INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I know I just killed the best buck of my lifetime. (Final details)  (Read 12165 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I know I just killed the best buck of my lifetime. (Final details)
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
Chad.......absolutely awesome!!!! Congrats!!!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »
No Dave, he shot his bighorn last year with one but he used his "ugly" bow this year!  LOL.

I haven't built any except for myself and friends since a year before I left St.L which would be about 6 years ago.

I sold one of my personal bows to Chad about that same time when he was just a poor, lowly Army private in Sauget(East St. Louis), Illinois and look at him now!

Offline Keener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »
Congratulations, Chad. That is a heck of a deer!
   :notworthy:

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »
I finally got up in the stand and only then did I realize the winds were blowing at least 30 miles and hour. It had been windy most days this week, but I felt like the days past, it would eventually lie down.I kept thinking if a deer came by there wouldn’t be much I could do.

It was about 40 minutes before I could balance myself without holding the tree when the first deer stepped out. It was a lone doe I had seen before and things were looking good early.

She was acting nervous and I figured the wind was the cause. She then took off across the river bottom followed by a single antlered deer. He was having fun and things were getting interesting. I’m sure he thought he was a king, all 6 inches of one antler tailing that doe.

Not five minutes later a nice buck came out in pretty much the same place the doe and little buck had been standing. I tried to get him to come my way but we were separated by an old blown down fence line and although curious he wasn’t quick to drop his guard.

I gave my best grunts and bleats and could tell he was interested, but he kept looking where the doe went, and then to the haunts of the windy forest where I sat hoping he would give me a chance.

He started circling me to get my wind and I felt with the current wind conditions there was no way he was going to pick me off. He was now about 65 yds out and directly down wind. He just stood there in the wide open river bottom looking for the doe he had heard.

I decided to do something I’ve never done while hunting deer. That was to rattle at him. I picked up the horns, and put them together softly to see if it would be his undoing. It wasn’t! As soon as heard the horns he bounded off in the direction of the doe and small buck. So much for that??

It was still early and my hopes were high. A third buck appeared where the previous deer had been and I did my best doe imitation to see what he would do. As luck would have it, he walked pretty much to me. The 3x3 had been fooled and this night was turning out to be one I wouldn’t soon forget.

It was starting to get late when I looked behind me and noticed a small buck rubbing on a tree some 80 yds away. The bucks were out, I just needed a few more minutes. I put my binoculars on the small buck and was watching him when for no reason, he took off? Not two seconds later out of the thick tangle behind me came a great buck.

He was cruising the funnel and coming my way fast. He cut the distance between us in half within seconds. He stopped, at some 50 yds and stood up on his hind legs almost completely vertical and began to destroy a tree. He was taking it to a whole system of branches and was doing so with tremendous force. It was hard to tell the difference between antlers and the tree branches as he violently sparred with his opponent.  He then dropped down, and started throwing dirt with his front hooves.

Never before have I seen buck throw dirt so far behind him. He was hot, and taking everything out on a tree there, not 50 yds away and headed in my direction.

He then snapped his head in my direction and on he came. That was the last time I saw his antlers!

I got ready, and focused on that little dark triangle as he headed my way. I had told myself if a buck came through I would try to take him in the first opening which seemed to be a close 20 yds versus the long 20 yds (visually) directly to my left.

On he came and for the first time, I could hear his foot steps in the cotton wood leaves approaching quickly. As he hit the first opening, his speed was too great and I never got on him as planned. He went behind a huge cotton wood tree and when he reappeared I was locked on knowing this would be the last opportunity for a shot. I grunted to stop him but he never heard it. I gave him one more and he locked up.

He was tense, standing there looking for the sound. I drew back, anchored for what seemed like two to three seconds and shot...... The buck took the arrow tight to the crease and mule kicked to the rear and took off.

It was then that I saw the rear view of him leaving with stuff sticking out from both sides of his antlers as he jumped the fence and ran out into a huge opening. 100 yds....... go down......200 yds........GO DOWN............. at 250 yds he stopped.

I now had to get up on my seat and was looking through some brush and could barely see him. He looked to be wobbling and I lost sight of him. He was only feet away from going into a river and was about to leave public land.

I sat down, and the surge hit me. I settled down, pulled out a small compass and got a good bearing on the last place I saw him. He was straight 90 east.  The wait was painful. You think after shooting a few animals it would go away, but if anything (for me), it has only gotten worse.

The “what ifs” started going through my mind. I felt that I had heart shot the buck but couldn’t believe he went that far on such a hit. My mind again started playing cruel tricks on me. Was it low? If it was a heart shot he wouldn’t have went so far? Maybe he needed to get across that opening? Did he make it to the river?

About an hour later (dark now) I got down. I went to the site of impact and found blood right away.  With good sign I started trailing and not 15 yds away, I found my arrow snapped in two minus 10 inches of the shaft with penetration that seemed to be complete.The Wensel Woodsman had done its job and now it was up to me.

I followed blood to the heap of what used to be a fence and then over. About mid way through the opening it was getting very hard to follow him so I pulled the compass out, walked the 90, and hit the river bank. I started to look in panic. The grass was tall, but I would be able to see him easily if he was down.  He was not there! 300 plus yards and no deer.

I then walked to the river bank and saw where he went down. He had stopped on a small sandbar and left significant sign and both the blood, and his tracks pointed off into the dark side of the river that my flashlight could not penetrate. Across a river I had no knowledge of as far as depth and now he was on private property.I decided to pull back.

Again I felt the huge surge of pressure and doubt about what happened. From the highest highs to lowest of lows, I felt alone and had only past tracking jobs to reflect back on. Some bad, some good, I was alone with nobody to talk to and only the lonely cold truck to look forward to.

It took me some time, but I located the land owner and told him what had happened. He was happy for me and told me it wouldn’t be a problem at all. I tried to hide my anxiety and thanked him. He told me if it came to it, I could take his old dog if needed. He wished me good luck and I was sad to leave. Company was something I could have used.

It was near 8PM or so and I had a long night to look forward to. I was in my sleeping bag and felt I had a great nights sleep. I looked at my watch and it was only 10 PM. Again, the doubts crept in and the thoughts of tomorrow were cloudy at best. In a surreal moment, I said to myself if it turns out bad, it’s a shame I didn’t even get to really see the buck’s antlers even though he was right there.

Morning found me standing at the rivers edge in the dark listening for yips and yaps of the coyotes that haunt this river bottom. It was quiet. Two ducks came down and landed right in front of me and soon it was light enough to see.

I crossed the river and located where the deer came up and out. Again the sign was very heavy and I was feeling quite good. Another 20 yds and I had nothing. It was like everything vanished. I searched and searched that little landing and thought maybe he went right or left, but the beaver slide runway was right there and was still in line with the last blood I  had found.

I looked and looked and found a spot of blood indicating he indeed went up the runway. Once up I still found nothing. I walked about 20 yds out where the ground was covered with cotton wood leaves versus the short grass where cattle had been grazing. After 20 or so minutes I found where he went. I went back, picked up my bow and pack and started heading back to the last spot when I saw his antlers sticking up out of the nearest brushy island. The journey had ended today in the same direction as it did the previous night, due east.

As far as the bow equipment went, I used a 62lb longbow with 33 inch 2216s tipped with Mr. Wensel’s Woodsmans.  

Chad
How I love Colorado!

Offline Raven

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »
WOW!! GREAT STORY!! Felt like I was right there with ya!  :thumbsup:  Congrats on a fine hunt and buck.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »
Thanks, Chad.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »
That is impressive!!! Congrats just don't seem like enough!
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »
Great narrative of the the hunt and the trail Chad! Just felt I had to tell ya I cannot count the times I have gone back and looked at the pic's of your buck. He is absolutely impressive. I can only imagine how you must have felt when you did find him and got to put his rack in your hands for the first time. Talk about mixed emotions, I'll bet yours were scrambled.    :D    
I hope you and your buck make the cover of a trad mag, with story inside. Your persistance in the hunt despite disappointing events and your efforts to recover the buck make for great examples for all hunters.

Again, outstanding job in more ways than one.

Al

Offline Jim Reamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »
Well Said Al! Great story Chad!    :thumbsup:

God Bless!

Jim

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »
Al,

Thanks for the kind words I appreciate them. I'm glad you enjoyed the quick little write up.

I guess I forgot to add as best I could tell I got one lung. The hit was perfect on the one side but instead of coming out the opposite side, it came out through the bottom of the chest. In Colorado there are certain units you cannot take the deer out due to CWD, so I quartered him just like you would an elk using the gutless method. I never searched for my broadhead or what exactly I hit.
How I love Colorado!

Offline Flatstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
There's nothing more to say, AWESOME!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"Good Luck" & "Shoot Straight!"

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2005, 08:00:00 AM »
Well written story Thank you!

I used that "gutless method" for the first time this yr and really liked it.Beats the snot outta draggin em out whole.

Congrads again TM
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Glenn29

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Whittington Photography
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
Great story!
Can't see the forest for all the trees..

Offline dhanson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »
Great buck and story!  Congrads!

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2005, 08:32:00 AM »
I just wanted to bump this once, I just got back from Kansas and can appreciate this story because I hunted the same kind of terrain I think, and Chad has sent me some encouraging PM's on traditional hunting. Congrats Chad - fine, FINE whitetail !!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2005, 12:39:00 PM »
Good stuff Chad, congrats!  Didn't see this earlier, thanks Brad.  Was driving from MN to AK  ;)

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »
Fantastic, congrats!

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »
I thought I'd just finalize this post with some numbers my taxidermist gave to me today.

The buck scored 172 gross as a main frame 8 point and grossed 209 NT.

The final net score was 168 as a typical (without subtracting all the NT points) and 205 NT when all said and done.

I thought it may be of some interest to see just how typical he actually was. One fine animal that mother nature created.

Chad
How I love Colorado!

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2006, 07:15:00 PM »
Incredible animal, Chad...I would love to see pics of the mount when it's completed. Congrats again!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »
I am so glad you bumped this back up. Your spellbinding adventure took place while I was in a tent the National Forest, so I missed the original posting. I returned near the end of the month, and though I backtracked through the threads, I missed yours.

What a thrilling hunt, and your story was told exceedingly well! Thanks for sharing it, and for the terrific pictures that you took of the deer. What a majestic creation of Nature, indeed!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©