INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A Young Boy's "Determination"  (Read 4165 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
A Young Boy's "Determination"
« on: January 23, 2006, 10:49:00 AM »
3 years ago my 12 year old son took his first deer with a shotgun. The excitement was incredible for both of us and I was glad to have him with me no matter what equipment he used.

Last year he fought "target panic" so bad he decided to shoot a compound instinctively throughout the hunting season. He was fortunate to take an incredible buck not far from our home in PA.

Determined to beat target panic and shoot a traditional bow he switched to left handed. He practiced proper form over and over careful not to over shoot or develop any bad habits....(we've all been there)

He also made a promise that the next deer he would shoot would be with his McCullough longbow. Determined right up until the last week of the season all he would carry to the woods was his longbow.

Well...patience, practice and determination paid off this weekend. He made a beautiful 12 yard shot on a doe as she snuck past his stand tucked into an evergreen 6 foot off the ground. She made the whole event more interesting by dying in the river, fortunately it was low tide.

For those of you who know my son, know he is a first class young man and that I'm very blessed. If he is the future of bowhunting along with those "Baker Boys" we are in good hands!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Young Boy's "Determination"
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
Great story and great pics!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Ol'school

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »
Way to go!!  :thumbsup:  
Thanks for sharing and supporting his hard work.
"I may be getting older, But I hope I NEVER grow up!

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
That's really something. Congratulations to both of you!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
Tim, That's just awesome!!! He's sure grown up.I hope to experience that some day with my kids.You should be real proud Tim!!

You two should try to make the bunny hunt.It'll be worth the drive bud!!

Congrats to both   :notworthy:    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline shawnee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 11:08:00 AM »
Congratulations to both of you.  To have a lifetime hunting partner is one of the best things that can happen to a Dad.
Well, who'da thunk it!

Offline Razorbak

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »
Tim congrats to your son, thats awesome..it shows what kind of young man he is and he has a good role model to to look up to...CONGRATS to both of you, cant wait to do that with my son one day
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 11:29:00 AM »
Tim~ tell your son congrats for me! Way to go! nothing like sharing the hunt with your son!
YEEHA!
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »
yahoooooo!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :D
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »
Good determination and nice job on the Doe....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
Last year when Tim. Jr. took his buck, I posted his pick on my web site (Gallery, Pg10) because I thought it was a great pic and I was impressed with his making the hard decision that, while he wanted to hunt trad, he felt he wasn't quite ready. I also told him (through his Dad) he'd done right and that I felt, with his determination, he would be ready this year. I have been waiting for this thread all season and was afraid it was too late. I am so happy for you, Tim. Ya done good - and "growed a rod". Thanks for posting the story and pics, Tim Sr.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline benzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »
That is awesome. Congrats!!!

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »
You sir, are a very blessed man!!!

Brent

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 12:30:00 PM »
You two just make me smile... that boy is sure growing up! Sorta scary to see two carbon copies and knowing what about to be unleashed on the world soon! Gads that boy looks like you!

Congratulations, Bud! Not mostly on the kill, but like before..on the choices made. You and mamma done good with them kids.  

Only thing would've made them pics/story better was some retrieval in underdrawers like Biggie had on his avatar back a spell! :bigsmyl:  

Hope to hook up at a shoot hereabouts! You guys rock!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »
Congrats to the both of you.  Tim, your son had a hard act to follow up on last year, but he proved to be up to the task!   Determination and perserverance like that does'nt come easily to many adults, let alone a youngster...you can be proud for sure!  There's no doubt that young Tim has embraced the challenges of hunting "the hard way", and enjoys the real rewards of his efforts.  You have one fine partner there!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 01:49:00 PM »
Dandy , story Tim the smiles tell it all, especialy on Dad! LOL...great father and son...hope many more...God Bless..Marco#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline m laughlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »
the picture alone says a thousand words congrats and thanks for sharing.
"what your eyes ain't seen, your hands ain't touched,and your life ain't done ain't always safe for such easy judgement."-C.M. Sackett

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys, my son will enjoy reading all your comments.

Bernie...he sure did push it right up until the wire. Although he wanted to take a deer real bad he still passed up several marginal shots waiting for the right one. Again his patience paid off. Thanks again for posting him on your web page last year! Gene and Barry Wensel also put him on their site...you guys sure know how to make a kid feel special!

Doc...we'll see you in NJ or Baltimore, we plan on attending both this spring. Sorry I couldn't get you out to hunt this year. We lost a property and the other one turned over the corn and planted winter wheat. Haven't seen a deer in the field since. Every deer is across the street and I don't have permission there.(all 40 plus of them)!!!

Everyone...thanks again!

Offline swampbiologist

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
Tim, you are a most fortunate man. This country needs many more just like your boy. There may still be hope!
There's no traffic jam along the "Extra Mile"
If it's "Easy", anyone can do it!

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »
I bet he will have that smile for a looooong time to come lol. Congrats to both but especially to your son. Not many young people or for that matter any age would be that determined and stick with their decisson to master that LB as your son has done and quite well. Good for him. Alan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©