INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: I'm Back!!! (Story and Pictures added)  (Read 11801 times)

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'm Back!!! (Story and Pictures added)
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »
Great story Joseph and wonderful photos.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2005, 09:24:00 AM »
Been watching since you were just talking about the trip and now you're back sharing with us. Good job bud!!!

I can't imagine the pressure... those can be some expensive "misses"!

The Kudu is my favorite, though the Nyala is right up there with it.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »
Hey Joseph, I was just telling the wife yesterday that you should be home.  Been lookin forward to talkin to ya.  I havent checked in since last Monday on the trad gang....sorry I'm late but I just got caught-up.  Awesome man.  Cant wait to hear all the long versions of your trip stories.  And pics too.  Man I'm realy enjoying this.  That kudu is awesome.  They are definitely my favorite.  Congrats buddy, I'll try and call this eve before you head off to work.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
:wavey:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »
Lovin this Joseph. Man those African critters are HUGE! (nad pretty)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2005, 06:56:00 PM »
Welcome back Brother (From another Mother...!  :)  ) I'm happy for you mate that you had a top trip. I'll send through an email at a later date for a chat.

Again mate well done!

Kind regards from Oz, Alan.

As my Platoon SGT once said...  " Are you in pain Cpl Kidner? "

Me: "Why no sarge, why?".

Sgt: "Well you just must be cause I'm standing on your hair from all the way over here!"
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2005, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks for this story.  Nice animals.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GRCRYSTYK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »
WOW!,...Just awesome!

>>>--->

Offline BOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »
Joseph,
Thanks for sharing your hunts. The animals are beautiful!! It's also nice to put a face to the name. Congrats on your success.

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2005, 11:01:00 PM »
WOW---Neat story--Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2005, 03:59:00 AM »
You all are welcome, I am just trying to return the favor.  I have gotten a lot of entertainment from reading about others hunts on here.  Now where did we leave off? Oh ya, I had just got the Kudu.That afternoon after getting the Kudu loaded in the truck and seeing some Eland cows we moved to a different blind on the same property still looking for Zebra and now possibly Gemsbuck.  By the end of the day there were still no Zebra sightings and only 1 Gemsbuck that just didn't trust that funny looking termite mound with the black squares on it.  She was a smart cookie.
Day 9 - On the road again at 0600 going back to the place I had shot my Kudu still in hopes of seeing a Zebra.  This morning a bunch of Eland cows came in and had been there for probably 30 minutes when I start hearing this click, click, click, click sound.  Antonie looks at me and says the bulls are coming.  I wasn't planning on shooting one so I pick up my video camera and get ready to do a little videography.  All of those thoughts lasted for about 3 seconds after I laid eyes upon that first bull that walked in.  Then it was drop the camera, grab the bow, and load up one of my special arrows.  A footed Hexpine 90-95 pound spine with a 200 gr Doug Campbell Damascus trade point.  The PH was looking at me a little funny and finally asked me if I was going to shoot this Eland.  I'm sure that this was because of my earlier statement about not wanting to get one.  I replied in the affirmative and said he better get the camera on quick.  It was 15 more minutes before I got a nice, clear 12 yard shot and for once I wasn't fighting the shakes as I drew my bow.  I was tuned in to that little spot on his shoulder and that is right where the arrow went.  The Eland scatter, he runs roughly forty yards and then stops and starts looking around like he is wondering what just happened.  When he first took off there was about 10 inches of arrow sticking out of the near side shoulder, now there is nothing but a little trickle of blod coming from the entrance wound.  He just stood there for a couple of minutes while I was holding my breath then he did a big whole body shudder and went over on to his side!       :thumbsup:       The cows started coming back in almost as soon as he fell and since we knew he was down and out we called the truck right away      
Notice the spiffy attire I was wearing for the photo session.  The shot hit on the midline of the body about 2 inches in front of the crease of the shoulder and while it was very effective and my best shot yet we were wondering why there wasn't any blood coming out of his nose.  He had conveniently fell down on the side of a road which helped with the loading.  After he was caped out (which was done with the caping knife that came with the St. Judes quiver/bracer combo) and opened up it was dicovered that the arrow had gone through the meaty part of the shoulder, the near side ribs, the heart, the far side ribs, and into the oppisite shoulder for about 18 inches of total penetration.  This is the only animal I shot where I didn't have an exit wound.  The rest of the afternoon passed uneventfully a we returnd to the Citadel about 2000.  Just to give you and idea of the size of this critter, I am 6' tall and wiegh 300 pounds.  The arrows in my quiver are 32 inches from the bottom of the string groove to the tip of the BH, and my bow is 58" long. The carcass weight hanging on the rail was just shy of 700# and they told me that they have have gotten them as big as 980# carcass hanging on the rail.  They estimated mine at 1500# live weight.  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2005, 04:15:00 AM »
Man that eland is a big critter. Sounds like you had the hunt of a lifetime, Joseph
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Keener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2005, 04:37:00 AM »
Joseph, I am really enjoying these stories.
And the pictures are awesome!!
Congratulations on a great hunting adventure.
   :thumbsup:

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2005, 06:17:00 AM »
Joseph, great stories and pics. Looks like you did well.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Tracy McQueen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2005, 07:07:00 AM »
Congratulations on a great hunt Joseph, and thank you for sharing the pics and story.

One of these days, when the kids are older and if the good Lord let's me, I'm going there myself.

Super hunt!   :thumbsup:      :notworthy:
All the best to you,

Tracy McQueen

Please help support the Boy Scouts of America. Get a kid involved in Scouting!

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »
Wow Bud, that Eland is awesome.  Huge.  I think I'd have done the same thing you did deciding to try for one.  Cant wait to see if you get the zebra,  thats one of my favorite too!  Congrats so far.  Anymore action comin.  Something tells me there just might be.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2005, 09:39:00 AM »
Dang Buddy, that's just too cool!! Can't get most of the pics for some reason right now though. Maybe later.

Congrats again!!!
 :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »
Doug  you need to see the pics . that pic of the Eland if very fine .
Joseph a suggestion would have some 8x10 pics  made up and put near each mount as they go on the wall .thanks for the stories .-- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Madpigslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »
when the pictures came up both Hailey and I yelled...HOLY!!!!!! them dudes is HUGE!!!!

good shooting, good story!!! making me want to there you guys!!!!

:wavey:
...gosh this is hard.

Hailey (5) 3 minutes into a pilates workout

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2005, 11:43:00 AM »
When you have the time, I would like to see pic's of the arrows and heads that brought them down, especially that trade point.

Thanks,

Al

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©