INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I know I just killed the best buck of my lifetime. (Final details)  (Read 12166 times)

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: I know I just killed the best buck of my lifetime. (Final details)
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
IZZAT WOODY'S BROTHER??????? Nice Deer!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2005, 05:31:00 PM »
One more thing, Chad could probably be on David Letterman for his deer bleat that he does with just his mouth.  It kinda sounds like a devil-deer it sounds so realistic it makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »
Chad,
         It's nice to see someone succeed that's obviously dedicated. I've worked hard for all of my accomplishments and realize the effort that goes into success.  My had is off to you.

Well done,
                                   Pat Byrne

Offline Jim Reamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2005, 07:32:00 PM »
Wow! What a Great Buck! He's got it all! Congratulations Chad!    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:  

God Bless!

Jim

Offline Timo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »
I've seen such deer in my dreams...but that's about it!

Man,what a super deer!

(Chad, you actually talk to Stevey on the phone)?  :D
(Enny o yuns know ware thu heart o a stumpytail izz??)

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »
Very nice deer Chad, Congrats!!!!!!
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline Mike Tomano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2005, 09:59:00 PM »
SaaaaaMMMOOOOOKKKKIIINNNNN!!!!

What a monster! Way to go, bro!

TOMANO
"If you're not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it." - Fred Bear

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
Congratulations on a real HAWG!  Don't it feel grand?

Now, here's the deal...Next year, you have to get a bigger one!

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »
Wow, you guys can sure humble a person. Thanks for all the positive replies I appreciate all of them.

Well, I’ve been one to talk a bit but I’ll try to keep this short, but it won’t happen.

I was hunting a good funnel area that in previous years held good bucks. Bucks that I would see one day and most likely never again due to the nature of this place.

Not long ago, I had a chance at another huge buck in this very same place, but no matter how I tried, I just couldn’t get a good shot at him. Now I was back and it was a new year.

I hung a stand where that big one a few years ago slipped by. There was a faint trail running down the middle of this place, but that buck was still haunting me and I decided to setup where that unforgettable morning took place.

The first night I had two small bucks walk by at about 30 yds. I let them walk and began to wonder if I should shift. The next morning back in the same stand I had a small buck walk right through my setup and felt I was in the right spot.

About an hour later I had a doe and a young buck travel the same zone as the bucks the night before had walked and decided to move. I moved back 40 yds, and in 20 yds for what would be a solid 20 yd shot.

I decided not to hunt that evening and really wanted to find some private ground. I swear I knocked on every farmers door in the unit I was hunting.

I finally got permission on some very nice property and decided to take a walk around the perimeter of the place trying to judge where the deer were coming and going. As I walked to one place on a fence row, I jumped a huge 4x4. The buck ran right down a strip of trees and after looking the place over, I felt great about the next night to come.

I got up that morning and hunted my public ground spot. It was opening day of duck season but I still had high hopes. The new setup was excellent. You know the type, the one you can sit in all day and not see a thing but still have that slight tension on the string because you know it “IS” going to happen. There was that feeling, little did I know it would come so soon, and so fast.

Well It didn’t! At about 7 o’clock I heard a deer go through the slough, followed by another. It was a buck chasing does. I grunted, the splashing stopped. I stood up, got ready and again I could hear the water splashing as deer were running through. They were heading away and all was quiet. I asked myself should I rattle? I decided against it, and let out a doe sound followed by a grunting buck. The water started splashing, I had tension on ths string, drew one time and got ready. I looked at my sleeves and all was tight. String slap wouldn’t be a problem. The string on my fingers felt good, seated perfectly in my shooting glove.  I heard the big cotton wood leaves crunching, like two children playing in the woods but these sounds were not from children. It was that magical sound that we hope to hear during those two special weeks in the  November woods. The sounds stopped, and then started going away, I grunted, and grunted one more time. What I got back nearly floored me out of the tree.............................

It was the best “human” duck call one could ask for and I guess I was the “Duck” First named Daffy! As I sat down, I felt angry, but soon got over it. I felt like the guy who got cow called in during an elk hunt. Later I heard the deer running, but this time they appeared. One was yellow, the other black. I’ll let you figure out the species. It was time to go to the private land.

It was mid afternoon and I was ready. I walked to the trees with the wind blowing hard in my face. When I was about 20 yds from the trees I was  sneaking into, I noticed a guy heading across the field at me in a pretty fast walk. I figured I should wait and see what he had to say. As he approached I noticed he was carrying a bow and he was a little upset. He started to ask me questions in a pretty loud manner and I told him to calm down, the deer were not far from us and just take it easy. He asked If I had permission to hunt there, and I told him I did. He then got upset and told me he had a spot just up the tree line and this was his last night to hunt. I told him not to worry, if he had a spot set, I’d let him hunt it and stay clear. As I left, I said isn’t it funny how we both selected pretty much the same spot? He agreed, and that was the last I saw of him.

As I walked out of the field, my spirits were pretty low. I’d been sleeping in my truck for three days and now this? I was ready to call it quits, and go see the kids.

I called my wife and told her I was going to sit till dark and that I’d be home by 9 so we could spend Sunday together prior to me going back to work .

It never happened, this night would be like no other...................
How I love Colorado!

Offline Dan Reeves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »
Super congrats on a super buck!!!

But I just read this and now "the rest of the story"

PLEASE

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »
Thats a dandy.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »
Ya but just think what he would have been like NEXT YEAR!!   :D  

UFF-DA! now thats a buck!!

congrats!!
BR
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2005, 01:50:00 AM »
I'm excited to read the rest of the tale and I've already heard the rest of the tale!  Come on man!

Offline wlmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2005, 02:53:00 AM »
Don't leave me hanging.  :confused:

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2005, 06:42:00 AM »
Incredible amazing buck, but your story shows us how to keep going when road blocks keep popping up.  Can't wait to hear the rest...Way to go!
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2005, 06:58:00 AM »
Wow..Chad...this is good stuff!!! Looking forward to the rest.........
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2005, 08:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Wow..Chad...this is good stuff!!! Looking forward to the rest.........
Ditto that!  :bigsmyl:

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2005, 08:41:00 AM »
Very impressive deer, congrats.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »
Ten hours later and no update?  Oh the humanity!

Those customers can wait Chad, just tell them to read the damn instruction manual for once!  ; ^ )

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »
Wow...what a buck!!!

I can't believe you shot that thing with one of them danged White Bison bows..... (That's a joke to you Steve, are ya still building them???)

I think Chad has been taking lessons from a few others around here on how to tell (or not tell...) a story.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©