INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I'm Back!!! (Story and Pictures added)  (Read 11793 times)

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm Back!!! (Story and Pictures added)
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »
Hey, Joseph

Thank you for the telling! Your stories have revitalized those dreams I have of one day going to Africa.

Thank you,
Rich

Also, is there a way we can mark this post to go back and read it at a later date? I will start hunting soon and don't want to miss anything!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Hoodoo Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2005, 05:03:00 PM »
Joseph:
After hearing talk of DVD and more pics and all, you are formally required to get your butt down here next month to hunt elk.  You bring your DVD and I will find a way to get a tv, gen-set and what ever you play those DV thingy's on to camp.  I will also volunteer to bring the bottle(s).

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »
OH great now Charlie is gonna go on a big hunt. It'll take him till march to finish the stories. Sure will be fun to read em though. Good luck Charlie and have fun!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »
Really enjoying this Joseph, Great pics and love the grin  :thumbsup:  Congrats on a great trip.

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2005, 04:46:00 AM »
Herb, he is a Burchells Zebra.  They are the ones with the shadow stripes and are the most common.  Leo, all of the video will be put on a VHS tape tonight and possibly burned onto a DVD Thursday night.  I can bring the VHS tape for the elk hunt.  It might be easier to get set up.
Also someone asked way back at the begining what I was shooting.  It was my Robertson Gozhawk 58" long, 64# @ 29".  Everything except for the Kudu was shot with arrows made from footed hexpine shafts I got from Bob Burton.  The Kudu was shot with a Easton Axis shaft made into an arrow by HooDoo Arrow.  For broadheads I used a Doug Cambell damascus steel trade point on the Eland, a Pearson Deadhead on the Nyala, and a Magnus I on the Kudu.  The rest were shot with Zephyr Sausquatch broadheads.
Day 11 - as mentioned previously this was the day I got my second chance at the Nyala and after collecting him that was enough for me.
Day 12 - Now I am down to Warthog that I am trying to get.  Sat all day in a blind by myself and managed to missed the first Warthog that I have seen with decent tusk.  They had a very large die off 2 years ago due to a drought and now there are a lot of pigs but not very many big ones.  I filmed a female bushbuck that came in twice during the day and when I get back that night and I am telling them what I say I get to her and the look at me like I am nuts until I show them the film.  There weren't suppose to be any bushbuck in where I was setting.  This was the second time that I had seen animals in places where they weren't suppose to be.  The fences while they look impressive, are not actually game proof if the animals really want to go to the other side.  
Day 13 - Another long day in the same blind as yesterday.  I had seen the most pigs here of any place I had sat previously.  At about 1430 2 warthogs came in to drink and the one on the left side was the biggest boar I had seen to date so when he knelt down to get a drink I did some serious concentrating and took my shot!  Now what my serious concentrating was going into I don't know but it appearently wasn't going into making this shot.  The pig was kneelling on the cement edge of the waterhole and my arrow hit the concrete about 3 inches infront of his leg, skidded along the surface and stuck through the skin on the front of his leg.     :help:   He didn't hang around to see what may have caused the disturbance and was never seen or heard from again.  My broken arrow was lying on the ground about 20 yards away.  The silver lining in this little cloud was, if you are going to pay for an unrecovered animals it is always best for it to be a cheap one and at $200.00 Warthogs are cheap.
Day 14 - The last day.  I had come to the conclusion that me and warthogs just weren't ment to be on this trip so I decided to spend my last day at a waterhole where the PH's had seen the Black Faced Impala the most.  They move all over but this seemed to be the area of the most sightings.  This turned out to be the longest day of my trip because I sat for 11 hours and hardly saw a thing and only 1 wildebeest bull came in to drink all day until right before dark when about 20 of his friends showed up.  Only problem was I didn't want one of those.  Now all tat's left is to go back to day 3 that I skipped over and that will happen tomorrow folks.  I have to go make like a nurse now.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2005, 06:14:00 AM »
Can't wait for day 3!!! I have a feeling it is gonna be good.  :bigsmyl:
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2005, 08:01:00 AM »
I held off reading this but just couldn't wait any longer!

Way to go Joseph! Very happy to hear you were blessed with such a successful and game rich hunt. Makes me hunger for Africa again....and this time with an outfit like Dries Vesser. Now the only question is, there or Austrailia   :bigsmyl:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »
Great hunt Joseph! Brings back many great memories, I have been over three times now. That is one beutiful nyala you got yourself, they are the pretiest animal in Africa in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your trip.
hunt it

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2005, 11:05:00 AM »
Wow...that's about all I can say Joseph.   Thanks so much for sharing the pics and stories.  Congrats on your hunt...glad you're back safe.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Chad Edgar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »
Great stuff Joseph.  Now just stuff 'em full of sedatives and get back to the 'puter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Here from the King's mountain view,
Here from the wild dream come true...
Treasures of flesh never few! "Jambi"

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »
Joseph was it a blue or black ? in around 1960 there were only 1000 blackwildebeast left on earth and now because of the game ranches there are thousands and only in RSA  -- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2005, 04:31:00 PM »
Joseph- Thanks for allowing me to relive my trip to South Africa last year with Biggie. Your descriptions are very well written, you took me right back there. I hope to return there in 07 and I hope I enjoy it as much the second time around. Don't know how one wouldn't. Congrats on your animals and great photo's!! Really enjoyed Hein too!!

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »
Well it's 12:40 am. Joseph should be here in a lil bit for the rest of the story. Can't wait to read it.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »
Day 3, Day 3, Day 3 please?
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »
awesome hunt. one thing is for sure this is getting me even more excited about my africa hunt next year. i'm glad i'm reading everything i can about hunting africa and the game but dang if it's not making me crazy. just 311 days to go.  >~rob~>
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2005, 02:49:00 AM »
Okay, I am back.  I had some really important stuff to do.  Our Archery Antelope season has already been open for 3 days and I haven't even been hunting yet.  I went out today to a new ranch and got the tour so tomorrow it will be legwork time and get a blind set up so I can go out next week on my days off and give things a try!  Herb the one that came in the last day was a Blue Wildebeest which I don't want to shoot but Vissers have a very nice herd of Black Wildebeest which I had to stay away from for fear of going even more over budget!  I saw 2 bulls while we were driving around that were absolutely huge.  Bigger than any picture I have ever seen of one!
Marty, are you planning on going back with Gene? Let me know will you.  I am going back in 2007 also but I haven't decided exactly when.
Terry, that is an awesome bull you got at Doug's!  I am going back this fall to try my bow again.  Last year I hit mine in the elbow with my first shot and he just wasn't real cooperative after that.  He ended up with an acute case of lead poisoning unfortunately but he still ate mighty fine.
Okay, Day 3 - A little background first.  When I arrived in camp the only other hunters were Kipp Kerr, his dad Ken Sr, and son Kenny.  They are from Cincinatti (I hope I spelled that right) OH.  Kerr construction or Kerr custom homes.  They were wonderful people and it was a real pleasure to get to spend some time in camp with them.  This was the first time that all 3 generations had been hunting togethor.  Anyways, one of the things Kipp was after was a Lepoard and after seeing Dries Jr in action I would have to say if you want spots he is the guy to talk to.  When me and Hien got back to the lodge at the end of a very long day 2 ( see previous post) we heard on the radio that Kipp had shot a Lepoard!  With a forecast for another day of shifting winds I asked Hien if we could go along the next day to recover the cat, silly me!  You ever hear the saying be careful for what you wish for?  Kipp and Dries Jr got back about an hour later and we spent almost another hour going over the video frame by frame.  The first cat that came in he had shot underneath between it and the branch.  This one was real easy to see because of the lighted nock.  Not to long after that another one appeared on the branch and Kipp took the shot which resulted in a hit but we were unable to determine exactly where on the cat it was.  It turned out what we were seeing on the video was the shadow of the arrow.  The bait site was about an hour and a half drive away and when we got there we started looking for sign.  Having spent a good deal of time reading about African hunting for several years I had a good idea just how dangerous wounded leapoards could be so I was sutibly armed at this point with a Tikka 30-06.  The tracks were confusing for a while because it ended up that there had been 3 different cats at the bait in one night.  It also turned out that the first cat that they thought had been missed had been cut across the back of it's forearm buy the first shot.  This area was still heavily brushed but there were also taller trees and hardly any thorns.  We were in the Waterburg mountains and just about everything was granite.  Any  soil between boulders supported 2-4 foot high grass.  For 4 hours we worked at sorting out the criss crossing lepoard trails with 2 of the 3 bleeding.  Eventually we discovered where the male and the female, both of which were bleeding had gone under a fence onto the adjoining property.  We needed to contact this landowner and get permission to follow onto their place so while that was being done we returned to the truck to get some more water.  I had come to the conclussion in my mind that we were barking up an empty tree and being very tired when we got to the truck I put the rifle I was carrying back into the gun rack.  This was one of the days when the temperature rose into the high 80's.  Now you should be able to tell from my pictures that I am not very well adapted to heat.  My nice comfortable temp for personal comfort is about 50 degrees.  Eventually permission was obtained and we went back to the fence crossing.  This is were my Army training started coming in handy.  Very big guy sqeezes under game proof fence.  This was the first indication to me that the game proof fences weren't really so.  The 2 lepoards that had been hit by arrows had been travelling togethor up to this point but not very far on the other side of the fence they split up.  It was determined from the blood sign that the female only had a minor flesh wound and would be okay but that the male was seriously wounded.  Did I say that the trackers were amazing!  This is the day that the dogs really amazed me also!!  The trail eventually lead to the base of a cliff that was about 60 feet high but we could clearly see blood going up it.  The little voice in my mind is saying " there is no way this cat would be going up this cliff if it was seriously wounded" and I silently congratulated my self for having the foresight to leave the rifle back in the truck instead of dragging it along on this folly.  More Army training comes in handy now, Repelling and Mountainerring School, as we go up the cliff.  Jack Russells can jump really high but we had to hand them up the cliff to each other as we climbed to get them up to the top.  We got to the top of the cliff and the ground opened up a little bit and we picked up the blood trail and the dogs set off.  We had been going for about 5 1/2 hours at this point.  We crested the ridge and the trail turned to the left.  We were going along the ridge when we reached the end of it and it started dropping off.  As tthe hill dropped off the grass suddenly got thicker and there was a large patch of brush just downhill to our left.  We had 3 Jack Russells with us to start.  At this point one had run ahead out of sight, one was with us, and the other one was being taken to a waterhole to get cooled off.  Kenzo(the dog) suddenly went on point and started growling.  Not being ones to ignore a sign we stopped for a rest and water replenishment.  The other dogs were taken for a dunk in the waterhole and we all drank a bunch of water.  30 minutes later when we had refocused ourselves and the dogs indicated that it was safe we proceeded forward.  25 yards from where Kenzo warned us we found where the cat had bedded and there was a lot of fresh, bright red, liquid blood.  We were close!  At this point the thought crossed my mind, why am I out here in grass 3 feet tall looking for a wounded lepoard without a gun?  Oh ya, because I asked to be here and I left the gun in the truck 2 1/2 hours ago.  Occasionally I have been accussed of not thinking things all of the way through, go figure.  I almost forgot to mention, as soon as we found the fresh blood after the dog's alert the PH's told me and Kipp to close up and we recieved our instructions incase of a close kitty encounter.  EVERYONE jump on the cat if it gets ahold of somebody!  A lepoard can kill one person that is alone but it can't kill 4 people.  I new there was some reason why I had bought that Medical Emergency/Evacuation insurance!  Oh well, on we pressed and crossed a road after which the grass and brush opened up alot.  We also heard a barking fit from the one dog that had run ahead.  Ever since we had jumped the cat from his bed he had been bleeding good.  Dries Jr and Hien, the PH's with the Guns were in front.  I was 10 yards behind them, and Kipp was 10 yards behind me.  I was really dragging at this time.  We had been going for almost 7 hours and close to a mile from the bait tree with several emotional highs and lows and me being just a wee little bit out of shape.  150 yards after we crossed the road the dogs went on point again and Dries and Hien froze and up came the guns.  I kept walking towards them wanting to see what they were seeing when I see this gold dappled streak come up off the ground 15 yards in front of them and turn away.  It was gunfight at the O.K. corral for about 3 seconds, barking, growling dogs, and lots of Adrenolin!!!
All of this happened in an instant and then there was a lot of celebrating because anytime a wounded lepoard is succecssfully delt with and no one is injured it is a good day!  Kipp's shot hit mid body just behind the diaphram.  Dries Jr. said it was 3" to far back.  Close but almost not close enough.  It took me close to an hour to calm down.  I hadn't been this wound up since I was in that garden spot, southern Iraq, getting shot at in 1991.  Big party back at the lodge that night and a suprise when the skinners started on the cat.  He didn't have full range of motion in his right elbow and there was a large lump there.  When the skin was removed we could see the back of a broadhead so out came the saw.  It turned out to be a Shkote Broadhead with the tip rolled over and one edge sheared off.  It was encased it bone that had grown around it. It was put there the previous year by another of Dries Jr's hunters who was trying to get a lepoard.  You can see the shot on the video, Africa's Best Bowhunts Vol. 3.  It is the very last shot before the end of the video and even though the guy was using a 95# bow and a sturdy BH it didn't make it through the elbow.  It hadn't slowed down the cat very much either because the original bait that drew this cat in was a good sized Hartebeest, about 350#, that it had killed.  Dries Jr. found it and moved it to a tree where they could get a shot at it.  This concludes my adventure.  If you have any questions feel free to ask either here or privately and I will answer them to the best of my ability and thanks for reading along.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2005, 03:09:00 AM »
I also want to thank everyone for their kind words and now I see my picture at the top of the screen!  Also if you want to see Kipp's trophies they are on the Bowsite African thread titled "who's back from Africa this year"  he posted them under the handle Ultrtec.  Joseph

Offline Dennis Allan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2005, 03:10:00 AM »
Hey Joseph
  Thank you for the story, I know it isnt easy to type that much but you did a great job. I have been checking and reading everyday since your return. Good Hunt.

Shoot Straight
                                  DEA

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2005, 04:30:00 AM »
Great story Joseph!  :thumbsup:   I felt like i was right there with you.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2005, 05:56:00 AM »
Joseph, awesome bro..thanks for taking us along...  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©