INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: (Final Thankyou!!!)Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt(2007)  (Read 87795 times)

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: (Final Thankyou!!!)Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt(2007)
« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
Huntrdfk,

I'll bring the ice and at least one main dish.

Jim
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
Got it Jim, thanks.  Gonna have to watch Mr Leonard this year, those pie are going to be a hot item.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
I'm getting some more practice in, had three shots at bunnies today. Are you guys sure they can be had with a longbow   :knothead:  They seem like they don't cooperate to well. >>>------>    :jumper:    The more i go after them the more I'm getting psyched up for this hunt.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
Stone Knife made another good point!...It's kinda tough hunting rabbits with a bow...So I Have This GREAT Idea!... :) ...Maybe we all should walk BACKWARDS through the brush...This way the little "Commie Pincko #&*@^*#'en Bunnies" will think we've passed them already and when they come out of the cover we can...Turn them into stew!!!... :rolleyes: ...

Any Body Else Have A Good Plan?...And don't tell me to stay home that weekend!... :p :...

>>-----> mike <-----<<

PS...Glad to have you aboard Stone Knife...Looking foward to meeting you and the little guy... :) ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
First off it would be great to have Alex play us to sleep, but I will have more than a few in me!! We also need one or two more main dishes. We have stores real close, so we can always send Nicole or Cindy for food and drink, if need be!! I got my truck and again none of you dirty bunny hunters is riding in it!!  :scared:  Fran, Moe's pie was good we ate it after everyone was gone with a nice hot cup of tea.(My second favorite drink)I cannot wait for this thing to get here. We have snow coming Monday and I will be out in the afternoon chasing bunnies with my KS and a whole quiver full of arrows!!! You guys are great peoples!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Online 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
Shawn thats it no ride in the new truck I'm staying home  :(  LOL  snow sounds good but not to soon we want it to last.Hows that KS treating you? Can't wait till this gets here  :thumbsup:
Put some air under it.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
I too wondered where Moe's pie went too. Pie is my weak spot and I was so looking forward to it after Saturday's hunt. I thought she had forgotten it !!!!!!!!!!!
Swampbuck , BBassi and I are taking Sonny out tommorrow to chase some bunnies. By the time this hunt comes those rabbits won't stand a chance !
LMAO
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Ed, I have two Kwyk Styks now, same exact bows exact for #age. One is 48#s and one 63#s. I actually hunted with the lighter one more this year. I killed a nice coyote with the lighter bow. I was thinking if anybody has a call and wants to go out after dark(weather permitting) ya can bring it and we could try and call one up. I have a agreat light for doing it. It is only one month away and ya know time flies when ya are having fun! OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
This does sound like a good time....still cant believe it is over a month away. I have been practicing a bit, and not doing too bad.
Shawn, I have a fletching jig now, and I am working on a spine tester. Whenever you and Damon want to get together should be ok with me. Im sure your experience would save me a lot of time and a lot of arrow building supplies.
Any self bowyers out there, I will take any advice you want give. I just started a hickory stave today, so hurry up before I butcher it.   :help:  
Looking forward to meeting everyone...
I will be out there if I get snow this far south...ah, I will be out tehre anyway.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2007, 09:00:00 PM »
Hey Shawn, are Hope and Faith or both gonna be there that weekend? I think I read something to that effect somewhere. All I really care about is: is the LH bow going to be there??   :D
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
Yotes at night ! I'm in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jamie, Do you have a draw knife ? I bought one at a garage sale you can have if you want it.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Keith Deters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by ishiwannabe:
Any self bowyers out there, I will take any advice you want give. I just started a hickory stave today, so hurry up before I butcher it.    :help:  
Gotta give us more then that Jamie.  What do you need help with?  Is your wood dry?  Bring what you have done along with you, we'll be able to set you straight.  If you need to have a bow ready for the hunt, start a new thread and you'll get all the help you need.

Aram,  I'll have that bow with me.  Might not leave with me though   ;)   ....Keep an eye on that table.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: January 13, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Yes Wapiti, I have a draw knife, thanks for the offer though. I am pretty sure I have all the hand tools I need. My main question is regarding knots on the back of the bow. Do you leave them alone completely, or can you work them? Or does it totally depend on the wood. The last one I attempted(my first attempt) had a knot in the upper limb which cracked. It was not hickory like the one I have now. The wood is dry, been down for almost a year and inside for about a month and a half with ends sealed.
I have three recurves and a longbow...they were all my Dad's. I just want to learn how to do this....be prepared I will be full of questins at the bunnie hunt. For now, I am reading all I can get and winging it. Thanks for the quick replies guys...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Keith Deters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: January 13, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
For your first bow, choose a stave without knots.  It might seem like a good idea to start with a so-so stave, to save the good stuff for when you have experience, but it's best to start with the good stuff right off the bat.

Knots have to be brought to the same growth ring as the rest of the stave.  This will normally leave a lump where they are.  Don't flatten them.

.......back to your normal program, already in progress.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: January 13, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
The Temperature's DROPPING!!!!!!!!!!    :bigsmyl:

I'm Dancin'!!!!! I'm Dancin'!!!!! I'm Dancin'!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: January 14, 2007, 05:51:00 AM »
Yes Alex, Faith is going to be there along with her sister.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: January 14, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »
Ok everyone, I'm missing something here.....our fearless leader, yep that's you Shawn, gets a brand spankin' new huntin' truck and he tells us we can't use it?  I'm thinking that this is the perfect opportunity to break this truck in, after all, it's just a tool to get us to our goal, isn't it?  Which of course, would be BUNNIES!  What better test of this truck's abilities can there be than to let 40, clean, professional bowhunters put it through it's paces to see if it "makes the grade"......I love ya Shawn.....  :bigsmyl:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: January 14, 2007, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks Keith, I will give it a whirl. I do have a better stave to work on, I was saving it, but it makes sense.
Plans for the Bunnie Bow-ship:
I think if we all brought some lumber, we could build a platform of sorts on the back of said truck. Elevated shooting position....we could literally DRIVE the bunnies out into the open, and we would all be thorn free....I mean thats a test for a truck.  :thumbsup:  
Woke up to a coating of ice everywhere. It is starting to feel like winter may show afterall....
                         -Jamie

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: January 14, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Jamie is right, winter is coming and lets hope it lasts. Hope and Faith will be here and I am making arrows to shot off of the bows. We will take turns carrying them and shooting them and than donate the arrows to the raffle as kind of a momento. It sounds like 3-4 bowss for the table and a seperate raffle for the Chek-mate that was Donated by Chad and all the good people at Chek-Mate!! A Keith Deters bow on the table, I may have to fix the raffle to get that one!(LOL!!) Shaping up real nice and the weather is coming, I cannot wait to see old friends and meet some new ones!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: January 14, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Shawn, remember, I just got a large number of shafts...If ya might need any for Hope and Faith, let me know ok? These shafts were given to me at a bow shop as one bundle. Until I am done with my spine tester, thats all I know about em.
Where is Damon anyway....he is the one who got me started with this awesome craziness.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©