INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I'm Back!!! (Story and Pictures added)  (Read 11804 times)

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm Back!!! (Story and Pictures added)
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »
Great to have ya back!  Now let's get busy with the stories and pics for those of us less fortunate who live vicariously through you!

Lee  :saywhat:

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »
Joseph

Welcome back!  Glad you made it back with all the probs I'm hearing about with SAA.

Hmmm, 6 animals and you are over-spent.  With the amount of cash you had for trophy fees you either went hog-wild on the expensive stuff or you had one heck of a bash somewhere else!

Congrats on the trophies and I'm looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing about it.

Ryan

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 05:04:00 PM »
Joseph,
good to hear you are back safe and sound.
That is a looooong plane ride isn't it.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 05:51:00 PM »
Glad to hear you made it home safe and had good luck Bro. Now, I have a cold 12 in the fridg and I'd love to have a good story to go with it. Pictures too.................

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »
Great!! New stories and pics  :D    :D  .....Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 09:02:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 09:05:00 PM »
Glad you had a great time. Can't wait to see your photos!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2005, 12:39:00 AM »
Ok, you have led us along quite long enough,LOL. we want pics and the full story.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2005, 05:30:00 AM »
Hmmmmmmm????    where????????
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2005, 06:01:00 AM »
Okay, sorry it took me a little while to get this done but to put things in perspective, if you leave your watch on local time for hunting camp when you leave and don't change it as you cross time zones you will get home 40-44 hours after you wake up! When flying east you are going ahead of the sun if you change your watch as you cross time zones it will only be 24 hours according to the watch but your body is running like it has been going for the 40 hours.  Anyways, the flight over wasn't bad at all and went off without a hitch. I got picked up by Nathalia Visser the next day and she took me to Pilanesburg National Park.  I spent 2.5 days there then she came back and got me and it was off to Citadel, the main hunting lodge for Dries Visser Safaris.  I got there in the afternoon and spent the rest of that day shooting my bow and just settling in.  The next morning it was coffee at 0700 and then off to my first day in the blind primarily looking for Impala and Waterbuck.  My PH for the day was Hien and we had just been in the blind probably 40 minutes when I looked out the window and saw something so I asked him what it was?  It was a common Duiker and he got very excited saying " You must shoot this, it is huge!"  Now for those of you that don't know a common Duiker is body size smaller than the average lab and huge horns on one are about 4.5 inches.  The whole time he is telling me what a rare oppurtunity this is and how nice this one is I am thinking to myself that I don't have one of these on my list.  All of this talking is occuring at a barely audible whisper because the duiker is only 12 yards away.  Well his excitement must have been infectious because all of the sudden the idea pops into my head that this would be a great animal to shoot with the rivercane arrow that I put one og the Obsidian points on.  As soon as I decided I wanted to shoot it I started shaking, almost to the point of the arrow bouncing on the shelf.  Having told myself that I would not shoot at anything that wasn't trying to commit suicide unknowingly I waited until it was broadside and had been drinking long enough that it finally loosened up about as much as anything does over here, I concentrated on my spot, drew back and proceded to shoot a foot over his back!  Not a very good start to my adventure.  It wasn't 2 much longer when the Impala showed up.  There were about 16 of them and they were at the water for close to 30 minutes I never had a clear shot at the ram.  They mill about constantly.  One of the things I had been told was to never shoot if there was an animal behind the one I was shooting at because if the arrow did a pass through and hit the animal in the back I would have to pay for it also.  After the Impala left the Vervet monkeys showed up and then we started seeing waterbuck cows through the brush.  Over the next hour they came and went and just kind of stood around.  Eventually the bull made his apperance which caused more shaking on my part.  When he came in to drink he gave me a beautifal broadside shot at 10 yards.  Only problem was that there was 2 calves and 2 cows lined up right behind him that were also drinking.  He drank his fill and walked off without ever giving me a clear shot.  Once all of the cows had left also Hien asked me why I hadn't shot when he was broadside at only 10 yards away and I said "you told me not to shoot at anything with animals standing behind them" to which he replies, "You would have been okay, I don't think your bow would shoot through him."  The next few hours were uneventful, nothing came in to drink again until a quarter to 4 at which time the Red Hartebeest showed up!  They walked right in and weren't near as paranoid as the animals I had been watching all day.  When the bull showed up last in line Hien again said that it was a very good one.  I wasn't planning on shooting a Hartebeest originally but as I had suspected, my wish list didn't hold to much sway over me when a shot presented itself.  It only took 15 minutes before I was presented with a 16 yard quartering away shot.  The arrow hit just a little more than half way back on my side and came out roughly 1 inch behind the crease of the shoulder on the oppisite side.  It actully blew threw him with enough speed left to roll the tip when it hit a rock!  The Hartebeest takes off and we watch him go 60 yards and tip over.  I lost it, I started jumping up and down and almost let out a war hoop but Hien reminded me that it was only 4PM and I stil might get a shot at something else before it got dark, He also commented that it was a good thing I hadn't shot the waterbuck.  I was using Zephyr Sausquatch broadheads and he didn't think they would penetrate that well.  I tried to settle down but that was pretty much a lost cause and finally begged him to call the truck at 5:30 so I could go and see my first African bow kill!  The truck showed up and we got out of the blind to go see him.  We walked up within 10 yards of the Hartebeest and looked him over.  He looked dead to both of us so Hien set his dog down( a Jack Russell) and Jock ran over to the Hartebeest and proceeded to bite into his sensitive family parts.  Much to my suprise the Hartebeest jumped up when this occurred which really amazed me like to the point of standing there with a dumb look on my face and my mouth hanging open       :scared:        The Hartebeest wasn't going anywhere in a hurry and we where ablr to get the dog to come back to us.  We followed him at a distance for 150 yards and he bedded down so we backed out and went back to the lodge for supper.  I was pretty much dumbstruck by what had happened but I was told that this wasn't the first time this had happened.  We went back out at 8PM and find him dead in his bed       :thumbsup:       Unfortunately I only have pictures of him on film because my camera bag, with the digital camera, got left in Nathalia's van when she dropped me off and I didn't realize it until she was gone. Since I promised pictures I will jump ahead a few days.  Went to a blind that was just a half mile behind the camp early in the morning.  At 0845 some Impala started coming in.  It was 2 rams and both were shooters.  One of them had a black face which was something I hadn't seen before and I decided that is the one I wanted.  I had read and been told to shoot low at the bottom of the chest due to their string jumping speed.  When I shot the arrow spun right towards him and he barely moved.  It passed just under his brisquet without touching him.  Fortunately it was only 10 more minutes before another one showed up and this time the arrow went right thru the back edge of his shoulder at the point where the go from a darker to a lighter tan at the midline of the body
     .  80 yards and fell over dead, really dead, no suprises on this one.  He did jumped hard enough as the arrow was passing through him to crack the shft at the cresting.  This story telling takes longer than I thought, I will get some more here in a little while.  I also need to consult with my journal and get my days straight.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline SuperKodiak38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2005, 06:16:00 AM »
Cool, Saw a Duiker on a TV show once itty bitty thing. I would have been whooping too.

Great picture, what was your bow, arrow set up?
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Offline nick_the_tinkerer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2005, 07:31:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down)

NRA Life Member

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2005, 07:48:00 AM »
That is cool Joseph, good photo too.  Can't wait for more.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline skillet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2005, 08:05:00 AM »
That is a great story so far! More, more!!!!
R.C. Evans
Blacksmith & Bladesmith Apprentice. Chaser of deer and squirrels. Builder of mediocre bows and some nice arrows. "I've never been lost, but have been might misplaced on occassion."

Offline Dirteater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »
I'm enjoying your hunt.  No need to rush the story-telling.  Take your time.  We ain't going no where.

Offline RainCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »
Very nice!  Can't wait to hear all of it.

-Terry
"Archery" is getting as far from the target as you can, and hitting it.  Bowhunting is getting as close to the target(animal) as you can, and not missing.

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 08:54:00 AM »
Awesome stuff Joseph, can't wait for more.

Gave your PH a new respect for the power of trad bows huh?

Offline Warren H. Womack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »
Joseph, This is a great read   :thumbsup:  

Thanks for taking the time to share.
>>>==Warren==>>>

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »
:wavey:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
Okay back at home after work and I have the journal which as several of you have said is priceless.  I can't thank HooDoo arrow enough for giving it to me!   :bigsmyl:  
Day 4 - Back in a blind trying for Waterbuck.  They were very regular about the time they came into the waterholes and this one showed up like clock work.  This one looked different than the ones we had been seeing.  Instead of being gray he was a dark brown, almost black on the face and it really made his white highlights stand out.  He also had the longest horns of any that we had seen yet and they were perfectly symetrical.  Hien figured he was pushing or just over 27".  It was another day of swirling winds but they held long enough for him and his cows to come in.  He procedes to either stand facing straight at or straight away from the blind and was so relaxed he was nodding off until the sound of a plane flying spooked the whole herd.  That was dissapointing.
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©