget the Port-o-John.

Guru who always took the lead opposite Shawn breaking a path in the snow to make it easier for the rest of us. Anytime the line of orange (hunters that is) slacked he ran up to breakup and clear the path of snow. At times it was like a flock of birds who fly in a "V" formation where the ones upfront make it easier for the older ones in the back. Which is where I usually wound up. His shooting ability was just as fierce as his leadership (Let me know if ya going to sell ya bow)  A perfect point and shooter.

The third was Stone Knive Jim’s 10 year old son Joe. This little Giant of a young man kept up with everyone all daylong. He was always ready to aim with his bow with an arrow knocked.  His father has much to very proud of as Joe will keep this sport alive in many years to come after we  are all gone.

Thank you again for allowing me to be apart. Jim

More stories, infamous statements and pictures to follow>>>>
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©