INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Mr. Clean in Arizona!! The last days Pg 3  (Read 5367 times)

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mr. Clean in Arizona!! The last days Pg 3
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kaibabkid:
The arrow was perfect just the rabbit stoped before the arrow and him met.
Now that must come from his mothers side as I would never make such an excuse.  ;)    ;)
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »
Mr. Clean seems not to like rabbits.  I think I missed three or four cottontails with him - one of which was simply an easy shot.  I guess that's o.k. - he seems to like larger targets just fine.  Keep after 'em guys - I love hearing what he's up to.

Ted

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
Probably won't be much in the next few days. We have a lot going on. In addition to the normal festivities we need to celebrate my parents 50th anniversary. The Christmas Morning Deer Hunt is still in the plans and you will get a look at that in detail. I am wonderin how Mr. Clean will take to the big country we are about to introduce him to.

Jim Coffey
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2005, 02:38:00 PM »
Well 4 am sure came early after all the festivities of Christmas Eve and getting to bed just before midnight. I don't think I have ever beat Jason to the door when there was hunting to be done but that's what happened Christmas Morning. He was a bit tired. Mr.Clean appeared ready and all of us had dreams of a special day.

As we stepped from the truck after the two hour joint jarring drive over ranch roads I noted the air outside was cool but not the bone chilling cold I am accustomed to when hunting this particular area. We had arrived just before sunrise, Jason and I decided we would hunt a series of canyon's where I have seen numerous big Mule deer bucks chasing does in years past and he had unsuccesfully tried the daunting task of stalking a big 5x5 two years earlier after we had bumped him out of a small basin. This is our favorite spot. The spot I had missed what was no doubt the biggest buck I had ever seen on the hoof.

As we began our climb towards a small saddle that gives us a view of several ridges and canyon bottoms I watched in the predawn darkness as Jason warmed Mr. Clean up with several short draws and finally to full draw. In Jason's face and in Mr. Cleans lines as his limbs bent smoothly back I saw it. Both were ready given the opportunity.

We reached the saddle just as the tinge of light  appeared in the east. Red Butte south of the Grand Canyon and Arizona's Highest point Mt. Humphreys giving us our bearings. I love this place as it holds a certain magic for me. Not only for the great hunting opportunities but for the views. It is not hard to understand why the Havasupai (People of the Blue- Green Water)have continued to call it home.

Sunrise at the saddle.

Just as there was enough light to make having binoculars worth while I picked up the slow movement of animals on the hillside out in front of us. What were they?? cattle..bucks chasing does??? I just couldn't be sure! Jason his ears being better than mine directed me to listen for a noise, a noise coming from what ever was moving out front....what is that noise?

Then I recognized it "Hooves on Rocks". Still just too dark to make out what was wearing those hooves but our heartbeats quickened none the less as these critters wahtever they were had no idea we were there.

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »
and then....
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2005, 08:31:00 PM »
....and then the Sun never to be left out of the equation gave me just enough so I would know what was out there. The buff colored rumps to those fortunate to live out west are like billboards they simply scream ELK. I watched as the light increased and the scattered herd numbering 10-15 animals all cows and calves milled about feeding.

Now normally the sighting of Elk is a good thing and excites my soul but today was different because of a few things. First and foremost we didn't have Elk tags. Second and more important  for todays purpose of finding deer a bigger problem came to mind. You see anytime I have hunted these small pocket's of habitat and run into Elk especially cows and calves in any numbers the deer were almost non-existent. Seems they like to take turns using the areas.

I thought about pulling up stakes and moving but  only being on a morning hunt the size of this  big country alone would mean a move would wipe out what time we had left. Besides with an optimism so many of us Classic Archer's know I told myself "we have yet to look into the big buck hidey hole."

Jason and I continued to glass the country side from our saddle to insure we hadn't missed anything and to give the day time to get a hold of the area and provide a predictable wind. As we did so I picked up two more distant Elk moving on the horizon. I think to myself "this is not good-too many Elk."

Then Jason excitably whispers "Antelope" and as he directs my view to the yellow prairie grass below I see the white rumps as distinct to that species as that of the Elk. The herd is in a hurry and moves away across the flats not running but definately heading for somewhere else. The fact we do not have Antelope tags doesn't even enter my mind for they are like winning lottery tickets and this herd is leaving anyway.

It's time Jason and I need to start our move...

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2005, 01:54:00 AM »
We begin our sidehilling the to the north keeping off the horizon but working slowly towards the sage filled basin with rimrock ledges on the edge of the big canyon. This is the hidey hole big buck's seem to frequent. It is connected by a small hidden drainage that leads to distant man made water put in place by the Game & Fish Department. As we get close to being able to peek into the basin the anticipation grows, we are almost there. We cross a trail that is so beaten down that the dirt is the consistency of talcum powder. The smell is there too. The distinct odor of Elk. I find no deer tracks in the path and I begin to beleive my thought about the deer is dead on.

We continue on a few steps with me slightly in the front when Jason hisses at me. I see where he is looking, the dark grey winter hide located slightly ahead and off to my left is very familiar to me as I peer at it as if it is I who will be making the shot through the dusty sage. It start's to move but then hesitates this could be a fatal mistake.

Jason reaches for an arrow and simultaneously gives the "should I try look?" It is a bit further than he has practiced but he looks confident in the quartering away shot so I knod in the affirmative. The arrow finds the string and Mr Clean is back. At the loose I follow the arrows clean flight and gasp with excitement as there seems to be no doubt that the shaft will meet flesh. My excitement is dashed however when the shaft dead on line makes that all to familiar last minute surrender to gravity and lands at the quarry's feet. With a giant leap to clear a 3 foot sage and enter the basin this dance is over. Ted was right Mr. Clean just doesn't seem to like rabbits. Big Old Grey Jack rabbits or dainty little cottontails. I think we are going to work hard at changing that in the coming days left with Mr Clean. Maybe he just needs a little more exposure to get the hang of it.

We walked to the shaft laying in the sandy soil energized by the encounter and both having smiles on our face. We have shared this hunt not only as Father and Son but as friends.

Jason and I ended the Christmas morning seeing more Elk and more Antelope but not a single Mule deer. This has never happened to me in this area and I am honestly dumbfounded. We will figure it out during the January season but unfortunately it won't be with Mr Clean. I'll close this portion of the Christmas Hunt with a photo.

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2005, 07:09:00 AM »
Great story, and pictures. One of my dreams is to camp and rove in your part of the country. Your are twice blessed in that your hunting bud and your son are one and the same.
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Bama Stan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2005, 10:12:00 AM »
Great pics and story. You'll get'um. I need some of those pics for my scrap book. I'll get back with you on where the bow goes next.

Stan
"Ain't no shame in miss'n" Smitty after I missed a nice boar at ten yrds.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
Stan we're headed out Thursday to set up the Javelina hunt. Hopefully you can let me know who is next before then. While huntin little piggies we can still chase deer. Jason really wants a Coues Whitetail regardless of the size of its headgear. Lofty goal but we'll be working on it.

Offline Ted

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
Wow, that is some awesome landscape you guys are hunting.  Man, Mr. Clean is having one heck of a season.

Those wascilly wabbits - must be the ears that throw us off.

Ted

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »
That is the little ditch. They don't allow us to hunt near the big one.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 05:43:00 AM »
Wow...good stuff!!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »
I've been out of touch a few days. Great to come back and read about Mr. Clean. Good story tellin' Canyon. I wouldn't have a clue on how to go about huntin' that terrain.  :)   Love the pic's.

Keep after 'em.

Al

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »
Well I finally get time to sit down and tell a bit about Jason and my final days with Mr. Clean and our trip to the land of Geronimo and Cochise.

Before I get started though I need to give a great big heartfelt Thank You to fellow TradGangers & PBS'ers  Paul Marsden and Alan Payne. Without them this trip would not have been such a great experience. Back during our 1st meeting they indicated they were willing to share one of their special places as well as their years of knowledge to try and get Jason and I on some javelina. They were true to their word.

Anyway with Jason's school deciding to do things different than most and scheduling finals after the Christmas break it became necessary to change plans up a bit. Since he couldn't afford to miss the days we had planned off we would need to cut the trip short hunting deer before the years end and then having only a couple of days to chase javelina after the New Years opener. This bad news was made worse by the fact that Paul had come down with something nasty and needed a doctor's intervention badly. It didn't look good for him to make it on the mountain.

Arriving in Tucson I was suprised to learn from Alan that Paul was in fact coming. Although weak it seems nothing was going to keep him from his annual New Years javelina pilgrimage. Things are looking up.

We arrived in the hunting area and quickly got camp in order. We had planned to use Paul's Tipi but with the trip being shortened and his being ill the set-up time didn't make sense. Regardless my well used wall Tent made for a comfy camp. The views were awesome too.

It didn't take long and the first time out with Alan leading the way I glassed up a distant herd of javelina.We knew they were here now it was just time to wait for opening day. Once the little piggies were found we played tourist as Alan took us to some small caves on the mountain.

Looks like some other hunters had been here!!! I wonder how different their equipment was!!

That evening Jason was set up on a water hole for deer and while there glassed up a nice 3 point buck on a nearby hillside. He named the deer "Tripod" since the Mulie was walking on only 3 legs. Nothing showed up at the water and Jason wanted a chance to stalk "Tripod" the following day.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
Alright,back in action!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Bama Stan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
Yes!! I was suffering from withdraw.

Stan
"Ain't no shame in miss'n" Smitty after I missed a nice boar at ten yrds.

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay guys. We'll get the rest of the hunt and a few more pictures up later tomorrow. Mr Clean is headed back to the South and should be arriving in Arkansas soon.

Offline slow walker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »
More, Canyon, More!!!  :bigsmyl:

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »
One of Jason's Photo's to hold us over until I can get back to tell the rest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©