INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: (Final Thankyou!!!)Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt(2007)  (Read 88318 times)

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: (Final Thankyou!!!)Joan Leonard Memorial Bunny Hunt(2007)
« Reply #460 on: January 21, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
Happy Birthday Damon !!
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #461 on: January 21, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
First...Happy Birthday Damon!!!

Next....Guess someone who uses their hat in lew of TP was never a boy scout!!!...Glad I didn't have to ride in the truck with him on the way home... :eek: ...Did it kinda make you home sick bud?...Or was "it" frozen till the end of the trip?... :biglaugh: ...

This Bunny Adventure Is Gonna Be Great!!! I don't even give a hoot about getting a rabbit...Just want to be with all you people laughing my (kinda broken) butt off!

>>-----> mike <-----<<

PS...Please DON'T bring that hat with you... :D ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #462 on: January 21, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
Just a reminder and if I forgot anything, Shawn can add to this....Hunt Rules are NO BROADHEADS allowed. Not even dull Bodkin or MA3 Sytle heads.

Acceptable: Judos, Magnus Small Game, Tiger Claws, Nutters, Bludgeons, HTH Rubber blunts, Field pts used in conjunction with Scorpios and any homemade head resembling the above.

Again....A BLAZE ORANGE VEST is MANDATORY. We have been fortunate in the past that no accidents have occured...except the normal bleeding from cuts going through briars and guys getting "caught in the wrong place" when straddling over a barbed wire fence. Lets keep this hunt as safe as possible.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #463 on: January 21, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
Happy Birthday Damon....man you are getting old! LMAO. I was yelled at today....apparently my wife thinks I cant go a day without talking about archery or the bunny hunt...Im starting to worry....she just glares at me and shakes her head.  :confused:  
Havent been out today for parctice....yet.
Recurver...if ya need any help in your pursuit of the white one...I have always wanted to go after em...  :D  
OK a tech question....regular field points ok? If not I may need to change my order...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #464 on: January 21, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
To add to Joe's post.....HIGHLY SUGGESTED.....

A Bow Quiver.....

Now,Like Joe,I am a Die-Hard BackQuiver Man!!!!!

However.....Before I attended my first Bunny Hunt a few years ago,Mr Skipp (and a few others) suggested that I use a BowQuiver because I would end up loosing arrows crawling through the THICK "STUFF".

Trust me My Friends anyone who has attended before will tell you,The Thickets are THICKER.....and the Tangles are more TANGLED than anything you have ever seen!!!!!   :scared:    :eek:    :scared:  Sometimes you will be so tangled you will NOT be able to move,and many times you will be crawling on your hands and knees!!!!! As for running out of arrows.....most times if your pushing,you or one of the other drivers can collect your arrows on the way through.If you're a stander most times one of the pusher can get your arrows if you point out about where they are. UNFORTUNATLY BROKEN ARROWS  ARE ANOTHER STORY    :(

If all you have is a BackQuiver then bring it and use it!!!!! We wouldn't want anyone "staying home" just because they weren't "prepared" LOL.We'll just have to have a couple "arrow picker-uppers" follow behind you guys   :archer:

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #465 on: January 21, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
I HAVE ANOTHER GREAT IDEA!!!... :D ...I'm gonna bring my DR Brush Mower and walk behind it so thorns will not get stuck in places that will cause my voice to raise too high!... :jumper: ...

>>-----> mike <-----<<

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #466 on: January 21, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Ahhh, it's not that thick in there, heck we haven't even lost anyone yet....  :scared:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #467 on: January 21, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Joe, has it right. We are pretty safe group anyway but just to be safe. I havea bunch of the plastic type, but they do not hold up well. An Orange hat will do also or best yet is an orange sweat shirt. Even if it is real cold 0-15 degrees ya do not want to dress too warm. I wear a union suit and my brush pants one sweat shirt and my Carhart Sweatshirt over the mess, not a coat or jacket and even with wind chills below zero, I do not get cold. Regular field points are OK but not great bunny killers, Jamie(Wannabe) go get some big wing nuts that will screw on to the shaft and sharpen with a file or bench grinder, they are a lot cheaper than field points too. Joe, Brian is test driving it, I have not decided to sell it, wait until he shoots a carbonwood 2000 off of it with 175 up front. It is only 8gpp, but man is it quiet and flat out smokes(200fps. at 28"s) I am thinking he can keep and shoot mine until the one he is gonna order is here. I am heading to Damons for his B-Day party in about an hour. He is gettin' old(31)but it is nice to have him around as he is gonna start dragging all my deer for me!(LOL!) One last thing if anyone has a folding table or two that they can bring without a hassle, please do so. I may not need them but it won't hurt. I cannot believe it is almost here, I have one thing to say about that->>>-----> OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline recurver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #468 on: January 21, 2007, 05:23:00 PM »
Ok went out this afternoon. The dog ran 4. Only had shots at two running, missed both. One hare was a hog, big buck male. I didn't miss him by much though, might even of got hair but being white, none on the arrow tuff to find in the snow. My dog was tired, snows run long long loops, and do not hole they just out run him.

Ishi: Sure I will keep you in mind, can always use another shooter. You will want to use hex heads. Hares are tougher than cotton tail. Thats if you hit them of course.

Bryan

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #469 on: January 21, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
I can shoot....don't know about hitting anything yet though....lol.Im practicing...
Shawn, I have two card tables I can bring, unless you are looking for something a bit larger.I also have a bunch of medium sized coolers, and two or three larger. Will the two be enough or should I bring a few extra?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #470 on: January 21, 2007, 06:06:00 PM »
Shawn,
My 10 year old son has been riding me pretty hard about going to the bunny hunt. would this be permitted, if so i will probably drive my vehicle instead of riding and stay at a hotel i think it would be easier that way. Is the hotel that was on an earlier post in Glenmont close to you. Also he is not old enough to hunt but could he bring his bow along to shoot at the warm up? Let me know what you think, post it or pm me if you like. Thanks
                 Jim
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #471 on: January 21, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
By the way can you hunt both days?
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Mark Fedrizzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #472 on: January 21, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
Stone I think the motel we are staying at is 6-7 miles from Shawn's parents--mention my name and they may give you the discount of $75.00..we have 4 rooms reserved..ph#518-465-8811  Comfort Inn
Keep Em' In The Kill Zone

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #473 on: January 21, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
As formal/organized as this hunt is ("seems" made it appear as though there wasn't a tremendous amount of thought and planning...obviously incorrect), it is the most laid back bunch of hunt your a$$ off guys (edited to be more pc...we do get some ladies) you'll meet...if your little guy has a bow, bring him along, if he doesn't, I'll give him one.

For your second question I'll come back atcha with one...is the season open???

If you stay at our hotel, please know that our group likes to be washed for bed and saying our prayers by 7:45p.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #474 on: January 21, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
In bed by 7:45 except Mikey C...he usually hits the sack at 8:30 after he finishes rubbing out all the leg cramps from Woodonly...   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #475 on: January 21, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
Oh, are we gonna have some fun!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #476 on: January 21, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
....."Why We Miss"....."but guys, that wabbit was way too fast..."

"Joe, that wabbit was so close that I forgot to bend at the waist..."

"My leg cramps made me flinch...."

This is going to be fun, you guys think that we ought to make a rule for the weekend?........

No Laughing?

:readit:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #477 on: January 21, 2007, 09:15:00 PM »
I HAVE ANOTHER GREAT IDEA!!!...David, please bring all the hand-cuffs you can muster up...And when Joe is fast asleep...Well...You get the picture...You can bet this is gonna be FUN!!!...Anybody wanna be first?... :bigsmyl: ...

.....mike..... :p

Offline Mark Fedrizzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #478 on: January 21, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »
Ciccone--as soon as you fall asleep--WE ARE LOCKING YOUR DOOR FROM THE OUSTSIDE.....

Keep Em' In The Kill Zone

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #479 on: January 21, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
MAN You guys are a BRUTAL Bunch!!!!! I'm glad that I'm coming up Sunday morning after all of the "shinnannagins" are over   :rolleyes:    ;)

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©